Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 28 Sep 2014
Updated 28 Sep 2014

3.5

Middle School Math Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Teach for America.

It was very involved and intense, but if you speak to anyone who is a teacher and have them review your practice lesson, you'll be fine. Keep it short, to the point, and allow for questions and independent work. Remember, you're not just having them take notes. You want your interviewers to remember you and your engaging lesson.

Be prepared for someone to get a question wrong in your lesson, and practice ways to respond. They looked really hurt when another person interviewing gave a flat out, "no."

Interview Questions
    • What do you do in the face of adversity?   View Answer
    There's no negotiation. You accept or reject.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process was tedious but not too difficult. They pretend like any and everyone is eligible and actually has a shot at getting accepted. They accept around 12% of applicants, so beware. The interviewers are very friendly and make you feel at ease. Just be yourself.

Teach for America Corp Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Online Application, Phone Interview, Final Interview

N/A

online application, final interview

Teacher Interview

phone interview was about resume

Interview Questions
    • have you ever been in a conflict with someone you worked with and what did you do about it   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Questions
    • How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

No negotiation.

Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

After completing an activity demonstrating our ability to plan and organize a typical day at the Institute, we discussed the plan I had submitted and the reasoning behind my decisions. Pretty basic. The interviewer then asked about my interest in Teach For America and my reasons for applying for the position. She asked what was one of the most challenging experiences I have encountered. Also, she asked for a time when I disagreed with a supervisor.

Interview Questions
    The offer was straight forward - no negotiation took place.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Process included an online application, which was straightforward enough, but took a while to complete. This was followed by a phone interview - I'm not supposed to share the questions, but most of them can be found on glassdoor - and an online activity, which was somewhat odd.