Teach for America

Getting the Interview

400 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Online form and short essay questions, then invited for a short screening phone interview.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected, but the phone interview is odd because it feels like you're talking to a machine.   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Operations Coordinator

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details After completing an activity demonstrating our ability to plan and organize a typical day at the Institute, we discussed the plan I had submitted and the reasoning behind my decisions. Pretty basic. The interviewer then asked about my interest in Teach For America and my reasons for applying for the position. She asked what was one of the most challenging experiences I have encountered. Also, she asked for a time when I disagreed with a supervisor.

Interview Question – None - all were pretty expected given the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was straight forward - no negotiation took place.

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details There was an online application which you answered short answers about why you wanted to work for TFA, questions about your leadership/experiences. From there I was invited to a phone interview, which was a pretty basic,typical interview, where she asked questions about my resume, why I want to work for them, ect. After I had to do an online activity and then invited to a final interview. The final interview, personally was the most enjoyable part of the process. The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, which you teach to all of the other interviewees, a group activity/discussion, introduction of the interviewers and a chance to ask them questions, and then a one on one interview. The interviewers were very friendly and enthusiastic, which in turn made me more comfortable and excited to join.

Interview Question – You had to role play a scenario with your interviewer, which could range from a variety of topics involving education, and problems you'll face in the classroom. Mine was trying to convince the principle why I (as a teacher) should take the class on a field trip. It was only difficult because it can be a bit awkward and strange to role play   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Operations Coordinator

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details The interview process for this position is conducted by one main interviewer, a director-level worker, and a few director-level others may stand by to listen in on the interview. The interview was not stressful but was longer than other interviews for jobs. They seem to like extremely busy people who have a lot to talk about.

Interview Question – They asked about previous leadership experience and difficulties. Most questions were straight-forward.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details The first step of the interview process is a lengthy online application. There is a phone interview, which focused on leadership, and online activity, which felt like it was addressing diversity. The final interview involved a group activity, a five-minute sample lesson and a one-on-one interview. The one-on-one was impersonal and challenging. The interviewer was typing literally every word I said, and it was hard to be passionate and personable. Then entire day went remarkably quickly.

Interview Question – During the one-on-one interview, you will do a role play as a TFA teacher. Immediately following the five-minute scene, the interviewer asked what I could have done better. It caught me immediately off guard, and I thought, "Well, we just ended it. If there was something I thought I could have done better, I probably would have just done it." Humility, humility, humility.

They'll ask why TFA, of course, organizational skills, have you ever quit something, etc. The interviewer asked about things on my résumé that I didn't expect her to care about. That really caught me off guard. She didn't ask about the experiences where I was leading and not about anything recent. That was the hardest part.
  Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details For the lesson, most people did not have time to finish so I recommend that you budget for four minutes. Everyone gives a five-minute lesson, and the other interviewees are the students, as are the interviewers (2 in my case). Then, you interview with one of the interviewers. I skipped the phone interview round but apparently questions are similar. They ask why TFA, have you talk about your leadership experience, ask you when you've overcome challenges, etc.

Interview Question – Have you ever quit anything? Have you ever handed in an assignment late?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher
Clemson, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details The interview process starts by you applying online. After applying online they let you know if you have been invited to a phone interview. Someone that previously taught in the corps will be your interviewer. They ask you about your leadership experience and about things on your resume. Be prepared to speak a lot about what you have on your resume, I wouldn't fudge anything if I were you because they will ask you about it. Next they let you know within a week or two if you have gotten invited to the final interview. In the final interview you have to give a 5 minute lesson and watch the other people in your group do so. In my interview there were 2 interviewers that asked stupid questions (on purpose) to see how you handled them. For the final interview there is also a one-on-one interview where they ask basically the same questions about your resume that the phone interviewer did so be prepared to talk about your resume again. Before the final interview readings are provided to you... DONT FORGET TO READ THEM! They asked me a few questions about them. After your final interview you hear back within a month or so depending on which date you applied for.

Interview Question – What would ever make you quit TFA?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I believe in and am passionate about their cause but am not sure the direction they are taking is right for me.

Interview Details Two step interview process:
1) Phone interview - looking to ascertain your "biggest impact" role. They really want to know if you have the leadership skills necessary to make a great teacher.
2) Full day interview - nothing unexpected. The group presentations are incredibly risk-free -- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I can't overstate that enough. The in-person interview is just a conversation where they really want to get to know your motivations better.

Interview Question – Keeping confidentiality agreement   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Interview Details Applied online before the 3rd deadline. Was invited to a phone interview and an online test. Phone interview was very structured and scripted. Hard to connect on a personal level with the interviewer. Phone interview lasted around 30-45 minutes and consisted of 6-7 questions about resume. Did not get invited to final interview.

Interview Question – Make sure to know TFA's core values.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Corps Member

Interview Details The interview process is long with a lot of repeated questions. Enthusiasm is everything! They're not expecting you to be an amazing teacher. But they do want people who are passionate and have strong leadership skills. As a teacher, your job is to give multiple presentations a day so part of the interview was a mock lesson. Don't worry about doing something too simple or too complicated. Just make sure you are prepared and give a strong presentation.

Interview Questions