Teach for America

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Director, Business Analysis Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2012.

Interview Details Extremely long process. Takes time to get on folks calendars. Multiple interviews in the same day and multiple interviewers in the same interview. The organization is difficult to get into and the interview process is how they manage it. HR is slow to respond even if they are very much interested in you.

Interview Question – Be prepared to answer questions around the mission and vision of TFA and how they pertain to you. Technical questions are minimal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Zero negotiation

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details online application, final interview

Interview Question – What are you greatest strengths?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details phone interview was about resume

Interview Question – have you ever been in a conflict with someone you worked with and what did you do about it   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

Interview Details I actually felt cheated with my interview considering how much time and effort I put into preparing. My interviewer spent the first 5 minutes talking about how tired and exhausted she was and yawned throughout the interview stating she was tired. Overall very disappointing and turned me off from reapplying.

Interview Question – It was pretty straightforward. Be prepared to answer many questions from your application.   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Operations Coordinator
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2011.

Interview Details Very long interview process. Questions specifically targeting organization/prioritization/project management skills. Interview probes for as specific of answers as possible that reveal a true thought process and detailed steps within your answer.

Interview Question – Many questions regarding a challenge you faced and how you prioritized, asked in many different ways - be prepared with multiple examples of how you have faced challenging workloads, communication issues, relationship issues, organizational challenges, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations b/c it is a non profit. You accept or decline.

TFA Corps Member Interview

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Question – How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Assistant
Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in June 2010.

Interview Details First, I had a phone interview with a member of their Human Assets team, who asked me basic questions I would expect in any interview process. Then, I interviewed in person with members of the sub-team I applied to join. Finally, I interviewed with other members of the larger team to which that sub-team belongs. I got the impression that the key interview was the second one - the first was more of a screen, and the final was more to make sure I could get along with the people I would be working with on the periphery.

Interview Question – They asked me to explain what their team did. In theory, it sounds like an easy question to answer, but looking someone in the eye and telling them what exactly it is that they do was surprisingly difficult.   Answer Question

Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

Interview Question – Tell me what a typical Wednesday would look like   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

Interview Question – What would lead you to quit TFA?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Interview Details Online Application (see website for details). Then, you have to wait a long time. Then, a possible phone interview. Phone interview focused on areas of impact or leadership experience. Then, all day group interview followed by an individual interview. Had to do a mock lesson, group project, and discussions. Then, wait more to hear back. Overall, took 2 months.

Interview Question – Proving your track record of success quantitatively.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary and benefits are provided by schools district.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America