The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated 16 Sep 2014
Updated 16 Sep 2014

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

My interview process was around 5 months long, and I engaged in about 5 interviews during this period. All of them went well until the last one, when the person I was speaking with on the telephone seemed to be walking somewhere during the entire interview. She seemed out of breath during most of the call and was totally not engaged in our discussion. A few times, she actually asked me to hold on so she could speak with someone else that was in her presence. In general, it was an interesting experience, and all those I dealt with were very nice and respectful, except for the last person, who clearly had better things to do than interview me. Given the amount of time I spent on the entire process, and that I had progressively advanced to the next step with each interview, to be treated the way I was in the final interview was completely unprofessional and disrespectful at best. Like I said though, all my prior interviewers were wonderful, so keep that in mind when you read about my experience. If you can manage to avoid that one person (and any others like her), it seemed like a good company and an alright opportunity if Vegas is where you want to be.

Interview Questions
    • One of my interviewers (the bad one) asked about my family and implied that Vegas probably isn't a good option for me. It was a bit shocking.   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2014.

Multiple phone interviews with recruiter and department managers as well as an "exercise" supposedly designed to determine your quality of work as a product manager. If you pass the "exercise," the next step is an all day in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • The "exercise" was about entering a market, not about analyzing products and system processes. They expected market research rather than system analysis. This is atypical of what's expected of a tech product manager.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Applied online, got an email scheduling a Skype interview with me the following week. The Skype interview was with HR, and it went really well. It was basic stuff asking me about my education, knowledge of the particular position's skills, etc. I was then told that they wanted me to speak to two members of the Marketing department. I spoke with them later that week. It was very relaxed and comfortable for me. We discussed the position, Las Vegas, team building, etc. The seemed very impressed with my knowledge of Zappos culture, so study up!

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied for the CLT position right before Zappos changed their hiring practices. A friend of a friend sent me a text to tell me the link was up, and I applied online as quickly as possible. The link was gone 30 minutes after I heard about it! Within a few days I got an e-mail informing me that the first step in the process was for me to take two different online assessments. One was a typing test. I think you only had to be able to type 20 wpm. The second test was a grammar assessment. Both were simple and straight forward. The day after I'd taken the tests I got another e-mail letting me know I'd passed. The next step was a face to face interview! I interviewed with two different ladies. One did the "Culture" interview and the other did the "Technical" interview. My culture interview was a normal kind of job interview with a few "Zappos" type of questions. That lasted about 45 minutes. I wold definitely say remember to do your homework on the company before you go! Then it was on to the technical interview. That took place in a small room with a computer. She would give me scenarios and then watch as I used the Zappos website (or google) to find what the customer was looking for. It seemed like they were just checking to make sure you had a general understanding of how to work the internet! :) She also asked me some "What would you do" type of questions related to helping an escalated customer call. (Like a family going on vacation who didn't get their new shoes in time). I have a few friends. Then my interview was over and I was told they would be deciding within the week. I left the interview and went to a movie. When I got out I had an e-mail telling me I'd made it to the next step. The position was mine as long as I passed their employment verification and background checks. That process took about one week. After that I got a call officially offering me the position!

Interview Questions
    • Knowing what you know about Zappos Core Values, if you had to help me plan a fun themed event, what kind of event would it be?

In your previous jobs name a situation where you had an idea that was not well received by your fellow employees.
        Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Extensive. Application, video cover letter, Merchandising challenge, online interview, flew out to company to interview with specific teams (it varied, but I had 5) and a culture interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • If you stuck on an island and you had to pick two items to have with you...   View Answer
    Do it! It's a great experience and you will not regret it.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Emphasis is on cultural fit so please be yourself as they value individuality. Overall interview process took 4 months with an online interview, video interview, several phone interviews and an onsite interview. Interviewers were polite, spunky and asked a lot of questions that revolve around technical experience as well as your work style. Best advice is to be prepared and be yourself.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied to the job. A few days later, I was contacted and asked to fill out some more questions (think resume) and then some fun "personality" questions, like what would your life theme song be and who is your favorite super hero. After I passed that, I had to do an Excel challenge that was quite easy. Passed that. Had my technical interview - it didn't go that well. The interviewer wasn't good - she barely had anything to say and really didn't seem to be paying attention or care at all about what I had to say. Was denied two days later. The sad thing is, I had all the qualifications and it's an entry-level position, but I was told people were more qualified - well of course there are better qualified applicants. There always are. Sad I never even got the chance for the culture interview because skills can be learned - personality can't be changed.

Customer Loyalty Team Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2014.

I applied through a link posted to Facebook by a current employee. Initial application was somewhat lengthy and done online. It contained some off the wall questions - what would your theme song be, which superhero would you be. It gave you an idea of the feel of the company. Next was an automated online skills test and interview. After that I was called into the office for a face to face interview. Easily the most laid back, least anxiety producing interview ever. The 45 minute interview flew by and it felt just like having a chat with a friend. This is the 'culture' interview to make sure you are a good fit with the company. After that there was a quick 'technical' interview where I was asked to navigate the Zappos website and find information as well as finding info off the website. I got a call no more than a half hour after leaving the interview with the job offer.

No negotiation

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2014.

After I created my account through the Zappos Insiders site, I was eventually contacted by my recruiter and from there it was actually pretty fluid and quick. Anytime I sent and email to my recruiter she generally responded really fast, which was a pleasant surprise compared to other jobs. From there, I was given the links to my skills test as well as me creating a video interview.

The video interview itself wasn't intimidating, there is a time limit and no chance on 'do-overs' but the point is more about creativity and being yourself versus a rehearsal. There was also the typing test which eventually led to me being sent the last few parts of the process which also included writing a letter to Tony on why you believed you should be hired. Personally, I adored their application questions and getting the chance to write out answers like 'My favorite Superhero and why?'-- overall I enjoyed each step.

Once I'd submitted everything and moved through each point, I had my in-person interview which included another skills test with the computer. I had never been to Zappos' HQ before and I was honestly very astonished with how friendly everyone was. I've worked at alot of huge employee filled placed, but non that had that warmth behind the greetings. Heck, even the other guy that was there for an interview at the same time as me was very friendly (Me and him both actually were taken on and we're in the same training class now, giving me a friend/coworker right off the bat.)

The interview was amazing, my recruiter was a joy to meet in person and not only did I address your average Interview questions, but we talked and joked around. It was more like having a talk with a new friend getting to know them than it was an actual interview. We were having such a good time we didn't realize how much we'd been running over before I was suppose to switch to the other employee who was doing the skills portion.

Next up, you interview with another person where you sit at the computer and take on mock call situations while navigating Zappos. It was the first I'd ever actually been put in that situation, but it was actually really cool to see them interested in gauging a person's ability and desire to empathize, navigate, and also accommodate the customer. After everything was said and done, I felt really good about it all and in all honest I had never had so much fun on an interview.

It only took a couple days before I heard back, the last parts being the need to run my background check. That all went smoothly and I was given my offer.

All and all, it was an awesome experience and I only wish more places tackled their recruiting process like Zappos.

Interview Questions
    • If I was going to hold a parade, what would the theme be and why?   Answer Question

Display Traffice Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2014.

Had an excel test, video interview, cultural interview, technical interview, and on-site interview. The interviews were very different than any of my other job interviews. The on-site interviews lasted from 9am-3pm. I had interviewed with a total of 10 people that day. Everyone was very welcoming and didn't make it seem like I was being interviewed all day.

Interview Questions
    • What was a question that you were hoping someone would ask you?   Answer Question

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!