Toys ''R'' Us

Updated 18 Nov 2014
Updated 18 Nov 2014

2.3

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied online and got a call about a week later to go in for an interview for the part-time seasonal position. I was pretty excited considering it was my first job. I went in for a group interview with 9 other people. We had to choose a cartoon character that represented us best and then choose a toy in the store pass it to the person next to us and try to sell it to the managers. Then we waited around for our individual interviews which was really quick. They pretty much only asked when we were available to work. Then they said they would call if we got the job and then they would send in our background check and that would take about a week to go through.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations.. Starting part-time $8.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

After filling out application online, a few weeks later i received a call for an interview. Once i arrived i found out it would be a group interview. It turned out to be a interactive activity where we had to put together blocks and make a Christmas image. FYI this was during the holiday season so it was a seasonal offer. Once finished with the activity, we did a sales advertisement. The hiring manager loved us all so much all 4 of us were hired.

Off Hours Stock Crew Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

The interview is a group interview. The store manager comes in and tells you about store policies and what you would be doing if you got hired. You play a game with building blocks to learn to work together as a team. The manager then gives a tour of the store and tells you to pick out one toy to sell to them in a 30 second commercial. After the commercials everyone has a one on one interview. You really have to have a fun and bubbly personality. The whole interview took about 2 hours.

No negotiation

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

As the interview sessions started there were about 21 of us. They started off explaining what the goals of the company are and how they're more hands on etc. then we introduced ourselves. We had to say a) Our name b) Our favorite toy c) Our favorite childhood movie. After we all finished that, we had to do a team exercise where we used lego-like toys and we had to name + pitch it. After all groups finished (my group's was a bit flimsy but had personality) we moved onto the next activity. They gave us all a random toy, and we had to put ourselves in a hypothetical scenario of selling it to a customer.

Eventually we all finished, the group interview ended and they pulled a group of (about) 15 people aside and some of us waited. (including me and 5 other people)
    The 6 of us were later called outside and offered 1 on 1 interviews.. Right. There.

Amazingly, after mine ended I was offered a job on the spot. I initially went in for a cashier position but the manager offered me a choice between a) Cashier b) Electronics c) Sales floor. Since I'm very personable and fond of being around people, I chose the sales floor position. After choosing that position, I was also offered a part-time job after the season ends.

It was quite easy.

Just be sure to say you're as flexible as possible regarding hours, also in the group interview phase:

1) If the product is something "serious" like diapers or rash cream, try not to joke around as that was a defining factor in the reason why some weren't hired.
    2) In your toy sales-pitch, be sure to offer warranty and batteries for electronic toys and bring up the rewards card!
    3) Always wish good luck to everyone else and show positivity.
    4) Be talkative with your group, smile a lot.
    5) Volunteer to go first as much as possible to show initiative.

Seasonal Order Fulfillment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

I applied online and received a call the same night, returned their call the next day and had an interview scheduled for the following morning. They didn't tell me anything to expect so I'm very glad I came across this website, though most if my worry was unwarranted as the interview was far more laid back than expected.

I came 15 minutes early, as you should do, went tithe customer service desk and they made us sign up for a rewards card... Not sure why, probably so their stats are boosted super high. Shortly after standing in awkward silence the manager came and got us and took us back to the office. He told us that the manager that called us was in a meeting and would probably come in later and began the interview. First he went over the positions we applied for and explained what they entailed, then told us all to think of a cartoon character that best describes us(similar to many other people's interview experience). I picked Johnny Bravo because he's funny and silly but also serious. always solving something, likes kids, and made a little joke about being handsome. This answer didnt matter in my interview, it seemed to just be an ice breaker
    Then as mentioned he gave us a few minutes to find a toy and sell it to the group. I looked up the hot toys this holiday season so I had a toy in mind, the minecraft zombie figure. I stressed that mine craft is a super popular cross platform game, liked by a very broad age rang. Also, the toy didn't require batteries, came with a few blocks and weapons, it was only $10, and had multiple sets to expand with which made picking multiple gifts easy for those who are usually hard to choose for. This part really worried me when I read this is what I'd be doing, but it wasn't hard at all, granted I think we got lucky because the other manager still hadn't come in and the guy doing our interviews was very down to Earth.
    Finally we went to put our toys back and waited outside as they took us one by one. Each person took about 25 mins except me, mine was about 15, maybe since I was last. They offered me a job and sad they'd be in touch after they ran a background check, and I received a call today that I was cleared for hire and my orientation is tomorrow

Interview Questions
    • What roll did I usually play in group projects?
      No very difficult questions, and none of those weird trick question you typically get.
        View Answer
    Didn't try to negotiate, I am happy to have a job!

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

Group interview, we had to describe a product amongst ourselves with the pretense of trying to sell the product to a customer. Everyone will get the chance and interviewer will make you look a little closer if you were not that detailed

Interview Questions
    • this group interview is not that helpful, persons are being compared to each other on spot. personal questions are a little bit intimidating. Such as words to describe self and other lives experiences. please bear in mind you don't know the participants. It's an awkward position ..very!   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

I applied online. Two weeks later got a call for an interview for the following week. Went to the interview waited for a while for the interviewer and for another person who was coming for an interview and never showed up. I was out in five minutes with a job offer.

Got offered another job

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

The hiring process was very easy. I applied online, and was called back within a week. The manager told me to go in for an interview at a certain time. I arrived about 15 minutes early and walked around the store familiarizing myself with it.

The manager then called everyone to the front of the store through the intercom. We (about six of us) were then led to the conference room where we were introduced to the store and the two managers.

They told us to stand up and introduce ourselves, name our favorite cartoon character and why, and why you want to work at toys r us. After everyone did that the interviewer gave us different age groups. I got tween girl, and others got boy under 5 years, infant, etc. They gave us all 10 minutes to go out throughout the store and find a toy to fit the age group which we were given. When everyone was back we were given an additional couple of minutes to come up with a sales pitch. They want to see personality, and if you know the product. It is very important you list the features of a product, and how it will benefit the customer. When you are finished selling the toy to the manager you sat back down.

After everyone had their turn they let some people go right away. Two of the six that were there got sent home on the spot. They said they didn't feel they were right for the position. Then the remaining people were taken on a tour of the store, shown where everything is and given information as to why things are where they are, and really good information about the store itself. Then it was time for the 1 on 1 interviews.

The 1 on 1 interview was very fast and short. They asked to tell a little bit more about yourself. I had mentioned I was a big gamer so the guy asked if id be interested in working in the electronics department (which was where I wanted to work). Then he asked a couple questions like a time where I was most proud of myself and my achievements, what is the most important part of working in retail, and then he asked about my availability, and asked a couple of scenario questions like what would you do in an emergency, etc. Then he said that he'd like to welcome me to the team if the background check clears and went over uniform, discount, etc.

Make sure to have eye contact, and dress nice. Slacks, a nice button down, tie, and dress shoes. He said I was very presentable, and its always a plus to dress nice in any interview.

Overall it was a very fun and easy process.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was my greatest achievement. it could be easy for you, but to me personally it was a challenge. Dont spend too much time thinking about your answer, but dont just talk nonsense.   Answer Question
    pay is minimum wage, with no negotiating. although he said they do work overtime frequently which is time and a half.

Seasonal Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

After applying online, I was contacted within a few days for an In Person Interview. The HR person asked me a couple of questions on the phone such as "Are you able to work and help people in a dynamic environment?" Before the interview, look at their corporate site to get a feel of their values and culture. Interviews are checking for fit!
    The Manager introduced himself and gave us his background story. Then we were all required to share our own background story (talk about things that will sell your skills, etc). We were then asked to choose a toy in the store and sell it/improv with the Manager, who was acting as a customer. BE SURE to talk about accessories, batteries, the age group audience it is intended for, cautionary precaution warnings regarding the toy...and the Reward's Card. The Reward's Card is key! Afterwards, we had one on one with standard questions of "Why do you want to work here? What do you hope to gain from here?" etc. I wasn't too prepared about my first interview ever (minus reading up previous interviews on GlassDoor), but my babbling nervousness about caring for the customers must have gotten me the offer! I received the call a day after the in person interview. Be sure to give off a friendly and competent team player vibe! Be calm and confident (They will want confidence because we will be dealing with customers who will eat us if they see us falter...)!

Interview Questions
    • Improv with the Manager regarding the Toy: "So my son wanted a pink scooter, but all they have is this green one..."   View Answer
    No, I was not able to negotiate because they had already told us we would be paid minimum wage before the interview had begun.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL (US)

I had just finished my interview and it was a terrible experience.

I was expecting to see over 5 people for this interview after reading reviews here on Glassdoor, but there was 4 of us with me included. The interview was at 11am and it started about 5-10 minutes later. The HR Manager came in and introduced himself to us. He then told us to tell him what's our name, what retail experience did we have, and what our favorite toy was growing up. I told them my name along with that I had no work experience (It WOULD have been my first job) and my favorite toy was the Gameboy as a child.

After that, they told us to pick a toy and try to sell it to them. I picked one out and I tried giving a sales pitch the best i can. The process was pretty quick. After that, we were then told to wait. One guy who had retail experience was chosen while me and the two other candidates were sent home. One guy didn't have retail experience but had customer service experience. The other person was a woman who had no experience at all. Toys "R" Us also sent me a email stating that they rejected me but they'll "keep me in the database".

Interview Questions
    • Because I didn't get a 1-on-1 interview, there was none.   Answer Question