URS Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.5

Civil Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at URS in September 2013.

Applied online. Next day received an email saying 'thanks for applying, but we are no longer considering you for this position'. Several weeks later received an email asking to call them if I was still interested. I called and the first impression was positive. A phone interview followed. Later a job offer came (without any additional interviews or ever meeting anyone in person). Hiring process seemed extremely atypical.

Interview Questions
    • No hard or tricky questions. Asked me to explain past professional experience, and why I became an engineer.   Answer Question
    They asked my desired salary range. They came back with a lower offer. Tried to negotiate for more.

Piping Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at URS in December 2013.

Applied online and got a series of emails to fill out questionnaires on my background and work experience. 2 weeks following that a call scheduling a phone interview with the Head of the Mechanical Engineering Dept. and the head of the Piping Engineering Division. about a month after that got an email saying another candidate had been chosen. Interviews were all very easy, minimum questions asked. Interviews mostly consisted of explaining what the job would entail and asking if I was up to the tasks and hand, explaining how I would get started, what was expected of me, etc.

Environmental Scientist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at URS.

I was turned down by the computer genereated reviewer. But then a week later I was contacted by a recruiter. I had a phone interview with the recruiter the following monday and by thursday of that same week I had and in-person interview. By friday (the next day) they were starting the background check. And they actually called all 3 of my references. In-person interview should have lasted an hour but I had many questions and last much longer. I thought this interview process went very quickly, not sure if this is standard for the company.

They offered to pay for relocation but if you are unsure about the job, do not take the relocation money. You will have to pay back if you do not stay at the company for longer than a year!

Junior Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at URS in November 2010.

Received phone call from HR to conduct phone interview. Next interview was scheduled with eventual coworkers. Interview was conducted by employees, not HR. Questions were direct and easy to answer. They were more concerned that I had a foundation to build on rather than all of the skills necessary to perform the jobs. Was allowed to grow into my current position

Interview Questions
    They beat my asking, which was a little disheartening because afterwards I felt I lowballed myself.

Scheduler-Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at URS.

As with most companies, the initial application process is online so need to include key words in resume. Then a phone interview with some brief interest questions. Lastly a face-to-face. Expect safety related questions along with relevant experience.

Interview Questions
    • HR does the hiring so they will probably ask more difficult level questions than the job actually requires because the rep doesn't know exactly what you will be doing. Be prepared to have to know more than the job will require.   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiating due to their strict pay structure. They bill the client for a limited range of salary. Try to get a little more, but know they may be bringing you in close to the most they will be able to pay.

Senior Project Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Falls Church, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at URS in January 2010.

Interview was okay. Asked a lot of questions. Got asked a lot of questions. No pressure.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness? I hate that question because it's a trick question. If you say you don't have any, then you appear to be cocky and arrogant. If you state a weakness that is job related or was the same weakness as the previous person, then you have just shot yourself in the foot.   View Answer

Entry-Level Geologist Interview

On-campus interview. Recruiter was very kind and helpful. She was very excited and willing to hire entry-level students. URS was very informational.

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at URS in November 2013.

Submitted resume online; Two weeks later, HR contacted me via email to setup phone interview with a VP of Data Management; One week later, a 30 minute phone interview with the VP and an aviation employee took place. From the very beginning, they were only interested in my aviation background, as I do have other pertinent industrial and academia experiences relating to this position. Amazingly, they "dug" for information specifically about the company's proprietary aviation datasets, main project details, and mostly about government funding as if they weren't interested in "me" but just about my prior company's "status". They deviated away from the job description entirely (i.e. GIS support on environmental and civil projects) - asking about my aviation background only and no other industrial experiences; We briefly spoke about my atmospheric-flight data integration work. They cut me short on discussing my prior accomplishments and also added distractions while I spoke (see below). The distractions happened about 16 minutes within the interview and carried to the end.

What brought this experience to a clearly "negative" level was that the VP had an aviation employee next to him (for screening obviously) who noticeably chuckled and tried adding "gotcha" questions into the interview (demonstrating incompetence and unprofessional, childish behavior).

They never asked if I had any questions regarding their position, about URS, or why I wanted to work for them (it was purely one directional information gathering and they targeted my prior company). It was definitely the worst interview experience in my career, none of which I expected it to be moderated by a 20+ year URS vice president.

Interview Questions
    • Did you even work with any radar data? (sarcastic with a chuckle added)   View Answer

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newport, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at URS.

One of the engineers called me in for an interview. He discussed the tasks of the position with me. Then the engineering manager ask me questions on courses I had taken in college and how I would react to certain situations. Then the manager and engineer took me to lunch.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not difficult at all. They just seemed to need more engineers.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  College Station, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at URS in October 2013.

Emailed to set up an interview time. Worked well to accommodate a time interview lasted about 30 minutes. It was a normal interview process. Let me know in 2-3 weeks that they did not have a place for me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what sets you apart from the other applicants. How should we remember you?   Answer Question