Toys ''R'' Us

Updated 11 Dec 2014
Updated 11 Dec 2014

2.3

Retail Assistant Interview

Watched a short video after that told to fill out false info to say the employer explained everything then told during employment you will be asked to empty your pockets from a supervisor for random searches

Interview Questions
    Turn down employment here it's a dangerous place to work

Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

The interview was interesting, they want you to build something out of Legos and pretend you're selling it to them, then they want you to go to the sales floor and pick any toy and pretend you're selling that to them, they just ask you features about the toy, then they take you to the back room and ask a few simple questions.. That's about it.

Interview Questions
    • They ask, what would I do if there is a spill on the floor and a customer need help at the check out line   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Team Member Interview

Applied in store took two weeks for a call. Turned up to assessment 4 minutes late due to there always been traffic in that area ENFIELD branch although I left early. And simply turned away all they said was and I quote "YOU CANT GO IN". In my opinion that's an utter joke no interview could've started with 4 minutes.

If a companies that pathetic who would really want to work for them. Yes I'm aware I should've been on time but I can't determine traffic flow and accidents etc.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I went in to pick up an application and they were having open interviews. I went in and the only question they asked me was when I was available. They then told me I was hired and to go apply online and they would get back to me. However, they have not called me back and it has been 3 weeks.

Back of House Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Easy interview for part time position around the Christmas season. Had a quick tour of the store to learn where and what there was for products. A few days later I was in for orientation and training.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied for the job online and about 4 days later I got a call for a group interview. The group was huge. There was about 15 of us. The manager and assistan manager both interviewed us. The manager was the observer and the assistant was the one talking to us.

The first thing they made us do, after everyone arrived, was to find a toy from the store. When everyone came back all of us took turns selling it to the assisstand manager. She was really niced and helped us through it. When you are selling a toy, you need to bring up the specs and how it will benefit the child. To stand out more, know what their buyer protection program is, their rewards card, and their credit card. Also always suggest to the customer to buy the toys r us brand batteries.

The second part of the interview was one-to-one with the managers. When I went in they just asked my availability and told me that if my background check came through they would call back with a formal proposal.

I got a call back three days later and they hired me.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. All they asked us to do was sell something. So practice your selling skills.   Answer Question
    No negotiation and wage was set at $7.75/hour

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied online and got a call about a week later to go in for an interview for the part-time seasonal position. I was pretty excited considering it was my first job. I went in for a group interview with 9 other people. We had to choose a cartoon character that represented us best and then choose a toy in the store pass it to the person next to us and try to sell it to the managers. Then we waited around for our individual interviews which was really quick. They pretty much only asked when we were available to work. Then they said they would call if we got the job and then they would send in our background check and that would take about a week to go through.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations.. Starting part-time $8.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

After filling out application online, a few weeks later i received a call for an interview. Once i arrived i found out it would be a group interview. It turned out to be a interactive activity where we had to put together blocks and make a Christmas image. FYI this was during the holiday season so it was a seasonal offer. Once finished with the activity, we did a sales advertisement. The hiring manager loved us all so much all 4 of us were hired.

Off Hours Stock Crew Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

The interview is a group interview. The store manager comes in and tells you about store policies and what you would be doing if you got hired. You play a game with building blocks to learn to work together as a team. The manager then gives a tour of the store and tells you to pick out one toy to sell to them in a 30 second commercial. After the commercials everyone has a one on one interview. You really have to have a fun and bubbly personality. The whole interview took about 2 hours.

No negotiation

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

As the interview sessions started there were about 21 of us. They started off explaining what the goals of the company are and how they're more hands on etc. then we introduced ourselves. We had to say a) Our name b) Our favorite toy c) Our favorite childhood movie. After we all finished that, we had to do a team exercise where we used lego-like toys and we had to name + pitch it. After all groups finished (my group's was a bit flimsy but had personality) we moved onto the next activity. They gave us all a random toy, and we had to put ourselves in a hypothetical scenario of selling it to a customer.

Eventually we all finished, the group interview ended and they pulled a group of (about) 15 people aside and some of us waited. (including me and 5 other people)
    The 6 of us were later called outside and offered 1 on 1 interviews.. Right. There.

Amazingly, after mine ended I was offered a job on the spot. I initially went in for a cashier position but the manager offered me a choice between a) Cashier b) Electronics c) Sales floor. Since I'm very personable and fond of being around people, I chose the sales floor position. After choosing that position, I was also offered a part-time job after the season ends.

It was quite easy.

Just be sure to say you're as flexible as possible regarding hours, also in the group interview phase:

1) If the product is something "serious" like diapers or rash cream, try not to joke around as that was a defining factor in the reason why some weren't hired.
    2) In your toy sales-pitch, be sure to offer warranty and batteries for electronic toys and bring up the rewards card!
    3) Always wish good luck to everyone else and show positivity.
    4) Be talkative with your group, smile a lot.
    5) Volunteer to go first as much as possible to show initiative.