Starbucks Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
1,273 Interview Reviews

2.5

Barista Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2012.

I had a manager from another Starbucks refer me to another manager at a nearby location. I was already a customer for 2 years and knew only the manager who referred me. The other manager approached me inside Starbucks and asked if I was interested in a job (I had tried to get a job at the store I frequented every day). I said yes and she asked me for my phone number and called me the next day to set up an interview time. It was about three days away. I showed up at the interview and it took only about 20 minutes. I was cheery and upbeat in my interview and was honest that I was not a morning person, which worked out great because she listened and started me out on nights after my two-week paid training. She called me about a day or two after saying I was hired and told me when my training started.

Interview Questions
    • What was one situation where you had a customer complaint and how did you address/fix the problem?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

The hiring process is simple. They invite you to the store after taking about three days to call you about your application. They talk about the company standards and policies and talk about dress code and job expectations. They ask questions about your previous job experience. If they are wanting to hire you, then you will know by the end of the interview, they will ask if you have your different forms of i.d. including your SSN/card. It takes about 5-7 days to finish the background check and they will call you in for training briefly afterwards.

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2010.

Honesty and integrity are critical to the interview process. Be able to speak to every point or fact you present. Can you explain the what's, why's, and results? There is no "correct" answer to be given. You need to respond in a way that shows how you function as a leader and manager. If you try to respond in a way you feel is the "correct" answer, you have already failed.

Interview Questions
    • Defining the difference between being a manager and a leader.   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2010.

Dropped off an application. I received a call from the store manager to come in for an interview. I spoke with the assistant manager and store manager for about 30 mins. They were both very friendly. Offered the job at the spot.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online and it took 4 weeks after constantly calling and asking about my application to finally have an interview this afternoon. they want to make sure you're interested in the job before they set up an interview. The manager was super friendly and sociable. I had a really great experience and felt the interview went great. I was super nervous at first, but she made me feel super comfortable and that helped me a lot. It was more of a friendly conversation than a formal off the clip board interview. which made it easier to talk with her. she asked me the following questions:
    1.) why starbucks?
    2.)what did you notice while being in the store?
    3.)when was a time a co-worker was treating you disrespectfully, and how did you react/handle it?
    4.)what was a time a co-worker was doing something against policy, and what did you do/ how did you fix the problem?
    that's all I can remember, hope I helped!:)

Interview Questions
    • if you had all the money in the world, where would you go?   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

First interview with recruiter was very generic, 2nd interview with recruiter was behavior based questions, asking to give examples of coaching and follow up. At this point, there wasn't a position open, but simply interviewing in case an opportunity opened up.

The follow up was my initiative; both email and voice mail. After applying on-line and not hearing anything, I'd found the recruiter and sent an email with my resume attached in order to get an interview. Same thing after both interviews, I'd needed to follow up.

Interview Questions
    • After reviewing an example of a less than positve customer experience and how I'd resolved the issue and coached the team, the recruiter asked ..... what did you do? It was as if they hadn't been listening.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
    -Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
    -Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
    -Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
    -Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
    -What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
    -What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
    -What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
    -Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
    -Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   View Answer
    Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Was a sign in the shop asking for staff and to ask someone. They said print off the application and bring it in with a CV. I did this. A few days later got a call (on a Sunday) offering to coming in for an interview the next day.
    They gave me a list of questions to rate myself on (eg. how caring would you say you are...) and then afterwards discussed these. Wasn't anything I had prepared for (Why Starbucks, why this job?, tell me a time worked in a team... etc) so it really threw me, and it was only my 3rd ever interview
    also I was REALLY nervous as I really really really wanted this job :(

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions on the sheet were hard as I didn't really understand some of the words in the sentences they used it eg. optimise.
      Also the interviewer had a really strong accent which I found hard to understand which didn't help
        View Answer

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2012.

I started by going online and applying for the position of store manager. I applied to 5 different stores that had a sign that said now hiring managers. The sign was misleading since it took about 4 months for someone to get in touch with me. From there I had a series of interviews, over the phone and one on one.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to do a coffee tasting and show my knowledge of coffee.   View Answer
    • What was the last project you managed and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Store Manager Starbucks Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Very organized, structured and detailed hiring process. Behavioral based questions asked during interview in which they made sure to make you feel comfortable talking. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors promises as they review the benefits and goal package compensation.

Interview Questions

Training program is old and not focused on the individual. It is more a check the block system with most the learning trail and error on the job.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!