The Gap

Average Difficulty
259 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2011.

Interview Details just apply online and they'll call you if they're interested. interview process is pretty easy. just be yourself and answer honestly and you should be set. i wore a v neck sweater and an oxford button down and skinny jeans. they tell you to sell them what you have on and that was pretty easy. try to stand out but don't over do it because it doesnt seem like they like that too much.

Interview Question – nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there wasn't one. its was a starting position so i took it. 8.25 isn't so bad.

Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details I applied online for The Gap , and the next day I got a call for an interview. The interview was a group interview with at least 20 people, there were three mangers and each one of them asked a question, and everyone took turns answering the question, and they did a little thing where you had to try and remember everyones name in the circle.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. When is there a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is a time you made a mistake and how did you fix it? what is one word that describe you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in January 2013.

Interview Details applied online got a phone call and group interview in the same week. About ten people there. Very friendly environment. Not intimidating at all. Depending on the hiring manager, the process is fairly simple.

Interview Question – general questions none were difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details Went in the store for introduction then applied online. I had an one on one interview with the manager and the interview questions were pretty standard. Mostly about previous work experience and how I would handle difficult situations. However, I didn't find the manager to be very professional. Main reason why I declined the offer. Totally agree with some other comments, the management could be a hit or miss.

Reason for Declining – I didn't want to work for that particular manager.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details I had to keep calling and finally when one of the managers that I needed picked up the phone I was scheduled for an interview at that time. I went in and had a typical interview and was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Gap?
Describe your sense of style?
Who influences your style?
What qualities can you bring to the Gap?
Why should we hire you?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call from the store one month later. I went in for an interview that day. The associates who were working seemed nice enough. Overall low-key environment. My interviewer (the hiring manager for the store) was dressed fairly casually, in a Gap maxi dress. In this particular store the interview was very informal and friendly.

Interview Question – There were few questions and all of them were very easy. Availability, previous retail experience, "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Greenville, SC (US)

I interviewed at The Gap in May 2010.

Interview Details Quick interview, be very nice and be clean, stylish. It is a one round interview. expect to know you got the job before you leave the interview. Just be personable. Be yourself. They are not looking to hire rocket scientists.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected, but before you go into the interview, be sure to think of 'a time you were persuasive' have it on your mind.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – you have about 50 cents worth of wiggle room from whatever they offer.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Gap in July 2010.

Interview Details The proceess was easy. 1st group interview, 2nd interview and a questonare on line with questions around service, loss prevention. Base on las experirnce. after the system aprove your submited questionare, store leadership call you to make you ana appointment to an interview

Interview Question – there wherent nay difficult question   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in March 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and was contacted by one of the store managers by phone. We chatted briefly about the brand and my experiences in the retail industry. At the time, I lived an hour away, and was searching for an apartment in the city. They were very open to scheduling my group interview at my convenience. I had my group interview with 3 other girls. We were given a card with a customer description and had to style an outfit based on the customer profile. We then had a fairly laid back group discussion regarding the customer we "helped". Then we discussed our experiences and the manager asked us basic questions about the company. My second interview was with the senior general manager. I was prepared to have a formal interview, but it was really relaxed. She asked me several questions about customer service and selling tactics. She then asked me when I could start and we discussed pay (which was non-negotiable). I was confident I had already gotten the job, because I talked with my first interviewer, whom stated that if you make it to the second interview, you're pretty much guaranteed a job. I got a call within a couple of days with an official job offer.

Interview Question – Very basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation in pay.

Louisville, KY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in August 2012.

Interview Details First, there is an online application. You can apply through a resume and cover letter submission, and answer various questions. It's simple and the interface is easy.

What I did was also go to the store I wanted to be hired in (with proper business attire) and hand a physical copy to the LOD (Leader On Duty or Manager). The next day, I got a call for an interview, and I met with them a few days later. It was literally a one-on-one interview with the General Manager of the store, and she was awesome. This was at my Louisville store in 2012. It was very laid back and simple.

I received an offer the next day and was hired. The training process was also very simple.

Negotiation Details – I was told my amount per hour and I was also told there was no negotiating it. I was okay with the amount, albeit a bit low.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!