Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr 2015

3.5

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I went through 4 interviews over the span of 3 months for an assistant position. The interview process went by very fast once I passed through the HR screening but the regional team seemed to be very unorganized in terms of who will manage the position

Interview Questions

• I was asked a lot of questions about my values which I did not think were relevant to the position at all but I understand that as an org, TFA wants to hire more of the same   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

The process is kind of long but not as stressful as I assumed it would be. First the application, then the phone interview, then the final interview. From what I hear, the final interview isn't a direct competition with other applicants; basically, if they feel like everyone in your group would best suit the program they will hire everyone in the group (I think this is rare but the good thing is, they don't have a set number of applicants they have to accept each period).

Interview Questions

I did not want to move to the area they suggested.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

You apply online then you may be selected to a phone interview. Then you may be selected to the inperson group interview. I didnt get past the phone interview, though I hit t off with my interviewer. It's understandable--I know the interviewers don't have power over who can move on or not just because you had a great conversation. It was a behavioral interview, so be prepared for that. They really look for leaders and people who overcome hard situations who are good problem solvers and multitaskers.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The initial step of the process is a lengthy application, complete with GPAs by school year, personal statements and short answer questions, examples of your leadership, etc.

After this step, they notify the applicants that are moving to the next round that they must have a phone interview. Roughly 50% of applicants will be released after this round, as their website states.

Following this interview, you will either be released or invited to the final round. Before the final interview, you must then complete an online task which includes a timed exam to measure your critical thinking skills, followed by a few short answer questions which are not timed. Bonus points for incorporating any of their values in this step! There isn't much you can do to prepare for this portion, it's just a way to measure how quickly and accurately you are able to analyze situations.

The day of the final interview, you will be in a group of 6-12 other applicants and 2-4 interviewers. You must first give a 5 minute teaching sample. This was kind of a waste of time, but whatever, it's required. Afterward there is a "group task," basically to see how you are able to collaborate and work with others. This was easy, they give you a situation which you resolve alone, then come back together to discuss it as a group. My whole group agreed, so we didn't have much to talk about. Lastly will come the actual interview. At this point, there isn't much about you that they don't already know. ALL of my questions were repeated directly from my phone interview, which was extremely frustrating.

After the final round, they will give you 2 weeks to wait until you hear back, and then will have 2 weeks to accept the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to do Teach For America over AmeriCorps?   Answer Question

I wasn't willing to move to the location in which I had been placed.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA follows the schedule they provided. It takes about two months to complete the entire process depending on when you apply. I had a phone interview that went very well. They asked questions related to unrelated previous experience. I felt weird about it but talked about it with confidence. It took about 30 min. The final interview was not as hard as I had anticipated. I went in prepared and rocked it.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Submitted a general inquiry to TFA for more information. Spoke to a recruiter and former alumni from my university. Submitted a simple application online. Received a favorable email to set up a phone interview. Set up a phone interview. Spoke on the phone with another TFA Corps member. The process was very simple and the questions asked are all on Glassdoor.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Teach for America recruiters are extremely invested. I ended up not pursuing further interviews past preliminary rounds, but had an incredible experience. If you can get in contact with a campus recruiter, they will genuinely fight for you to get the job. It stinks that you don't know what location you will be placed in, but otherwise recruiting was a really pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Being creative and providing a sincere interest in the mission of Teach for America is extremely important to the interviewer.   Answer Question

I ended up changing my graduation date and no longer pursuing Teach for America in the process of this change.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Online application with statement of purpose followed by either a phone interview then an in person interview or straight to an in person interview. In Person involves teaching a 5 minute sample lesson, group exercise and finally a 1 on 1 interview. Tough process really concerned about your ability to survive in a tough environment.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Very rigorous. 2 phone interviews. One 8 hour battery day. 6 weeks institute. More interviews with districts. Then you begin. This process is very cumbersome for the actually pay you will receive. The experiences and education will gain will be very beneficially but its not the ideal way to go if you can get into better jobs out of college.

Interview Questions

• Present a mock lesson in front of 20 - 40 other applicants. Additionally, do not disclose too many biases or preferences. They read into so much about what you think and believe. If you are conservative, you will have a hard time finding similar minded people.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Where do you want to go?

Institute Operations Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, followed by phone interview, interview activity, and another phone interview. Talked with previous employees and then the operations manager for the training institute. Overall a very positive interview process.

If you want to work at a specific institute, make sure you notate that on your application, otherwise they will really send you anywhere (which is kinda great too!).