The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.2

268 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at The Gap in August 2010.

Applied online, and took about half a year to received a call in for an interview. When you come in for your initial first contact interview you meet with the lead manager and you have a 1 on 1 interview with them. These questions are mostly behavioral questions and also about your past experiences and your goals. Then for the second interview, you will be paired with someone else and asked team orientated interviews. Then at the end of the second interview you will receive an offer.

Interview Questions
You write how much you expect to be paid on a piece of paper, and the manager also writes you an offer on a piece of paper.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orange, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

first I did the online application, about 2 weeks later, i got a call to come in for a group interview. I arrived 30 minutes early and looked around the store while the interviewer was getting ready. It was 4 people in total and we were taken to the back room and sat down at a couch. They asked us if we had any job experience, a time where we had to deal with people, and how we would describe our fashion style and who our fashion role model was. And that was it

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to deal with people or customers   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

To apply for a job as sales associate for Gap, I first did a lengthy online application that asks usual questions, such as past experience, and then asks you scenario questions and gives you options on how you would handle the situation. It took the store about 3-5 days to call me and set up an interview. The first interview took place at a table in the store, with about 13 other applicants. The group was split in half and the hiring manager went around each person in the group and asked questions about why we like the brand, how we would describe our style, and what we looked forward most to if hired. Then, she described a customer for the group and gave the group 10 minutes to run around the store so each applicant could pick an outfit that best fit the needs of the customer. Then, the group would come back to the table and describe their outfit and why they chose what they did. For the second interview, a smaller group of about 6 people met at the same table and got asked questions by another manager. These included where we had last shopped, reviewing what had been asked in the last interview, and then opened it up for questions. The second interview lasted 10 minutes at most. I was offered a position and salary two days after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult task was choosing an outfit, but mostly because you were under pressure to choose something unique yet served the same or similar purpose as your fellow applicant's outfits.   View Answer
    As a sales associate with little experience, I didn't negotiate at all and it was clear that I was not expected to negotiate my starting wage.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Franklin, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Initially I was interview by the scheduling manager. He asked a few questions about my prior experience. As well as a few situational questions. It was very lax and I wore clothes that would be appropriate for working there. He offered me a hourly wage of $10.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do?" type of questions such if you see a fellow employee stealing, what the protocol should be.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Štore (Slovenia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Štore (Slovenia)

I applied in-person - interviewed at The Gap.

The interview was a very pleasant experience! The manager was very personable while asking questions to find out my work experience and what my expectations were for this job. He was also looking for what positive attributes that my former experience could add to this stores team. I feel that is very important to know, as a manager. He was actually building his team to be successful, by adding diversity in all areas of the staff! GREAT MANAGER!!! KNOWS HIS STUFF AND LEADS BY EXAMPLE!!!

FAIR

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call the next day to set up an interview. The call was confusing because she asked me about my availability and even though I told her she was still confused on the hours that I could work. When it was time for the interview, she asked a lot of the basic questions. This was my 1st ever interview and I was kind of surprised when she made me go out on the floor and pretend to help people out. After the interview was done, she said that she would call the next day, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • Either having to go out on the floor or what was the worst type of customer service you've had?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call the very next day. The phone call lasted 5-10 minutes, and just went over a couple basic things from a prior retail job I had. Two days later, I was scheduled for an in person interview. That one lasted about an hour, with the same person who did my phone interview. It was very easy and laid back, but it may have helped that I am familiar with the brand, love fashion, and have several years of retail experience. I had to wait for the required background check to go through. Exactly one week after my in person interview, I got a call offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a pair of jeans that you had never seen or even touched until that moment to a customer who was interested?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Pretty generic interview questions that can be prepared beforehand, i.e. greatest strength and weakness, how you deal with difficult situations, etc. I was contacted for an interview and hired within 2 weeks or so.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in September 2010.

it was quick and concise... And, getting an interview pretty much guarantees hiring. the staff seems welcoming. not that much questions during the interview process. it was informal so for the position it is really not nerve wracking.

quick

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2011.

just apply online and they'll call you if they're interested. interview process is pretty easy. just be yourself and answer honestly and you should be set. i wore a v neck sweater and an oxford button down and skinny jeans. they tell you to sell them what you have on and that was pretty easy. try to stand out but don't over do it because it doesnt seem like they like that too much.

Interview Questions
    there wasn't one. its was a starting position so i took it. 8.25 isn't so bad.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!