Teach for America Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
427 interviews

3.5

Corp Member Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

i had a phone interview as well as the day long group interview a few weeks later. Both experiences were generally pleasant. I enjoy talking about education and issues related to it, so I tended to ramble. The phone interview was casual, with questions about "a time when you were challenged" and "what is your organization style."

Interview Questions
    • Actually describing your organization and scheduling style required me to think about why I do what I do.   Answer Question

Recruitment Manager Interview

Lots of activities and different rounds of interviews with different people.
    This is a great chance to really get to know the nature of the work though and to get a thorough understanding of the organization's staff culture, especially since most candidates hired into this role come out of the Corps.

Director Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

3 interviews, phone, 2 in person. Very straight forward- Know your role and work and the interview will be easy. 1 take home project submitted relating to the role was assigned and submitted.

Corps Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.

Teacher Interview

interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I received a call promptly at my designated time and the interview began. The interview solid me a few times to write down some of my answers.I think that preparing yourself with one of the many teacher interview question on the internet will give your an overall idea of the type of questions that the tfa person will ask you.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths?
      Tell be about a goal/task that you accomplished.
      Festive a conflict you get had with a coworker and how was it resolved
        View Answer

Interviewee Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Athens, GA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I will not elaborate on the actual process because we are sworn to confidentiality but I will most definitely give you words of advice that will directly correlate to the application process.

1. If you make it t the phone interview, make sure you are prepared and confident with everything from TFA's core values and mission statement to the volunteer hours you did a few years back that you decided to put on your resume.

2. It is normal to be nervous but know that the interviewers are very kind and helpful and only want to see you succeed.

3. Once you are done with the interview, ask questions! I cannot stress this enough. If you have a chance to speak to someone who is currently in the corp why not ask them one-on-one the question or questions (if you have time) that you have been most curious about.

Most importantly, confidence is key. Be sure that you are passionate and confident about this organization!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected, just know that they will focus on your resume.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Teach for America.

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Haven, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

The process is known for being rigorous, and the reputation is deserved. You turn in a few essays at the beginning with your basic stats, and then they might call you for a phone interview. Then you go to an in-person group interview where you must give a 5-minute sample lesson (demonstrating that you know 5-step lesson planning), talk about an article related to education, and do a 1-on-1 interview with a recruiter.

Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The online application is very thorough. I recommend meting with a recruiter to help answer any questions you amy have. Some applicants are required to do a phone interview; others are advanced to the final interview day. Before the final interview day, there are many forms to complete and files to upload. This takes time! You also need to secure two recommenders and one reference. The final interview day includes a sample lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

none

TFA Corps Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

The first step is the online application. After this I was invited to a phone interview and had to complete an online assessment. The phone interview was not bad, mostly asked about your leadership experiences. The assessment had you listen to a scenario and write a few responses. It also had a test that had you interpret charts and data. Next step was the in person interview. You had to teach a sample lesson plan in front of the group, then read an article and have a discussion, then you had a personal interview. The interview included a role play which was difficult and the interviewer was aggressive. Asked how it made me feel when I didn't get my way, how far would I push, what info did I wish I had? What would you do if you had an 8th grade class that read at a 3rd grade level, what would be your goal for them? How do you stay organized?