Teach for America

Getting the Interview

154 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Miami, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

Interview Details The application process was intense, and thorough, but well worth the acceptance and final reward of the offer of position. All initial interview phone calls, phases/rounds of interview process were well planned, and they gave sufficient information to help you prepare for the phone call(s) or assessment tasks.

Interview Question – I was asked to go into very specific details as to challenges that I've faced in my employment, and how was the situation(s) handled from beginning to end; they are very concerned with your ability to work well with others (especially administration, set leadership and your direct supervisors/co-professionals)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no cause/need to negotiate. This is a non-profit organization that connects you to the direct channel of employment. You are given a ball-park figure of initial earning potential. However, I believe that the ability to negotiate will come in terms of working with the school system/principal of the school at which you work.

Teacher Interview

I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview Details I received a call promptly at my designated time and the interview began. The interview solid me a few times to write down some of my answers.I think that preparing yourself with one of the many teacher interview question on the internet will give your an overall idea of the type of questions that the tfa person will ask you.

Interview Question – What are your strengths?
Tell be about a goal/task that you accomplished.
Festive a conflict you get had with a coworker and how was it resolved
  View Answer

Teacher Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details The online application is very thorough. I recommend meting with a recruiter to help answer any questions you amy have. Some applicants are required to do a phone interview; others are advanced to the final interview day. Before the final interview day, there are many forms to complete and files to upload. This takes time! You also need to secure two recommenders and one reference. The final interview day includes a sample lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

Interview Question – (I have not yet participated in the final interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Madison, WI (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Interview Details Rigorous process. Includes online application with essay questions, phone interview, online activity, and comprehensive in-person interview.

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details The interview process was tedious but not too difficult. They pretend like any and everyone is eligible and actually has a shot at getting accepted. They accept around 12% of applicants, so beware. The interviewers are very friendly and make you feel at ease. Just be yourself.

Interview Question – I cannot say   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details phone interview was about resume

Interview Question – have you ever been in a conflict with someone you worked with and what did you do about it   Answer Question

Clemson, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details The interview process starts by you applying online. After applying online they let you know if you have been invited to a phone interview. Someone that previously taught in the corps will be your interviewer. They ask you about your leadership experience and about things on your resume. Be prepared to speak a lot about what you have on your resume, I wouldn't fudge anything if I were you because they will ask you about it. Next they let you know within a week or two if you have gotten invited to the final interview. In the final interview you have to give a 5 minute lesson and watch the other people in your group do so. In my interview there were 2 interviewers that asked stupid questions (on purpose) to see how you handled them. For the final interview there is also a one-on-one interview where they ask basically the same questions about your resume that the phone interviewer did so be prepared to talk about your resume again. Before the final interview readings are provided to you... DONT FORGET TO READ THEM! They asked me a few questions about them. After your final interview you hear back within a month or so depending on which date you applied for.

Interview Question – What would ever make you quit TFA?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I believe in and am passionate about their cause but am not sure the direction they are taking is right for me.

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Interview Details Applied online before the 3rd deadline. Was invited to a phone interview and an online test. Phone interview was very structured and scripted. Hard to connect on a personal level with the interviewer. Phone interview lasted around 30-45 minutes and consisted of 6-7 questions about resume. Did not get invited to final interview.

Interview Question – Make sure to know TFA's core values.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details Practice, practice, practice. The teaching portion of the interview is a big deal. Five minutes is not a long time and if you have a larger group, you want to make sure you are using your time and your students (fellow interviewees) wisely. Also, try to prep as much as you can before hand so that you don't go over your set up time.

Interview Question – The most difficult and unexpected question was how you could improve a routine that already works for you.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details The process was relaxed, friendly. The interviewers were very kind and at no time did I feel uncomfortable or unprepared for what would come next. The interviewers did a good job of letting us know from the second we arrived how the schedule for the day would play out. The personal interview was long but enjoyable.

Interview Question – None were difficult; the group-teaching activity was tough though. Practicing with a group of people beforehand vs. individually is a good tactic for not going over time the day of.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America Teacher interview questions and advice. All 154 interview reviews posted anonymously by Teach for America employees and interview candidates.