Travelers Companies Interview Questions

Updated 19 May 2015

Holiday India Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Travelers Companies (New Delhi) in November 2014.

Interview

Holiday India started its operation as a complete Conference and Event Management company. Today, it is one of the fastest growing and up-coming tour companies for inbound travelers to India.

Interview Questions

• India Tour and get a discount on it   1 Answer

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Lengthy, but worthwhile. Every employee I encountered during the hiring process was very knowledgeable, candid, and bright. The steps I had to take in total were (1) online application, (2) phone screening, (3) series of 8 skills tests, (4) face to face with 2 unit managers, (5) shadowing current employee - this is also an interview, (6) face to face with 2 higher up managers, (7) face to face with VP, (8) drug screening, (9) background/credit check. They put a lot of effort into bringing on talented people so I suggest really doing your homework on what the company does and the S.T.A.R. method for interviewing. They are looking for specifics as well as the ability to remain calm under pressure.

Claims Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

The interview process can take some time, as Travelers believe in only hiring top talent. There are multiple interviews. Be prepared to be able to give specific examples of how you performed in prior roles. Make sure that you always have questions at the end of the interview. Be yourself and RELAX.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

I received a quick 10-15 min phone interview. This interview went over my resume, what qualities from my past made me a good fit for this role, what about Travelers and this position made this desirable, and asked how fast I can type. After this, I received an email two days later with an appointment to come into their office to take a test. There is not study guide. It is broken into seven categories: (1) excel test, (2) basic algebra & geometry, (3) data entry, (4) fluid intelligence test (patterns - seeing which one is different from the master pattern), (5) ability to interpret policies, (6) personality test, and (7) writing a letter to an upset customer. This is a timed test. Total process is about 2-2.5 hours long.

On the same day of the test, the company purchases lunch for you. After eating, there are three interviews. The first interview is with two managers, the second is with a peer (someone that already is in the position that you are applying for), and lastly with the Director of the managers.

The final stage is getting interviewed by the Director's boss, but this process -if selected- takes several weeks after you took the test and the three-part interview process. If you are selected beyond this point, a background and drug test will be started.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your day?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable being on rooftops? When have you been on rooftops?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer. What happened? How did you resolved it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you delivered excellent customer service where you went above and beyond.   Answer Question
    • Did your previous/current employer have a formal performance review system? If so, describe it. What was your rating in your last review? If we were to make contact with your previous supervisor, how would they describe you as an employee? What will you bring to our team?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an initial phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 20-25 minutes. She just asked me to walk her through my resume and then she told me more about the position. I was contacted last that day to fill out a formal application and to set up an onsite interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were in a leadership role? Describe a time when you failed and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Travelers Companies (Hartford, CT (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied through my University who got me in contact with the company. After exchanging a few emails and the company reviewing my resume, I had an hour long phone interview with the Select Actuarial. He basically asked me about my personality, computer skills, and my basic understanding of Microsoft Office programs, statistical software, and coding.
    This was my first internship interview so I was terribly nervous, but he was very nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked together with a group on a business related project.
      Tell me about a time you had a conflict with someone you were working with, how you resolved the conflict, and rate your relationship with the person after this conflict.
      If a coin is flipped 10 times and lands on heads each time what is the chance that it will land heads again on the 11th flip?
      How does a drivers age effect their risk of getting in a car accident?
      What projects would you be interested in doing as an intern at this company?
      Additional questions based on the content of my resume.

Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Travelers Companies (Hartford, CT (US)).

Interview

Probably one of the worst interview experiences ever. They called me in and then put me in an office for 6 hours with people rotating in and out. Most of the people seemed way to busy then to spend an hour with me and seemed distracted and many were not even involved with the role. The hiring manager couldn't even be bothered to speak to me for more then 7 minutes. Most of the interviews were conversational and unstructured, but basically it seemed like one they had a hard time articulating this role and therefore were not really sure why I was there. Here's a hint, have your hiring managers take 15 minutes and do a phone screen before bringing people in if you don't think they are qualified. It was a waste of my time.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

It took about 4 months. 1st a call with HR. Basic questions like why do you want to work here. 2nd an interview with the two Product Managers. It was less formal and more a conversation where they explained what they did. 3rd an interview with the Director, again informal convo.

The interviews didn't take long, maybe a month or so. The hiring part took the longest. After the interviews the HR rep went mute. They were interested then they told me they wanted to continue interviewing everyone else, which took a few months.

When they did call me to tell me I got the job, HR rep was a little strange. She called me two weeks after that and told me again that I had the job, as if she was telling me for the first time. They wanted me to interview with another person, but then never heard back when I offered my availability. We negotiated the salary. Then they were supposed to send me all the details (vacay etc) and didn't, even though I asked for it via email. They again went mute for a couple of weeks or so. Then I received the offer letter and phone calls from the managers congratulating me on the new job - though I hadn't signed the contract and had just received it.

The offer was contingent on a criminal, credit, and employment background check which they've outsourced to Hireright. The employment check is for the past 7 years of employment. They verify dates and salary.

They give minimal vacay days. They call it 'Paid Time Off' which includes sick time etc. Which is weird. They PTO was 20 I think.

Once I read the terms and conditions I asked the HR rep to send me more details on the bonus and why HireRight had the right to know my salary for the past 7 years, but didn't get it. I eventually rejected the offer.

They didn't manage the offer process well. It was long and disorganised. It took about a month from the time I got the call that I've was hired to the time I received the contract. I also didn't get the answers I needed. The whole interview process was long too - they wanted to hire me one min then went mute, then called me to offer me the job. But by that point months had passed and the initial excitement that is there from doing the interviews had faded.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They did negotiate by upping the offer by a few thousand, but then said that they were not going back tot he drawing board.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Morristown, NJ (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Extensive interview process. Was first contacted via email by a recruiter. Afterwards, set up a phone interview. Successfully passed phone interview and was told I was to come in for 3.5 hour assessment. Assessment was quick, although I did not answer 1 or 2 questions. At the end was asked to write a letter to a disgruntled claimant. I was told I would be contacted with the results of the assessment regardless in two days. When I was not informed, I gave them a call and was told I passed with flying colors. Moved on to In person interview. Met with would-be supervisor and a unit manager. Very relaxed and casual interview process. Both were very friendly. The would be supervisor told me she really liked me and gave me a tip for the next interview with her supervisor. Next, a current employee was brought into the room and I was told to ask as many questions as I wanted. I asked many questions and was eventually walked in on by the next round of interviewers (line manager and manager of operations) These interviewers were slightly more stern than the first, but still acted engaging towards me. Was told the interview process is lengthy and I would be contacted in 2-3 weeks. When I wasn't contacted after 2 and a half, I gave them a call to check up on my status. It was at this point I was told I would not be moving forward. Would rate process as positive, however It makes one wonder if they would have called if they had the information already.

Interview Questions

• What questions did you ask the claims rep employee?
      What are you goals?
      Explain a time you dealt with a difficult customer
      If you could re-do anything in your life, what would it be?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and aside from the automated email saying they had gotten my application there was no other communication for 2+ weeks.

When I was contacted by the recruiter (about 2.5 weeks from application) they scheduled a phone interview they were very accommodating with the times I was available. The phone interview lasted for about 45 minutes and the recruiter was very professional and welcoming, which is different than most phone interviews I have done. The recruiter was very easy to talk to. When the phone interview concluded I was told that I would be contacted by the end of the week to schedule an in person interview however, Friday came and there was nothing. I followed up with the recruiter via email as she had instructed me to do and still there was no communication. About 2 weeks after my phone interview the recruiter contacted me to schedule the in person interview. She apologized for they delay saying that they were busy and the manager is out on PTO.

The in person interview was probably the longest I have ever had. It consisted of 3 phases:

First: an interview with the hiring manager where there were the typical behavioral questions, questions about why traveled, and experience related questions. The hiring manager asked if I would also consider any other positions with Travelers and explained the other positions to me. He discussed what each of the rolls are responsible for. The whole first phase was about 1 hour.

Second: Peer interview and as it happened there was a person currently working in the roll that I had applied for so I was able to ask very specific job related question. The interviewer was very engaged and thorough with explaining what the job entails as well as the processes and procedure that make him excel in this position. This interview also lasted about an hour.

Third: interview with the regional claims manager. This was a very relaxed interview. He ask more of the typical behavioral questions and experience related question and also asked about strengths and weaknesses. I was asked about smart requirements and states that would not be a problem. He remarked at the amount of focus I had put into my career. We discussed both positions similar to what was discussed during back the first phase. This interview lasted for about one hour and fifteen minutes making the entire in person interview at 3 hours.

I asked the standard follow up questions like when will you be making a decision? I was told with in about 2 weeks. I thanked everyone for their time and promptly sent thank yous reaffirming my gratitude.

About two and half weeks past and I opted to follow up 3 weeks after my interview which I based my strategy on. I got nothing in return just plain radio silence. It has now been over a month and there has been no contact regarding the position. Now, I'm not naive and I can take a hint but it would be beneficial to candidates to be notified if they are no longer being considered instead of left hanging.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for travelers?   1 Answer