The Children's Place

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at The Children's Place in June 2013.

Interview Details I applied to this position posted on their company website in February of 2013 and got a call beginning of June asking if I was still interested in interviewing. I said yes and went in a week following the initial phone call. i interviewed with the store manager first in the stockroom, very casual, seemed like she just wanted to get a feel for my personality, not eally interestd in my qualifications. i received a call the following week fto set up a phone interview with the district manager. When I called at the scheduled time, she was not available to talk and had to call me back. Asked scenario questions and when I was able to start. She called two days later and offered me the position, also was willing to negotiate pay.

Interview Question – questions were very easy to answer if you have any experience in retail or customer service.

"Tell me a time when you had to have a difficult converstaiton with an employee"
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i was asked my desired pay range, which I aimed high for, and I received the bottom of my range.

Very Easy Interview

Detroit, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Children's Place in August 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and received a call from the Store Manager the next morning to come in for an interview that day. The interview was informal, relaxed, and held in the back storage room. I was extremely impressed by the manager and how down to Earth and honest she was. We chatted for approximately an hour and a half and she explained that the next step would be an interview with the DM. Within an hour, the manager called to see if I was available to do a phone interview with the DM the next morning. I found the DM to be extremely upbeat and pleasant. I could not have been more impressed with these ladies. The conversation was light and consisted of basically discussing my strengths/weaknesses and employment history. She discussed the benefits, which included 401k, insurance, and a generous vacation/paid time off package. The conversation lasted 15 minutes. At the end she expressed how excited she was and that the store manager would be calling me with a final offer. The manager called within a couple hours later with an official offer for the salary I requested.

Interview Question – How would you handle an employee that was struggling performance wise?
What is you biggest strength/weakness?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The DM asked what my salary expectations were. I asked high hoping that I would not be talked down much. The manager informed me that I would be paid at the requested rate. Woo-hoo!! I feel my rate was higher than most other companies pay Assistant Managers.

Charleston, SC (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Children's Place.

Interview Details Interviewed with Store Manager and District Manager and HR Manager. All very easy questions concerning work history.

Interview Question – Just know your behavior questions. Lots of "What ifs?" and "What would you dos?". Be prepared.   View Answer

Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Children's Place in January 2013.

Interview Details After submitting my resume online. I received a call from a store manager. A brief phone interview ensued about my interests within the company. After the phone interview, an in person interview was scheduled. There are three interviews total.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, just be knowledgable about the company. Also, have examples of customer service and leadership experiences.   Answer Question

Columbus, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Children's Place in November 2012.

Interview Details You have to take an assessment online before getting an interview. Several of the questions may seem irrelevant to the job however, they will not consider you if you do not pass the test. If you are looking for a promotion you will need to take another, harder, test. Interview took place in the stock room. Phone interview with District Manager.

Interview Question – Probably not anything that came up in the interview, but some of the assessment questions could be difficult for some people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had told them during the interview what I needed to make to afford my bills and they told me that might be difficult based on my experience. The offer was for the amount I requested and I didn't push for more.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Children's Place.

Interview Details Consisted of a phone interview, Store Manager interview and District Manager interview. Actually called all three of my references, so be prepared with those. The interviews were done in a casual, non-store setting over cups of coffee.

Interview Question – What do you think differs about customer service in a children's store over other places you've worked?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I basically stated what I currently made and that I couldn't accept less. Salaries are ranges are based on store volume, so there is a little negotiation room but it's limited by volume.

Rockford, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Children's Place in May 2012.

Interview Details We really didn't assess my attributes, the mgr. described to me what her expectations are, what the daily duties are. She told me she would have a decision made by the end of the weekend, called on monday, it changed to mid week. when I phoned her on Monday, she said, "I told you, if I didn't call you, then we moved on" ummm, yeah but you just said decision made by mid week. I believe promotion from within, waste of time, awesome, you promote from within, but don't call anyone else if that is your intention.

Interview Questions

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Children's Place in December 2010.

Interview Details Got an employee referral. Interview process was a bit much i think for the position applied. They do a credit check so you must make sure you sign the form. they ask you situational questions..what wold you do? or tell me of a time? you get the idea. You first speak with a store manager,then you meet the DM and another store manager then it is a phone interview with either an HR person or another DM.

Interview Question – Nothing crazy really..your basic tell me about yourself? what will you bring to company? what would you do if you are short staffed? they really are based on situational scenarios and what you would do...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The recruiter made it clear the company is not flexible.They hire to only meet the needs of the company, and there isn't a home/work life balance. The pay is ludicrous. You are asked to work crazy hours. Experience doesn't seem to wow them much..it that doesn't i don't know what is..You can make more money being an assitant manager at Target or even Wendy's.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Children's Place

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place Assistant Manager interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees and interview candidates.