UPS

Updated 14 Dec 2014
Updated 14 Dec 2014

2.0

Seasonal Driver Helper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UPS in November 2014.

I filled out the application and as soon as I finished I was asked to set an appointment time for and interview the next day. I got to the interview and it was sort of like a group interview. We sat in this room for like 2 hours waiting to be interviewed. Then the hr FINALLY came and pulled us out by groups of ten. One by one we went inside the interview room and she asked for our email and do we have a record. If your responses were right she told you orientation is the next day and wear boots to the orientation and you have some extra paper work to fill out once you get home. Basically you got the job.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just why do you want to work for UPS? As long as you have a clean background your hired.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It's seasonal so it's $8 per hour and overtime is $12 but if they decide to keep you pass the season position then you get $16 per hour.

Seasonal Driver Helper Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UPS.

Application was easy. I saw an ad on Facebook, applied on a Monday night, and had an interview scheduled for Tuesday morning. However, when I applied on Tuesday morning, I was told along with eight other potential applications that they were no longer hiring. When I said that I had an interview scheduled, I was told that "it should have been cancelled" even though I just applied the night before. I understand it's a very busy time of year, but that was a complete waste of all our times.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't even make it to the interview because there were no openings (despite being told to come for an interview).   Answer Question

Sorter Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPS.

It started with a room of upwards of 15-20 people or so, to my surprise. The HR manager came in and began talking about the job saying it was the most difficult job you would ever have in your life. That he didn't care if "you were in construction" or you were "in the military", that this would be harder. He also went on about how with the pay during the probationary period and the union dues, you would barely make even all that much money. The interview ended with him saying that after all of that, if you were still interested, to call him the next night. I called and I was only 1 of 3 that got hired. I'm not sure if he effectively scared the others off or they just weren't selected.

Interview Questions
    • He claimed the four reasons to join UPS are money, education, chance for advancement, and benefits, and he asked us to rate these from most important to least important, also stating that if you consider money to be your top priority, you wouldn't last.   View Answer

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Quiet.constant amount of videos.I was instructed to be safe and to help others when asked of my assistance. I was told not to exit doorways/parking areas unless off clock. Injuries were my fault and not their responsibility.

Interview Questions
    There was not an initiation or inquiry of negotiation.

On Car Supervisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPS.

Communication is very vague throughout the process. Ability to get your foot in the door and prove your work ethic, decision-making, and worth to the company. Have to take a timed internet test based on your decision-making and general awareness. If you pass all the required tests, you are given the opportunity to stand out among other candidates to the Division Manager who is the one who puts his name and reputation on newly hired management persons. Must have extremely clean driving record and criminal record. Background investigation is not very detailed or extensive. Drug Testing is not part of pre-employment screening or at anytime during employment unless they administer a "probable cause" test on employees exhibiting suspicious and repetitive behaviors.

Interview Questions
    • Decision-making and ability to prioritize is main focus of pre-employment screening tests.   Answer Question
    Human Resource Managers will boost your confidence by speaking extremely positive about full-time management positions. New hires have absolutely not knowledge of their worth which puts Hiring Managers is a position to lowball you. Be aggressive when negotiating salary as it is very important. Newly hired full-time management personnel should be paid well over $100,000k/year, including an increase in poor stock options and absolutely no cash bonus each year. Promises are made and expectations aren't clearly established and everyone at the Operations Manager Level and on up uses bullying tactics that puts unnecessary stress on the employees in their command.

Driver Helper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longwood, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longwood, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UPS.

I randomly applied one night and moments after I was invited to an interview the next day, so I went. There was a long line of other applicants when I got there, waiting in the hot florida sun for about 20 min. We were escorted to some sort of a classroom where she explained what is expected of us and repeatedly making sure we understood the job position. They expected us to have Monday-Friday full availability because we'd be on call. You are not promised a certain number of hours, hours fluctuate. You'd literally be doing the drivers dirty work by hopping on and off the high UPS truck while carrying heavy boxes and at a fast past. Long story short, they ask a lot from you which I didn't mind but when they mentioned all this is expected of us but we'd only be getting paid minimum wage and no consistent hours I was done. NO THANK YOU. Not breaking my back for this company nor am I going to allow myself to be taken advantage of.

Interview Questions
    • Does everyone understand the job Description? Is there anyone not interested in the job?   Answer Question

They mentioned everything that was expected of us but we'd only be getting paid minimum wage and no consistent hours.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UPS.

This is for the Air Ramp position, working outdoors:

I started an application online. I did not finish it, but received an email reminding me that they had positions available and inviting me to finish my app. Once I did so, I was able to schedule an interview for the very next day. I parked at the facility and signed in with a group of other people waiting to interview.

We all entered a room with a big table. The HR person went over what she called "the good, the bad and the ugly", starting with "the ugly". She was very straightforward about how challenging this position is. She explained we would be working outside in all types of weather. She said we could often be on our knees in the belly of a plane loading and unloading packages. The shifts would start at either 4a or 10p (we could choose which we preferred). She was sure to emphasize the physical demands of the job. She also pointed out that the starting pay is $10/hour. It is a union position, so the union would be deducting $25 from your pay for the first 10 weeks for the initiation fee, then $25 monthly thereafter.

Once she was done with that, she asked if there was anyone who felt they were no longer interested in the position. One person expressed having arthritis in his hands and left. She thanked them for being honest. There was no shaming. She then went on with "the good": full benefits after one year, $5500 per year tuition reimbursement after 90 days, discounts with various merchants and upward mobility. UPS has a culture of hiring/promoting from within the company. I got the impression that this was a very real possibility and that one could do so relatively quickly.

She then conducted brief, individual interviews with each of us. She asked when was the last time I did work outside? How long would I plan on staying on with them? Am I physically able to complete my duties? She then offered me a job contingent on the results of my background check. Also, on my rehire code from previously working for the company. I asked for a couple of days to get back to her. I got fingerprinted in the interim, just to move the process along in case I came back with a yes.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected-how would I do working on a very tight schedule? (The planes have to leave at a precise time daily).   Answer Question

Looking for a higher rate of pay.

Driver Helper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cerritos, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cerritos, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UPS.

You fill out a questionnaire in a room with 20+ others then get called for 1:1 interview. They will hire anyone without a felony. 5 hour orientation but then will only pay you for 4 hours. Diad trainers are to busy to train you so you must learn on your own usually on the job.

Interview Questions
    • Give example of situation with an upset customer & how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    $10 per hour with $22 union dues every month even for Temp employees. No negotiation

Seasonal Driver Helper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Saint Lucie, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Saint Lucie, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UPS in December 2014.

Applications are easy to fill out online, with no massive questionnaire required.
    Application process took less then 30 minutes to process.
    An interview was set up a few days after, Expect the interview to last from 1 to 2 hours. Once at the interview you'll be placed in with a group of other people for company overviews and expectations, while filling out a form and writing you name on a name roster. Then you'll be called out one at a time for a one-on-one interview.
    After that we were told to finish a second portion of the application online after the interview which took less then 15 minutes, following a call by the HR a day or two later for company orientation. DON'T BE LATE for it either, even if it's after a few seconds, or you'll be terminated from the process.

Interview Questions
    • Not that many questions were asked, only actual questions were, If we had any questions for them.   Answer Question

I would have accepted, but I Overslept the orientation process sadly, due to studying for exam finals and lack of sleep.

Driver Helper Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UPS in December 2014.

They had us in the lobby for a cool minutes escorted us to the back room asked a couple questions regarding what area we live in took everybody who lived in that area in a separate room ran a background check gave us the uniform and sent us on our way

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to go here if the driver calls you and ask you to meet them there?   Answer Question
    10 dollar a hour