TJX Companies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014
Updated Sep 21, 2014

2.8

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in April 2014.

Luckily I had 2 interviews at the same day. First with hiring manager and right after that with store manager. Very comfortable environment. HM read and asked question from a list she had (I think they ask those question to each candidate).

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme, 2014 Interview

I applied online - interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I applied through their website, and was required to fill out there questions based on past experiences, motivations to work for TK Maxx, etc. This process took around 20minutes. I was successful for their second stage process, and was invited to do a numerical and verbal test. They gave me around 5 days to complete this.

The maths was average, usually with ratio and percentages. It primarily consisted of (LONG) word problems. Although the question were easy, they only give you 25minutes to complete 10 questions, each question with 3 parts - This could of been easy to do if they gave me enough time. The verbal was very easy, just reading an extract and then answering questions about it.

They also required a video interview, where they give you questions (around 10), and you answer them by speaking to the camera, like a one sided interview.

The questions were for me (these change!!) :

1) What other brands did you apply to, and why?
    2) Why did you apply to the TJ Maxx Scheme?
    3) Describe a difficult task and how you achieved this.
    4) Describe a time when you worked within a team and its challenges.
    5) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Buying?
    6) What did you recognise when visiting a TK Maxx store and why is there a different stock at different branches?
    7) Describe a time when you put plan into practise.
    8) Biggest failure in uni/work and how you overcame this.
    9) Biggest achievement in work/uni.
    10) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Merchandising?

Interview Questions
    • They ask you about merchandising even though you are applying for a buying position so be prepared.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

First experience was horrible - 8 hours spent interviewing over multiple visits with no follow up or closure. Second experience was faster and smoother even though there was were still multiple visits.

Interview Questions
    • Tried to solicit solutions for very specific situations that they were currently dealing with.   Answer Question
    expectations were pretty clear from the beginning - little or no negotiation

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

First round: screen with HR with lots of behavioral questions.
    Second round: onsite with three members from the team. Overall an easy, pleasant process. Some of the questions asked included why TJX, describe your credentials, past projects, etc.

Didn't hear anything from them afterwards till I followed up

Interview Questions
    • Things to consider when choosing a location for a new store   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I had interviewed with TJX before, but wasn't hired because they wanted to talk to my supervisor at my job at the time, but I didn't want them to know I was looking to leave without an offer on the table. The interviews were both very pleasant and relaxed. Mostly conversational about your knowledge of loss prevention and sharing old stories! The only odd part was the first manager wanting to talk to my supervisor when I had provided them our HR number to confirm employment. The second manager simply let Lexis Nexis handle all of my background. I applied online and received a call for an interview in about two weeks. At the interview, they had me complete some further paperwork for my background check. My background check was said to take between one and three weeks, but mine took about 10 days. Another guy hired with me at the same time took three weeks though. Overall it appears their interviews are more about what you know instead of how you interview which really helps those who know LP well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your most difficult shoplifter apprehension.   Answer Question
    I chose not to negotiate as they offered me what I had requested on my application and were very fair.

Merchandising Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

The whole process took about a month. Started with a phone interview, didn't hear back for 2 weeks and then was contacted for an in person interview. The second interview involved meeting with 5 managers, individually.

Merchandise Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bronx, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I thought the interviewer was relaxed but professional. Just be yourself and engaging. Make sure you have eye contact and smile. They asked very basic questions and the schedule seem to be very flexible.

Interview Questions

it was personal reason....had nothing to do with the job

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  DFW, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at TJX Companies in August 2010.

You will be contacted by the district secretary to set up an interview. You will be given a preliminary interview by a store manager, but not necessarily the one you will be working with. They will ask you about your past experience, your reasons for wanting to work for the company, and your knowledge of the company. There are no real set questions, so the length of the interview depends of the interviewing style of the manager. After they give their recommendations to the district manager, if they decide in your favor, you will be asked to go into a second interview with the district manager. He will then again ask you a series of questions that may or may not be the same as the ones asked by the store manager. Keep in mind, that the ORDER of these two interviews could be reversed. The amount of time you will then wait for a response will then depend on the urgency of filling the position.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel that this would be the right move for you?( I was wanting to transfer divisions)   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southlake, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TJX Companies in May 2012.

I met once with the store manager and began work the following week after my interview and after my background check had been processed. The two store managers were very nice and willing to work with pre-arranged vacation plans that my family and I had. It was also pretty easy to request a certain number of hours.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was quite basic and involved the interviewer getting to know you rather than difficult questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at TJX Companies.

very quick and easy interview..questions about background and prior experience...the process was just really a way of getting to know you. If you get interviewed you basically have the job.

no negotiation process...they offer a salary and you either take it or leave it

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!