Stop & Shop

68 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Personal Shopper Interview

Medford, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stop & Shop in January 2014.

Interview Details Quick interview. Hired on the spot. no resume needed. created my schedule right at interview. no pressing questions. such an easy interview.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation on salary

Front End Cashier Interview

Cumberland, RI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Stop & Shop in April 2010.

Interview Details Asked basic questions about how well you know the store. What you feel cashiers should say to customers, very basic and easy.

Interview Question – Was very easy. If you find any questions are difficult you will be unemployed for a while.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Front End Cashier Interview

Smithtown, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop in August 2011.

Interview Details It was a very casual interview. A friend had recommended me to the position and as I had a good amount of experience already, I was not asked many questions.

Interview Question – Nothing really.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the hourly rate I was getting at my previous cashier position.

Clerk Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details You will wait for awhile for the manager to come down to talk to you, but they are super pleasant and meet with you for as long as needed. Once you get upstairs, you pretty much already work here so relax, but be honest about your availability. Nothing will get you on their crap list faster than saying you are available 24/7, and then tell them you can only work on Sundays. You will end up on carriages.

Interview Question – When they ask what role you are applying for, don't apply for carriages, porter, or bagger. Aim higher, the other employees will help you out if you get hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Union job, no negotiations available

Dairy Clerk Interview

Plymouth, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stop & Shop in April 2012.

Interview Details Straight forward, very relaxed interview.

Interview Question – Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Union, no negotiation. Min wage.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Dix Hills, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied for this job online, and their system for doing this is not very good. It seemed to have been designed in the 1990's, they seem to have literally done nothing with it since then, and it didn't work very well either.

I got called and asked if I could come for an interview the next day (no phone interview). This was an extremely quick and basic interview with no surprises, and the manager said it was an initial interview to get a feel for the candidates and that she would call me back for a second one later in the week.

I got a call for a second interview 4 days later, and this was essentially just a job offer and filling out paperwork. However, the job offer I got was not for the position I applied for (which was a cashier position) because there were no openings for that position. The manager did say, however, that she would keep me in mind for that position once it opened.

I would have been fine with that alone, but they wanted me for more hours than I was willing to work (I'm a college student, and I wasn't prepared to give up a good chunk of my social life for a job that I was just getting for some extra money). I ended up declining the offer on those grounds, and I continued my search elsewhere. It was mostly my fault for not inquiring about hours in the first interview, but most employers also ask about that prior to hiring you.

Overall, it was not a bad experience by any means- the manager I interviewed with was pleasant, and she seemed to mostly understand. However, I walked away thinking that the process could have been a lot more organized.

Interview Question – Tell me why you would be good for this position   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They didn't have an opening for the position I wanted, and they wanted me for too many hours to allow for a good balance between my work, school, and personal life.

Bakery Clerk Interview

Bakery Clerk

Interviewed at Stop & Shop

Interview Details I was called in for an interview and talked to the hiring manager for about 20 minutes. Most of the conversation was about what I was studying in school and what position I would enjoy (she said she had a cashier or bakery clerk position available). I was offered the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. Just why do you want to work here etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. It was minimum wage.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Hartford, CT (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details Conducted initial interview with myself the candidate and district HR manager. Next step was with regional manager and regional HR manager.

Interview Question – Most difficult was referring to most complicated interaction(s) with a previous supervisor and how it was dealt with, and the end result.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate.

Deli Associate Interview

Maspeth, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop in April 2010.

Interview Details Apply online. Get called to come in on specific date and time. No screening, no drug testing, no interview. Go in and you will meet a manager, they will tell you your job description and give you your uniform, and cards or a tutorial to punch in for work. You show up to work and they will train you for a day and then you must rely on fellow coworkers for help while the manager watches over you closely from a distance.

Interview Question – None there was no interview for me   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details Long time ago, I filled out an application online then a couple days later I went to the store and asked to see the hiring manager. They called her up and she set up a day I could come be interviewed.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. everyone starts minimum wage and you have to be a part of the union.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Stop & Shop

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stop & Shop interview questions and advice. All 68 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Stop & Shop employees and interview candidates.