TUI Travel

Personal SWOT analysis
    Online tests
    Phone interview
    Assessment center

Extensive process and a 2 day assessment center at the end where you have to do various group and individual exercises as well as interview.

Interview Questions
    • When were you in an ambiguous situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

International Graduate Leadership Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TUI Travel.

1st round: CV selection and motivation
    2nd round: SWOT Analysis, of your own strengths and weaknesses
    3rd round: Telephone interview
    Questions:
    - How do you motivate people?
    - Why should we pick you above others?
    - Give an example of when you were creative.
    - Give a leadership example.
    4rd round: Assessment Centre (in Hannover)
    6 Rounds:
    - New product
    In this round you have to think of a new product to reach a certain customer group. This is done in a group of 4 people.
    - Presentation
    In this round you have to present your new product (incl. costs, revenues, strategy etc) to the rest of the group and assessors.
    - Acquisition
    As an acquisition analyst you will get the choice between two companies, then you will need to convince the other acquisition analysts to take your company
    - Individual assignment on the sales distribution mix
    You will need to present the future sales distribution mix (online, retail, call centre) to two assessors. During this presentation you will need to show the calculations, analyses, action plans, medium term solutions etc. 45 minutes of preparation time is given before the presentation starts
    - Business analyses
    There is a case of a hotel group which performs poorly. You will need to analyse a deck of information and interview a 'manager of that hotel group'. This exercise can be seen as a role playing exercise.
    - Speed networking
    During this round you will speak 6 assessors, and you need to tell you motivation, strategic views, strengths etc.

The 4rd round is also the final round. Assessors are business managers of TUI who will eventually take you up in their team when they hire you.

Operations Manager Interview

Postion found via a HR company. Preliminary phone interview with Company HR mgr, then interview with Hiring manager. Interview was a review of my background, and more a discussion about how to deal with various situations. Offer was made direct from HR manager.

Graduate Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TUI Travel in September 2014.

I sent my application off and received a confirmation email almost immediately. 3 weeks later I received an email saying that although they liked my application, there was a high level of interest for the role so they were keeping my details on file. Then, I received an email inviting me for a telephone interview, which I booked the same day for 2 days later. 5 days after my phone interview I received an invite to an assessment day, which I booked for the only available date, which was 7 days after I received the invite. I was also told that I would be sent a link to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment. I was supposed to receive a confirmation email but this never happened, so I called the head office who put me in touch with the relevant department. I got the impression that they were quite busy as they didn't send me the link for the assessments until 3 days after the initial invite to the assessment day, which was 4 days before the assessment day itself. The tests themselves I found pretty difficult, although we were never told how we performed on these tests.

At the interview itself there were 14 candidates in total. First of all we had a group exercise where we had to come up with a new brand of holiday in groups of 7 and then present it to the rest. Next, we had a role-play exercise where we had to sell a holiday to a difficult individual. We had 10 minutes to prepare and I found that I ran out of time preparing what I was going to say and I felt out of my depth in the whole thing as I have no sales experience (very few of the candidates did) and they knew this from my application. Finally, there was an individual interview which comprised of some pretty general questions about my experience and some competency-based questions.

I received a rejection email within a week and I called a week ago to see if I could get some feedback. I haven't heard anything back so far.

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TUI Travel in July 2014.

Applied online and received invitation to interview shortly afterwards (within 2 weeks). Attended an interview in the offices in Crawley.

At first I was asked to complete a copywriting task, writing engaging copy by hand for an online brochure having been given the basic information required. I understand that this was a test of my literacy and competency, but in what world do copywriters write by hand?

The interview questions were not challenging and seemed to be looking for a specific answer rather than aiming to get to know my strengths and personality which is not what I might have expected from a first round interview. A couple of questions about their brand which demonstrates the ability to parrot info from the internet rather than looking at the competency of my marketing skills.

When I asked about the culture of the business and challenged the interviewers to explain the biggest challenges of working for TUI, as well as asking about professional development opportunities, the answers were poor. Professional development meant soft skills courses and powerpoint - I was thinking more along the lines of professional qualifications, leadership programmers, rigorous mentoring opportunities. Hmmm.

I got the distinct impression that these 2 were not interested in me after about 5 mins and were just going through the motions. A shame as I thought that this company would be a stimulating place to work.

3 months on I have yet to hear whether I progressed or not. They seemed unsure of whether they would run an assessment day, offer 2nd round interviews etc. Clearly they couldn't even be bothered to send a generic rejection email.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TUI Travel in June 2014.

Stage 1 was application form, stage 2 tests, phone interview then assessment centre. Assessment was a group exercise, which was deciding the details of a holiday then giving a presentation. Make sure you know brands. Then a case study (2 people) about certain issues/goals in the company, how would you tackle and then questions on those. Then an interview with two assessors. The whole day was pretty relaxed and seemed a great place to work! It is really really competitive so make sure you really speak up in the group tasks. And do loads of research!

Interview Questions
    • What did you enjoy about your degree? Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge? Tell me about a time you improved something?   Answer Question

Inbound Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at TUI Travel in February 2014.

I found the initial job post on an online job portal and applied via the TUI careers website (slightly annoying, involved putting in salary expectations, which you always feel under pressure to not overstate in order to be in with a better chance. I put in a relatively modest sum that is worth less than I am, really, as a minimum, and this was, coincidentally, the precise amount that was offered at a later point in the interview).

I received an invitation to interview via employee administrative email about a month later, scheduled for the following week. The date they had pre-selected was inconvenient, and I would have preferred that they call to arrange, rather than assume my availability. Nevertheless, I was able to rearrange for another mutually convenient date (though the administrator's email response took 2 days and was rather blunt).

There was no one at the reception to the quite large and confusingly laid-out building, so I had to find the right office on my own, which made me a few minutes late. Even so, there was some waiting around in the office for my interviewers for around 10-15 minutes.

The interviewer that met with me was pleasant, and took me into a room to complete a handwritten blog-writing assignment. I was allowed 30 mins, and was vaguely asked to write about "my last holiday". No target audience, word count or other specifics/directions were given, which made it somewhat challenging, and slightly reminiscent of those back-to-school, post-half-term writing assignments. I realise that the handwritten aspect may have been to assess spelling etc., but not having computer access (for a computer-based job) was bizarre and inconvenient.

After this, I was taken back to the waiting area again while my interviewers read over my magnum opus. 5-10 mins later, I was taken into another room for the face-to-face interview with two interviewers (the marketing manager and the team member manager, who had shown me into the first room for the writing test).

This was fairly standard, with no particularly difficult questions. The main interviewer hadn't seemed to have checked over my CV very thoroughly in advance at all, and asked me some irrelevant and surface-skimming questions that showed this - not a good sign. Otherwise, I was mostly asked questions that arose from responses I had given as opposed to prepared questions, and asked general questions about qualities I had, rather than specific experience and skills. The interview did not last as long as I anticipated, and the main interviewer came across as quite tired and disinterested from start to finish. I even tried to lighten the atmosphere by cracking an innocuous joke at one point, which was met with stony silence. Geez.

I felt I performed well, but came away with the distinct impression they had already pretty much decided they would not employ me and did not like the fact that I lived over an hour away (a comment was made about how long it takes to drive from my address, but they did not seem interested enough to ask whether I would be willing to relocate or not - which I was). This made it seem that there was little I could have done to succeed in this situation, which left me feeling somewhat powerless and put out.

At the interview's conclusion, I asked if they would like to view my online portfolio, which they expressed an interest in. I emailed it that afternoon to their secretary to pass on, as I wasn't given their contact details. No one responded, but I instead received a rejection email the next day. Lovely.

Oh, and the email was automated and could not be responded to, so I was unable to get any feedback, either.

Interview Questions
    • Please hand-write a blog post about your last holiday.   Answer Question

Tui International Leadership Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TUI Travel in January 2013.

The hiring process consists in a application screening, a SWOT of oneself, standard tests (logic, verbal...), a phone interview and a 2-day long assessment center in Luton, UK.
    The hiring is done from the German head office by one person. It is not a point system.

Interview Questions
    • speednetworking:
      "trends in travelling industry"
      " a situation where you didnt take risk"
      " how to communicate strategy"
        View Answer

International Management Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannover (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannover (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TUI Travel in November 2012.

Several steps:
    1. CV

2. SWAT analysis of yourself
    Be honest and show potential fit with tourism industry

3. Online logical and numerical tests
    Hard but only require hitting the minimum score. Time is big issue here

4. Behavioral Interview
    see below

5. Assessment Center
    see below

They have 3 assessment centers per year and hire around 5-8 people. Selection is tough and can take a lot of time

Interview Questions
    • In interview classical behavioral questions (failure, success, leading a team, steering a team towards your opinion, 3 reasons for applying, what makes you unique)

In assessment center (12 people), 6 different exercises. Two in pairs, two in groups and two individual.

Pairs: case analysis and discussion
      Groups: product innovation case, presentation and Q&A
      Individual: presentation and "speed-networking", 5 minutes talks with TUI managers about personal and business issues ( current challenges for industry, fit with company values etc)
        Answer Question

Yield Assistant Interview

We're committed to protecting our community from fraudulent submissions that might affect our ratings and reviews.

We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, and in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

We will not post reviews containing:

•Rants, venting, or obscenities
    •Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)
    •Aggressive or discriminatory language
    •Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts
    •Content not relevant or helpful to our community