Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct 2014
Updated 15 Oct 2014

3.5

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long and involves a lot of periodic submissions (online activity, transcript, recommendations, etc.) My original application paid off, however, and I didn't have to participate in the phone interviews which helped me focus more on the other parts of the application process.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The application and interview process is clearly defined on their website. It consists of three stages: extensive application, phone interview, and final interview. The application and phone interview are straight forward enough. In the phone interview they asked questions like "Describe a conflict that you had with another co-worker or person and how you resolved it" or "How do you stay organized." The final interview consisted of a five minute teaching sample (be prepared beforehand), a group problem solving exercise, and then a one-on-one interview. I did my final interview virtually through WebX. So, the example teaching lesson required a little more preparation than an in-person interview. In the one-on-one interview, the interviewer asked followup questions with my resume, phone interview, and some questions about the problem solving exercises. Some of the questions I got were: "What would cause you to resign from TFA" and "What would you do if you were offered a middle school math contract instead of a high school English contract."

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think schools are the heart of the community?   View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Pretty intense process. First an online application then a phone interview, and if you make it past the phone interview you will have a final interview that includes a lesson plan presentation, one-one and group interview, and role-playing

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Found most of them on glassdoor. Just do your research   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

The hiring and interview process was quite simple and predictable. Apply, receive online notification. Receive phone interview, receive in-person interview (group interview, model lesson, individual interview). Several weeks later receive decision notification.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine that you work in a failing school evidenced by student achievement data. Students do not want to come to school, parents are not involved, teachers have low morale. Which of these constituent groups is the key to success in turning the school around? What would you do with this one constituent group to fix their collective problem?   View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

A very standard interview, besides the group part. But don't be intimidated by that; I believe they use it to weed out those with public speaking issues and those who are so antisocial that they can't fake it for 10 minutes. The one on one was simple. Simple questions, give simple/honest answers. But make sure to tell them you will not quit; that's what TFA is looking for (people who won't quit no matter how ridiculous their situation).

Interview Questions
    No negotiation or even decisions to be had; you say yes and they place you without you having any say.

Corps Member Interview

There is a 5 stage interview, application, phone interview, three part in person interview. The interview process is very intense and detailed. Be prepared to answer behavioral questions. Try to align your answers/application to the core values and be sure to provide quantitative examples.

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Teach for America.

I had two telephone interviews, the first with HR and the second with department manager. The first interview went well, leading to the next interview being set up the following day.

Interview Questions
    • The department manager asked generic textbook type questions which I didn't think were indicative of how an interviewee would perform on the job.   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

There were a total of six interviews in total and all of them were virtual. One of the interviews had a case study which i had to define a plan and present to a group.

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

There is a 5 stage interview, application, phone interview, three part in person interview. The interview is super intensive, like an interrogation almost. They are going to through trick questions, a ton of behavioral questions. i think this interview doesn't really capture what tfa is all about.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation. the employee has no voice.

Teacher Interview

Insanely long interview process only to be assigned a subject level that I stated I did not want. It was thus very frustrating. They need to be more upfront about the fact that some one requesting older students can go through the long process, get accepted, only to get assigned to pre-k.