Starbucks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
-Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
-Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
-What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
-What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
-What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
-Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
-Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details I had experience in coffee shops, learned the dress code, shirts with collars.....bought the book on CD, listen to it over and over, applied for the job, I had no tattoos, the assistant manager, had tattoos from her finger to her elbow! I no longer go to Starbucks.

Interview Question – Availability is the biggest issue. I said I was avail, 24 X7, including holidays, and I wouldbe happy to work any shift. I did not get a call back......they are looking for reasons NOT to hire you.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2013.

Interview Details Starbucks requires that you submit an online application, rather than applying in person. You apply via their site and can list up to 10 preferred stores. Your application is sent to the managers of those store first, then made available to other managers at a later date. In my experience, it was highly beneficial to go to the stores you applied to an ask to see the manager prior to being contacted about an interview. It helped to put a face to the name. If the stores are hiring, you will be contacted about an interview by the interested store manager. Mine took place in the back of the store and was fairly informal. My manager and I had a brief conversation (a get to know you sort of thing) then moved on to a series of situational questions. These are provided by the corporate office and I didn't get the impression that they varied among stores. They included: Tell us about a time you were late to work, what did you do? What is something you had to do for a job that you did not want to do? How did you handle it? etc. I was contacted with and offer within two weeks of interviewing.

Interview Question – All the questions were fairly straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not any negotiation. I began at local minimum wage ($8.25) and received a raise based on the regional profile after six months. After that, baristas receive a performance based raise every six months.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details I walked in with my resume and cover letter and was told to apply only first. The manager didnt take my resume but took my name and number. 3 days after I applied online I received a call for an interview. The interview was long but the questions weren't so bad.

Interview Question – What should a manager do or not do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I started with minimum wage.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Barista - Starbucks
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and got a call the next day, went in for an interview a few days later. I got a call exactly a week from the day I first applied saying I got the job. Manager was friendly and easy to talk with. He asked me a few questions on the phone before setting up my interview. Most questions were about customer service, accomplishments, and my experience with working with others. Environment was friendly, had coffee when I went in.

Interview Question – If you were an inanimate object, what would you be?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details Easy hire, easy interview. Met one on one and discussed your position and when to start. Most employees are very nice and overall this process was smooth. Once hired, you are trained but as to how well, it depends on location.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details first is a phone interview with HR. This will just be basic questions about your experience and what you are looking for in a job. Then is a in person interview with two district managers. they will ask more in depth questions about your experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you received unsolicited feedback about your performance.   View Answer

Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Interview Details So I went in. And they offered the drink. ALWAYS TAKE IT. Haha I learned that here, I came on here the night before. I sat down n waited for the manager. We sat down. N asked basic questions. Nothing too hard on previous work exp. And customer examples. Then availability. Then that was it.

Interview Question – When was there a time that someone wasn't satisfied with your work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 7.50 aka none

Barista

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details I submitted an online application, you cannot fill out applications in the store. I waited a few days and called the store I was trying to work at. Fortunately, the Store Manager answered the phone and was filing through applications when I called. I was asked a few questions about my prior work experience while he looked through my application. We then set up an interview time later in the week. While at the interview I was offered any drink I wanted and we sat in the cafe to go through the interview questions. It was a very relaxed and comfortable setting, all though it was a bit awkward not being in an area where current employees and customers couldn't overhear the conversation. After a couple minutes you will get comfortable with the laid back interview style. After the interview the manager told me to expect to hear back from him by Monday. (my interview was on a Thursday) I got a call, as promised, Monday afternoon and accepted the position. I started a few days later. The hiring process goes quickly. Once hired training begins as soon as possible and can last up to a couple weeks depending on how quickly you catch on.

Interview Question – The questions are pretty standard. I can't think of anything that was too difficult to answer. Most questions had to do with scenarios of how you would handle situations and what kind of worker you are. Pretty basic, nothing too challenging. If you don't understand the way the question is worded just ask! Most of the management I encountered were extremely friendly and willing to explain the questions further.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It seemed like all baristas start at minimum wage. Starbucks is very strict on how you submit your requests for certain hours (a form is filled out upon hire) you are able to change your availability whenever and depending on the store manager, they are very accommodating.

If considering a job at Starbucks I would definitely try and negotiate a high start pay, its worth a try, especially if you have had prior work experience in the same industry. I would definitely negotiate my terms of employment if I had it to do all over again.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details basic interview process . I also need to write thiry words for this process. The interview was easy and you do not need alot of expierence, this is my first job

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!