Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.3

586 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Barista Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2012.

I had a manager from another Starbucks refer me to another manager at a nearby location. I was already a customer for 2 years and knew only the manager who referred me. The other manager approached me inside Starbucks and asked if I was interested in a job (I had tried to get a job at the store I frequented every day). I said yes and she asked me for my phone number and called me the next day to set up an interview time. It was about three days away. I showed up at the interview and it took only about 20 minutes. I was cheery and upbeat in my interview and was honest that I was not a morning person, which worked out great because she listened and started me out on nights after my two-week paid training. She called me about a day or two after saying I was hired and told me when my training started.

Interview Questions
  • What was one situation where you had a customer complaint and how did you address/fix the problem?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

The hiring process is simple. They invite you to the store after taking about three days to call you about your application. They talk about the company standards and policies and talk about dress code and job expectations. They ask questions about your previous job experience. If they are wanting to hire you, then you will know by the end of the interview, they will ask if you have your different forms of i.d. including your SSN/card. It takes about 5-7 days to finish the background check and they will call you in for training briefly afterwards.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ogden, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ogden, UT (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

I applied online and got a call to schedule an interview within a week.

I arrived and they offered me a drink, which I accepted. The manager asked basic questions for a service industry - have you worked in a restaurant/cafe environment before?, how would you handle a difficult customer?, etc. Asked if I was comfortable with cleaning bathrooms - I said yes. The interview seemed to go well and she said she'd probably call me with a job offer within 24 hours, but she never did. Easy interview process, really laid back.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you expect from a Starbucks barista, and do you exude that quality?"   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks.

Fairly casual. Got a free drink beforehand. I just sat with the manager and went over my resume and work experience. It was more of a friendly conversation than a Q&A format. I would've accepted the job but they were looking for people to work for the next 6 months.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Walla Walla, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walla Walla, WA (US)

interviewed at Starbucks in March 2010.

Applied online. Got an interview within a week. They wanted to know what my goals are in life and why starbucks. I told them i was in college and wanted a college job (basically), but i was committed for over one year if I was given the chance. A few days later I got a call back with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to know what I wanted to do after college. I told them the truth, which at the time I thought I was shooting myself in the foot,   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online for about four locations and a week later i got a call back. They lady asked me a couple questions nothing too hard but being it was my first call back and i was extremely nervous, of course i didn't get the interview. "Well there's other applicants we're looking at, i'll call you if anything comes up"

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

Called me and told me to go to a interview the next day. I went there, they told me that they were interviewing other people too. Had the interview with Manager, he asked me questions like ''why Starbucks?'' ''What's Starbucks goal?'' ''Tell me about a previous situation where you found out that a colleague was lazy, and what did you do'' ''Tell me about a time that a customer was very upset, and what did you do'' ''tell me about a time that you had to make a important decision without the manager''. After some hours they called me and asked me to come the next day to a 3 hour trial. A supervisor showed me how to clean tables, wash some dishes, and call the customers when the drinks were ready. When it ended she told me that they'd have other people to do trials, and if i was successful they would call me in 2 or 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • ''Tell me about a time that a customer was very upset, and what did you do?''   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

A friend of mine was hired at my Starbucks and let me know that the store manager needed to hire around 12 baristas to replace those that were going to leave to open a new store. I applied on August 1st, and my friend told me that the manager would check the following monday. About a week passed and I still received no phone call so I called the store, and it turns out that the manager was going to call me that same day because she had just finished reviewing my application. She did a mini phone interview where she asked me why I wanted to work at Starbucks and we set up an interview for the following wednesday. When I got to the store, I told the barista about my interview with the manager, and after coming from the back to let the manager know, he asked if I wanted something to drink while I waited. TAKE THE DRINK! My manager actually used it for the interview. The manager had a packet of questions to ask me (which probably don't differ too much from other Starbucks locations) and it was a bit longer than I was expecting. They were pretty much all situational questions (Ex: name a time when you had to complete a project in a short amount of time). She also asked me about what I was drinking, and how I would sell it to a customer (I would recommend looking at the Starbucks menu beforehand and learning how your favorite drink is made). After the interview she asked if I had any questions, and I learned that I would be making $8.25 an hour, plus tips (which she said was on average about $1.30 an hour). She told me that the training would be intense, and that since I would be working in a drive-thru location, the hours are a little longer. She told me that she had very little positions left, but that she was very impressed by me and that I would make a great addition to the Starbucks family. I also had to give her my date of birth so that she could authorize the background check that is required of all prospective employees. About a week after the interview is when I got the call letting me know that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Starbucks?
      How would you handle a dissatisfied customer?
      What do you do for fun?
        Answer Question
    After reading on Glassdoor that the average barista salary was $8.50-$9.00 an hour, I tried to negotiate my salary a little bit. I was very nervous about the negotiation because this is my first retail job, but the manager was very nice about it, asked me how much I wanted, and explained to me that the salary she offered me was pretty much the starting salary for every Starbucks barista in the area, and that only the baristas that have to pay for parking (like in garages or meters) are payed a little more to compensate. Either way, I don't regret asking and I recommend that everyone try to negotiate their salary!

Barista Interview

Interviewed with the asst. store manager. They have pre-made interview question cards, so they just grab those and flick through them and ask you questions. Look on the internet for standard interview questions and they are those. Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing. Pretty easy, they just want to make sure you're nice, not a moron can think and won't blow up on a customer who's venti triple latte has too much foam on it lol.

Interview Questions
    • Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing.   Answer Question
    None.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

I applied online in August, and within days I got a call for an interview.
    At the interview they asked if I wanted a drink, and we proceeded to talk. We had a long, nice conversation after which the manager decided to hire me.

Interview Questions

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!