TUI Travel

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inbound Marketing Assistant Interview

Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in February 2014.

Interview Details I found the initial job post on an online job portal and applied via the TUI careers website (slightly annoying, involved putting in salary expectations, which you always feel under pressure to not overstate in order to be in with a better chance. I put in a relatively modest sum that is worth less than I am, really, as a minimum, and this was, coincidentally, the precise amount that was offered at a later point in the interview).

I received an invitation to interview via employee administrative email about a month later, scheduled for the following week. The date they had pre-selected was inconvenient, and I would have preferred that they call to arrange, rather than assume my availability. Nevertheless, I was able to rearrange for another mutually convenient date (though the administrator's email response took 2 days and was rather blunt).

There was no one at the reception to the quite large and confusingly laid-out building, so I had to find the right office on my own, which made me a few minutes late. Even so, there was some waiting around in the office for my interviewers for around 10-15 minutes.

The interviewer that met with me was pleasant, and took me into a room to complete a handwritten blog-writing assignment. I was allowed 30 mins, and was vaguely asked to write about "my last holiday". No target audience, word count or other specifics/directions were given, which made it somewhat challenging, and slightly reminiscent of those back-to-school, post-half-term writing assignments. I realise that the handwritten aspect may have been to assess spelling etc., but not having computer access (for a computer-based job) was bizarre and inconvenient.

After this, I was taken back to the waiting area again while my interviewers read over my magnum opus. 5-10 mins later, I was taken into another room for the face-to-face interview with two interviewers (the marketing manager and the team member manager, who had shown me into the first room for the writing test).

This was fairly standard, with no particularly difficult questions. The main interviewer hadn't seemed to have checked over my CV very thoroughly in advance at all, and asked me some irrelevant and surface-skimming questions that showed this - not a good sign. Otherwise, I was mostly asked questions that arose from responses I had given as opposed to prepared questions, and asked general questions about qualities I had, rather than specific experience and skills. The interview did not last as long as I anticipated, and the main interviewer came across as quite tired and disinterested from start to finish. I even tried to lighten the atmosphere by cracking an innocuous joke at one point, which was met with stony silence. Geez.

I felt I performed well, but came away with the distinct impression they had already pretty much decided they would not employ me and did not like the fact that I lived over an hour away (a comment was made about how long it takes to drive from my address, but they did not seem interested enough to ask whether I would be willing to relocate or not - which I was). This made it seem that there was little I could have done to succeed in this situation, which left me feeling somewhat powerless and put out.

At the interview's conclusion, I asked if they would like to view my online portfolio, which they expressed an interest in. I emailed it that afternoon to their secretary to pass on, as I wasn't given their contact details. No one responded, but I instead received a rejection email the next day. Lovely.

Oh, and the email was automated and could not be responded to, so I was unable to get any feedback, either.

Interview Question – Please hand-write a blog post about your last holiday.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I interviewed at TUI Travel in May 2011.

Interview Details There were about 12 people in my assessment centre group, each of them had a Master's degree (except from me) and I found this quite strange! Anyways, for me this was the 1st assessment centre and I found it quite stressful in the beginning!

There were about 6 people watching you and they take notes of every single word you say during the group excercises! Quite daunting! They watch very closely your BODY LANGUAGE so try and be positive and smile at everyone at any time! Try to aknowledge the contribution of each member of your group ! You have to show leadership behaviour but at the same time you should not seem like imposing yourself on the others...

The exercises would almost always require knowledge of a multiple of business functions i.e. marketing, finance etc. Try and take part in ALL discussions even if you don't feel as an expert in Finance (let's say) compared to someone in your group who has a MSc Finance degree! You have to appear confident and competent in EVERY ASPECT of the task never mind the division of tasks within the team! Otherwise they would grade you down!

They will ask for a lot of written feedback after each of the exercises so think about how you could show some self analysis!

They will be judging your analysis skills, presentation skills... everything! BUT always from the perspective of their VALUES! So try and always focus on showing how you are customer obsessed and incorporate all the things they stand for! Because in the end, the feedback will be structured around those values!

Interview Question – They can set up unexpected scenarios of the task.   Answer Question

Tui International Leadership Graduate Program Interview

Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at TUI Travel in January 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process consists in a application screening, a SWOT of oneself, standard tests (logic, verbal...), a phone interview and a 2-day long assessment center in Luton, UK.
The hiring is done from the German head office by one person. It is not a point system.

Interview Question – speednetworking:
"trends in travelling industry"
" a situation where you didnt take risk"
" how to communicate strategy"
  View Answer

International Management Graduate Programmer Interview

Hannover (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at TUI Travel in November 2012.

Interview Details Several steps:
1. CV

2. SWAT analysis of yourself
Be honest and show potential fit with tourism industry

3. Online logical and numerical tests
Hard but only require hitting the minimum score. Time is big issue here

4. Behavioral Interview
see below

5. Assessment Center
see below

They have 3 assessment centers per year and hire around 5-8 people. Selection is tough and can take a lot of time

Interview Question – In interview classical behavioral questions (failure, success, leading a team, steering a team towards your opinion, 3 reasons for applying, what makes you unique)

In assessment center (12 people), 6 different exercises. Two in pairs, two in groups and two individual.

Pairs: case analysis and discussion
Groups: product innovation case, presentation and Q&A
Individual: presentation and "speed-networking", 5 minutes talks with TUI managers about personal and business issues ( current challenges for industry, fit with company values etc)
  Answer Question

Yield Assistant Interview

Interviewed at TUI Travel

Interview Details We're committed to protecting our community from fraudulent submissions that might affect our ratings and reviews.

We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, and in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

We will not post reviews containing:

•Rants, venting, or obscenities
•Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)
•Aggressive or discriminatory language
•Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts
•Content not relevant or helpful to our community

Interview Question – •Text in ALL CAPS or using excessively poor grammar   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Trading Assistant Interview

Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in June 2012.

Interview Details The half day consisted of a group exercise, maths test, interview and commercial exercise. Really not what I was expecting at all. Make sure you are good at maths before applying as it is a maths based role (ratios, load factors, ect).

In the group exercise we had to decide out of two locations which would be the best to put another flight on for. This involved analysing a huge amount of data and justifying reasons for your decision with other team members.

The maths test purely focussed on things such as load factors, percentages and holiday prices. This was extremely difficult and not what I had prepared for. It isn't anything like one of the holiday rep exams that many people have commented about.

The interview was probably one of the easiest parts with some fairly standard questions asked (strengths, weaknesses, ect).

The commercial exercise was again similar to the group exercise and maths test - analysing variables such as load factors and stating the best/worst performing area. This was part of the actually interview and you were given 10 minutes to work out which the answers and then feed back to the two interviewers.

Interview Question – State the best performing area of the year by analysing the factors displayed in the table. (Maths test question)   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at TUI Travel.

Interview Details I applied to participate for the graduate program directly on the site. I then had to fill out a rapid assessment on the site. Was then contacted to conduct a phone interview. I was there explained about the numbers of people applying for the job, the probability to get in and the successive steps. Interview was mostly aimed at understanding if I had any previous experience in Hospitality

Interview Question – Why did you choose to apply if you don´t have a background in hospitality management   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had better offers somewhere else

Graduate Program Interview

Luton, East of England, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at TUI Travel in April 2012.

Interview Details -2-to-1 interview for 45 mins
-group work for 1 hour
-presentations
-pairs work for problem solving
-Role play

The location was not the best but very close to London.
The office was really nice, showing very strong culture & very relaxed for Friday's seeing as it's casual dressing.

Interview Question – A situation when you've changed someone's mind.   Answer Question

Check In Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at TUI Travel in March 2011.

Interview Details I spoke to the Supervisor briefly over the phone. She schedule me for a group interview with other interviewees. Once I arrived at the location with the other interviewees, we were shown a slide show presentation about the company (we also filled out applications and questionairres). The Supervisor supported the slideshow by speaking about her own experience with the company and what characteristics are expected of the perspective employee and also what the employee can expect from the company. After the presentation was over, she spoke with each of us individually and asked a few questions. At that point she either offered the applicant a position or told the applicant she would get back to them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with the public and were under extreme pressure.   Answer Question
  • What type of personality do you have? Can you remain calm and keep a smile on your face even if a guest is rude and irate?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiations, the wage was the same across the board for new employees.

Overseas Operations Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in November 2008.

Interview Details Internal promotion. Interviewed alongside external and internal candidates.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TUI Travel interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews are posted anonymously by TUI Travel employees and interview candidates.