The World Bank Interview Questions

3.1

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Delhi
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank.

Often the jobs land to preselected incumbents, or to those having connections. Those that are selected on merit alone can rise in hierarchy depending on how well they network with those that matter. Communication skills matter a lot. If one can convey his/ her viewpoint during interviews, unhesitatingly, better prospects are for being considered.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult are the questions that seek to test your skills to handle crisis, situations demanding dealing with integrity, teamwork achievements and dealing with ethical issues involving seniors at the place of work. Also challenges such as developing junior staff are issues that require narrating live examples.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. One must!

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in August 2014.

The interview was with a panel of 3. Two economists, one research analyst. They asked mainly about my CV and then some behavioral questions. The people were really friendly. They don't pressure you nor give you hard time. Prepare to answer common questions like "Tell me about you", "tell one difficulty you met and how you solved it". Also, prepare to brief any paper you have on your CV. Mine interview wasn't technical probably because I worked as an research assistant before. Definitely prepare more examples from your similar working experience cause they are going to be really interested in it.

Interview Questions
    • If 5 people knock on your door and ask you to do things for them, all urgent, what would you do? If you received multiple tasks and you knew you couldn't finish all of them on time, what would you do?   Answer Question

Lead Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank in February 2010.

Very formal and rigid application process, and hard to gain information other than from the web posted job description. The interview process is formal with a round the table approach of one question for each interviewer. It is question and answer only, with very little interaction of discussion. it seems the same exact questions are posed to each interviewee, and so spontaneous follow up questions and answers are not encouraged. The body language is very neutral and sometimes bored. Definitely not a private sector approach

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was : describe a situation when you were in conflict and how you resolved, and give specific real life examples   Answer Question
    Very little room for negotiation, and basically accept or decline the offer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The World Bank in July 2010.

Interview is conducted with a recrutiment officer. If selected for further assessment you will be asked to take an exam to test your language, technology, and other skills. You are put through timed exams that test everything including any second language you may claim to speak.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions on processes for Access DB and SQL for management of a database. I had to give them a menu path without being able to demonstrate it on a computer. This was during a panel interview which was even harder.   Answer Question

Had a better offer from another organization

Research Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The World Bank in November 2013.

For a research analyst position, usually the interview panel includes about four to five people. Usually the manager, who the research analyst won't be in the second round of interviews (after screening). Questions cover the ‘responsibilities“ part of the terms of reference, and should be very professional. Usually the person whose profile fits the best will get most "yay"s. However, courtesy is very very important. Please remember to send a thank you letter.

Interview Questions
    • technical question relevant to the requirement of the job; team work (how did you resolve conflicts with your team members)   View Answer
    I was an interviewer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

interviewed at The World Bank in March 2011.

The interview include phone then personal interview, it involved a panel and was mostly technical. Focus was on showing technical knowledge as well as familiarity with the type of work that is expected to be done. Typically 3-6 candidate are short-listed for face to face interview. Familiarity with the institution is not necessarily required.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question concerned giving a response in a context that I was not familiar with. I was given a question in my area of domain and asked to apply it on Bangladesh, a country I knew nothing about. The purpose of such questions is to see whether the candidate is able to use their knowledge in different contexts and to modify the approach and thinking based on the country specific context. Such questions almost always come up at interviews and the best answer is to make some assumptions about the context in case you are not familiar with it.   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

I was introduced to the office manager informally by a friend, and set up an informational interview with her, without knowing any specific openings. After talking to me about half an hour about my general backgrounds and skills, she seemed to like me, and then said, one of our teams was looking for someone to fill an administrative position. It is probably not what you are looking for, since you have a master's degree. But are you willing to try? I said, yes!! I am willing to take any job, to get my foot in the door.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you want to do in the future"..   View Answer

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

I got the job information from my Professor, applied and then was asked for codes and writing sample, received phone interview after 10 days, the questions were asked in the phone interview including: Explain what is cluster analysis? What's your experience with STATA and LaTex? What is you biggest weakness for this position?

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2013.

Four months after applying I received an email mentioning I was shortlisted. In that same communication they asked me for my availability for the next month. Two weeks later they scheduled the interview at their HQ.
    The interview consisted of a practical test, very specific to the position I was applying to. It lasted the whole morning. at a later point I met with a panel, who was fairly amicable and asked relevant questions.

My issue with the process is that it is VERY slow and HR does a very poor job of communicating with the candidates. In the end the process was canceled due to lack of funds.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions to the job the WB does in the area. Study beforehand.   Answer Question

Long Hiring Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Questions
    • No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question
    No negociation phase.

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!