The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
63 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details originally, I applied for merchandizing position online. They called me a few days after and after a phone interview, they invited me for an actual interview at the store. I met the merchandizing team leader, cool guy, we talked for some time, he showed me what exactly merchandizing means since i didn't have experience with this type of job. Than he found out about my experience as store associate and dealing with customers. The questions were pretty common, nothing specific and nothing tricky. Remember, the main focus is customers and safety! The interview was close to an hour.

Later the same day he called me and asked me to go and apply online for cashier position and than call a different person and schedule an interview. I did that and the next day I was there for another interview with a different manager. This one was more customer service oriented and again nothing stressful or tricky, talked about my previous experience and than got scheduled for a second interview the next day. The next day I met, i think, the store manager, he was a little too serious but still nice. This is where I got offered a position and talked about salary. I was asked to go take drug test and than we were gonna talk about start day.

The questions were really pretty common for retail jobs. The focus is, as I said - customers and safety! Remember customers always come first, whatever you are doing and they come and ask for help and interrupt, you just smile and help with whatever you can. Do not ever make customer feel bad and worry about your personal problems or whatever could be stressing you at that moment. They should be getting as positive experience at the store as possible. And the other focus - safety! Learn and know the safety rules and follow them without exception!

Interview Question – What would you do if you get frustrated with a customer?   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details Applied online and got an automated call about 2 weeks later. The automated call asked different questions: are you willing to provide a service within the standards of The Home Depot, are you willing to work part time?.... Then I was transferred to someone from HR. Was asked usual questions: Tell me about a time when you solved a problem at work...were you the one in charge or part of the team, what was the outcome?. Then was given a date for the face to face interview.

Interview Question – In the online application I stated I could speak another language. Was asked to translate a sentence.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Was offered a full time position somewhere else.

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details First, I applied online. I received a call over A MONTH after, to my surprise, and was interviewed over the phone, first by an machine and next by a representative, who asked me to 'Discuss a time in which I had to solve a problem or take a lead role in a position. How did you handle it?' and two other similar questions. The representative was impressed enough and set up an in-store interview for me promptly.

Interview Question – They will ask many questions about situations in your previous position. If this is your first job, just discuss times involving school and extra-curriculars that you had to handle something not everyone does.   View Answer

Part-Time Cashier Interview

Part-Time Cashier
Claymont, DE (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied online. I submitted a battery of online psychological and other tests. It maybe took a week before I received a call from a centralized HR staffing center. I went in for the interview. Except for the fact that the interviewer read from a list of interview questions, I was impressed with him.

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating at Home Depot. It's their way or the highway.

Centerville, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online did the test, 4 days later got an email about making a phone interview. the phone interview was short 3 questions that's all. Why do you think you are suitable for this position?
Difficult task and what was the outcome ?
How do you go above and beyond to deliver an excellent customer service

Interview Question – it was pretty easy   Answer Question

Kapolei, HI (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details I got hired by asking an employ how they got hired. They said fill out app on line and call and talk to the HR manager and that is what I did. We talked a little on the phone and she set me up for an interview with her. After the interview she called about a week later and had me come in a second time to offer me a position as a cashier, not what I applied for. I took it.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was if I would except the offer she gave me. It was less than half what I used to make.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a take it or leave it. No negotiation but said I could have time to think about it.

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details had phone interview. called me back for an in person interview.. asked "what would you do if..." questions. Fairly easy interview. Interviewer was very nice, laid back. I dressed business casual

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Laguna Hills, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, got an initial automated phone call, which then transferred me to a person to ask questions. I then received the interview location and time from that person.

Went in for interview, offered me a job, I accepted, took my drug test at an outside agency. Was told they has to wait for a background check (which took about 2 weeks to get)

Interview Question – Pretty simple run of the mill questions. Explain a time when you...... type of questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate.

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2012.

Interview Details Online application and then telephone interview to get a sit down interview in the store. Basic questions about experience and where I might want to go. Interview was somewhat lengthy and seemed like it was maybe the same questions for anybody and everybody. Effort is needed to make your answers apply and stick.

Interview Question – Some lengthy questions require much more than a yes or no and/or a recital of application and resume information.   View Answer

Meadville, PA (US)

I interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied, they called and did a quick "screening" by asking a few easy questions such as "Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer. I then scheduled an interview and attended. It was fairly easy and was expecting almost all of the questions asked.

Interview Question – Explain how you would feel about being the last person of contact with a customer?   Answer Question

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!