URS Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

2.5

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at URS in November 2013.

Submitted resume online; Two weeks later, HR contacted me via email to setup phone interview with a VP of Data Management; One week later, a 30 minute phone interview with the VP and an aviation employee took place. From the very beginning, they were only interested in my aviation background, as I do have other pertinent industrial and academia experiences relating to this position. Amazingly, they "dug" for information specifically about the company's proprietary aviation datasets, main project details, and mostly about government funding as if they weren't interested in "me" but just about my prior company's "status". They deviated away from the job description entirely (i.e. GIS support on environmental and civil projects) - asking about my aviation background only and no other industrial experiences; We briefly spoke about my atmospheric-flight data integration work. They cut me short on discussing my prior accomplishments and also added distractions while I spoke (see below). The distractions happened about 16 minutes within the interview and carried to the end.

What brought this experience to a clearly "negative" level was that the VP had an aviation employee next to him (for screening obviously) who noticeably chuckled and tried adding "gotcha" questions into the interview (demonstrating incompetence and unprofessional, childish behavior).

They never asked if I had any questions regarding their position, about URS, or why I wanted to work for them (it was purely one directional information gathering and they targeted my prior company). It was definitely the worst interview experience in my career, none of which I expected it to be moderated by a 20+ year URS vice president.

Interview Questions
    • Did you even work with any radar data? (sarcastic with a chuckle added)   View Answer

Construction Inspector/CMR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at URS.

Hiring process was straight forward. Interviews were pleasant and didn't feel like there were any 'gotcha questions'

Interview Questions
    The contract was already set up and compensation and benefits were already in place. Being new to URS at that time, I felt the compensation was adequate for the position I held

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at URS.

First phone call with some basic question

Interview Questions
    they offer very low salary

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at URS in October 2013.

The interview was reasonably casual and Friendly. They seemed genuinely interested to find out about me.
    There were three people interviewing including a senior engineer and hr. not too many classic pre prepared questions.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at URS in October 2013.

Emailed to set up an interview time. Worked well to accommodate a time interview lasted about 30 minutes. It was a normal interview process. Let me know in 2-3 weeks that they did not have a place for me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what sets you apart from the other applicants. How should we remember you?   Answer Question

Graduate Traffic Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at URS in October 2013.

I had an interview in october 2013. They had very straight forward question regarding my experience with softwares required for the position

Civil Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at URS in September 2013.

Applied online. Next day received an email saying 'thanks for applying, but we are no longer considering you for this position'. Several weeks later received an email asking to call them if I was still interested. I called and the first impression was positive. A phone interview followed. Later a job offer came (without any additional interviews or ever meeting anyone in person). Hiring process seemed extremely atypical.

Interview Questions
    • No hard or tricky questions. Asked me to explain past professional experience, and why I became an engineer.   Answer Question
    They asked my desired salary range. They came back with a lower offer. Tried to negotiate for more.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS in September 2013.

I'll be brief : (biased toward negative, however a collective view on the reader is strongly advised)

Their HR department does a good job of setting up the interview and communicate thoroughly.

However, the management and interviewers rank very poorly in my many years of work experience as a Professional Engineer and years of experience in interviews and engineering consulting. They basically give you a massive false hope for the job and a sense of urgent need on a job to a level that you almost basically give notice to current career. BUT be careful NOT to do so .

My experience:
    1- was that they wanted to interview me a for senior engineer position, but when I showed up for the interview after one of month of organizing for the interview, timing issues,... , they said they have somebody for that position and they are looking for a much junior position!

2- The junior position was to start "immediately" and I sensed that they were just kicking the tires in the tight British Columbia, Canada engineering consulting market and giving some false hopes to potentials, So I provided that I like to move forward with their junior position they are offering and communicated that to their HR, interviewer(s) by email and phone message after after the interview process.

3- No answers for couple of weeks, until I followed up the followup by calling one of the VP interviewers on the provided cell to get an update. Response was "we are still evaluating the offered position and we will let you know". Was that a joke or lack of integrity and professionalism, I would let the reader to judge based on this brief experience.

I would give one advice to all North American fellow engineers and other professionals:

1- Due to economic conditions in North America, a lot of engineering consulting companies are able to get away with their hiring, firing, and employe(r) royalty Mal-practices, lack of integrity, and their hire/fire practices. At the end, the engineer or technical professional always is the damaged product and always ends up in the street. Having your own best interest in mind is a good policy to follow. The royalty era is to be framed and be sold in small town antique shops.

2- Engineers are being thought in many school events and lectures to talk about knowledge modesty, however, a slight "fake it until you make it" within reach usually helps you to exceed in your field if you are the ambitious type.

Disclosure : I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • unexpected : going for senior position, telling you that position is already fulfilled but there is this really junior position available. do you want it ?   View Answer

Senior Inspector Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at URS.

Usually first you get interviewed by the client. If the client likes you then URS HIRES

CAD TECH ( Junior ) Interview

Was initially turned down in ONLY interview.