UC Berkeley

59 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant III Interview

UC Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in April 2010.

Interview Details Interviewing there usually involved a panel of people, although in the beginning of my employment there (1980) I only had to speak to one person.

Interview Question – Nothing more or less difficult than the usual interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted whatever was offered initially; later on my performance dictated my salary increases, and at the end my being at the top of my salary range limited my increases.

Outreach Representative Interview

Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC Berkeley.

Interview Details Easy application process of handing in your resume online. Recruiter will call you randomly (mine was in the evening) and ask you a series of questions related to UC Berkeley, customer relations experience, and scenario questions. If you are selected to go on to the next round, you will have a group interview with about 5 other people.

Interview Question – Would you feel comfortable asking a very low income family for a donation to UC Berkeley?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
UC Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Berkeley in March 2012.

Interview Details Apply to the school, to the department in which you want to study. Make your application as competitive as possible. In our department, you specify a few PI's who you'd want to work with, and they get a copy of your application (if you make some initial cut). Then, they will decide if they want to have you come in for an 'informal' interview. This was my experience.

Interview Question – What would you do to help us with this problem we're trying to solve?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – "we hope you can join us"

Front-End Engineer Intern Interview

Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in December 2013.

Interview Details The process consisted of a traditional in-person interview at the CET's headquarters (located at the 11th floor of the Chase Bank building outside the Berkeley BART station). Since I interviewed for the Front End, I was mainly asked design questions about how I'd improve certain features of their layouts, followed by a slightly unexpected more technical question about text formatting. Before making their decision, they followed up by making me code up a static page about showcasing a company, which also wasn't that bad. Overall the process took less than 3 weeks.

Interview Question – How would you implement a "see more" functionality in Javascript if all you're given is a long string from the backend?   View Answer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Berkeley in November 2012.

Interview Details Postdoc interviews are specific to the lab to which one applies, so the experience will vary. My experience was great. I was put up at the Hotel Durant, which is very nice and fits with the quirky vibe of Berkeley. I met with my prospective PI in the morning, with various lab members throughout the day, gave a 1 hour seminar on my thesis work, and then met with my prospective PI again at the end of the day. I also got free lunch and dinner with lab members at Berkeley restaurants, which was a great opportunity to talk shop without the PI there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Question – I was asked several in depth questions about my thesis work, but that's what I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me much.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much to negotiate; my postdoc started after I was done finishing up a paper in my thesis lab, and the salary is set by NIH standards.

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in February 2013.

Interview Details Relatively smooth process. I directly asked for a TA position from the instructor prior to my first summer TA'ing. I TA'ed for the class for three years. I was then offered the co-instructor position the following year after continued strong display of effort.

Very Easy Interview

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in February 2012.

Interview Details I emailed with my previous teaching experience. Got accepted

Interview Question – You have to ask the professor every day.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Berkeley in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
  • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Assistant Interview

UC Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Berkeley in November 2011.

Interview Details Applied in person and got hired on spot.

Interview Question – General questions such as: why do you want to work in marketing?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations Interview

Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley.

Interview Details This was an entry level position and therefore the questions focused on my experience. My most applicable experience was my volunteer experience, so I expanded on how that would translate to the job and my love of connecting people.

Interview Question – What do you think is the future of college reunions?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered a salary and I was able to easily raise it by $2K just be asking on the phone.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for UC Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC Berkeley interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 59 interview reviews posted anonymously by UC Berkeley employees and interview candidates.