Teach for America

Updated 19 Feb 2015
Updated 19 Feb 2015

3.5

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

First, I applied online. Then waited for the decision. Afterwards, I had my final interview. I was abroad at the time, so I had to do a virtual interview. The entire interview process was pretty lengthy.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Very straightforward phone interview. Standard questions. Be yourself, but be serious about TFA. I enjoyed the interview experience thoroughly. The interview highlights what TFA stands for and without saying, they let you know what they're seeking.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a difficult challenge that you've faced and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Got contacted by on-campus recruiter and was told to apply. I applied, didn't have to do a phone interview, and was moved on to the final interview. The final interview was in group format and they gave us a scenario to discuss and a quick 5 minute teaching lesson. After that, we had one on one interviews with our group interview facilitators.

Interview Questions

I felt like I wanted to do something else with my career projectile and if I didn't have a great passion for TFA after the interview process then I probably shouldn't waste their time by not putting my all into being a corps member.

Corps Member Interview

Interview process took over a month, but it was a great experience. You get to learn about the organization and how you can make an impact. Make sure you express your passion and be involved in the group portion of the interview. Be confident and you will do well!

Teaching Position Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process takes about a month. There are many components: application, phone interview, 2 recommendations, test, and a whole day interview. The day interview consisted of four parts. Each candidate prepares a teaching sample. Then, here is a group activity followed by questions. In the afternoon, each candidate has a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a students in being unresponsive?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions
    • What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   View Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Starts off with basic GPA and general info. The next round is a phone interview and short essay questionaire. All of the interviewers were personal and easy to talk with. The final round involved a five minute lesson plan, a group activity, and a one on one interview. Make sure that you positively contribute to the group activity, and listen to the other applicants ideas. The one on one interview was easy going and friendly.

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.

Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

TFA does an amazing job with the interview process. It started with a phone interview with human resources, then a phone call with hiring manager and a follow up call with examples of work. Finally there was an assignment that you completed and discussed at the last in-person interview. Very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions
    Do not really negotiate pay - human resources specifically tells you they will not negotiate.