The Home Depot Part Time Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2014

2.2

67 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Avon, OH (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2014.

Initial communication: I applied online and within about two days I was contacted by email and phone. I interviewed on the phone for about 15 minutes answering a few questions regarding previous employment. I recieved an invitation to meet and interview in person within that week. I originally was interviewing for a Freight team, seasonal position. Interviewed in person with the department head over lawn & garden whom wanted me for a Waterer, seasonal position. Hired on the spot, I accepted.

I did a drug test and background check and within a week was scheduled for an orientation.

When I went into do my paperwork I was informed that it was to be a Waterer until the season was over and I would be kept on as a Floor associate in the Lawn & Garden area. I worked on the floor and as a waterer for about two months and then was moved to cashier.

Interview Questions
  • There wasn't much to the questioning, Just asked about prior experience and why i felt I was a good fit for The Home Depot   Answer Question
There was no true negotiation phase. i was at a point i was willing to accept anything

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2013.

Very professional. Panel of three management employees for initial interview. Second interview was a panel of two management employees. Each interview went for approximately 30 minutes. After the hiring there were a few employment classes for about 4 new employees. Very informative.

No negotiation on pay.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Taylor, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taylor, MI (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2013.

Two interviews, one with cashier manager and store manager. It was typical, casual, professional. After the interview, I was called back in to get my apron and learn how to clock in. Given a tour and introduction meeting with a video about the company and its culture.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation, just the way things are.

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Received a phone call from the Hiring Center and answered a few questions. I was then set up for an interview at my store and hired on the spot. It was really simple and there was not anything hard about it. Home Depot is desperate for people that want to work.

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

originally, I applied for merchandizing position online. They called me a few days after and after a phone interview, they invited me for an actual interview at the store. I met the merchandizing team leader, cool guy, we talked for some time, he showed me what exactly merchandizing means since i didn't have experience with this type of job. Than he found out about my experience as store associate and dealing with customers. The questions were pretty common, nothing specific and nothing tricky. Remember, the main focus is customers and safety! The interview was close to an hour.

Later the same day he called me and asked me to go and apply online for cashier position and than call a different person and schedule an interview. I did that and the next day I was there for another interview with a different manager. This one was more customer service oriented and again nothing stressful or tricky, talked about my previous experience and than got scheduled for a second interview the next day. The next day I met, i think, the store manager, he was a little too serious but still nice. This is where I got offered a position and talked about salary. I was asked to go take drug test and than we were gonna talk about start day.

The questions were really pretty common for retail jobs. The focus is, as I said - customers and safety! Remember customers always come first, whatever you are doing and they come and ask for help and interrupt, you just smile and help with whatever you can. Do not ever make customer feel bad and worry about your personal problems or whatever could be stressing you at that moment. They should be getting as positive experience at the store as possible. And the other focus - safety! Learn and know the safety rules and follow them without exception!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you get frustrated with a customer?   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Applied online and got an automated call about 2 weeks later. The automated call asked different questions: are you willing to provide a service within the standards of The Home Depot, are you willing to work part time?.... Then I was transferred to someone from HR. Was asked usual questions: Tell me about a time when you solved a problem at work...were you the one in charge or part of the team, what was the outcome?. Then was given a date for the face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • In the online application I stated I could speak another language. Was asked to translate a sentence.   Answer Question

Was offered a full time position somewhere else.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

First, I applied online. I received a call over A MONTH after, to my surprise, and was interviewed over the phone, first by an machine and next by a representative, who asked me to 'Discuss a time in which I had to solve a problem or take a lead role in a position. How did you handle it?' and two other similar questions. The representative was impressed enough and set up an in-store interview for me promptly.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask many questions about situations in your previous position. If this is your first job, just discuss times involving school and extra-curriculars that you had to handle something not everyone does.   View Answer

Part-Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Claymont, DE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claymont, DE (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2014.

I applied online. I submitted a battery of online psychological and other tests. It maybe took a week before I received a call from a centralized HR staffing center. I went in for the interview. Except for the fact that the interviewer read from a list of interview questions, I was impressed with him.

There is no negotiating at Home Depot. It's their way or the highway.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Centerville, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centerville, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Applied online did the test, 4 days later got an email about making a phone interview. the phone interview was short 3 questions that's all. Why do you think you are suitable for this position?
    Difficult task and what was the outcome ?
    How do you go above and beyond to deliver an excellent customer service

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kapolei, HI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kapolei, HI (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

I got hired by asking an employ how they got hired. They said fill out app on line and call and talk to the HR manager and that is what I did. We talked a little on the phone and she set me up for an interview with her. After the interview she called about a week later and had me come in a second time to offer me a position as a cashier, not what I applied for. I took it.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was if I would except the offer she gave me. It was less than half what I used to make.   View Answer
    It was a take it or leave it. No negotiation but said I could have time to think about it.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!