US Airways

Getting the Interview

220 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in March 2014.

Interview Details I did not make it past the video interview so I am not going to give advice on how to answer but I am going to share how it works.

You apply online, then about a week later I got and email asking for me to do a video interview.

You click the link and then have a few basic, multiple choice answer questions.
1. Are you at least 21 years of age?
2. Are you authorized to work in the United States?
3. Do you have a current, valid passport in your possession?
4. Please tell us where you originally heard about this position.
5. If you selected “Other,” please share where you heard about this position. If you did not select “Other,” please write, “N/A”.
6. After completion of Flight Attendant training, you will be assigned to the Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix or Washington, DC base. The base you will be assigned may not be the closest to your current home address. You are not required to relocate to your assigned base location, but it is highly recommended. Is this acceptable to you?
7. US Airways Flight Attendant benefits include a pay rate of $21.74 per hour with a guarantee of 75 hours per month, flight benefits, and other perks that will be discussed during your orientation. Is this acceptable to you?
8. The Flight Attendant position requires the ability to work any assigned schedule, which may include weekends, evenings, and holidays. Schedules are bid monthly, and are awarded based on seniority. Flight Attendants must be prepared to work reserve duty (on-call) and be available to report to their base station in as little as two hours after being notified of an assignment. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
9. Flight Attendants are expected to follow all uniform and appearance guidelines, which include no facial, multiple, or upper ear piercings or extreme hair color or style. You may not have visible tattoos in locations including, but not limited to hands, arms, neck, face, legs and feet. Tattoos cannot be concealed by the use of makeup and/or bandages. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
You must answer ‘Yes’ to all of these questions or once you hit submit you are told that you don’t meet the requirements and cannot go on. You can’t go back and change these answers once you hit submit.

If you answered yes to all of the questions you move on the next page where they let you test out your camera and microphone. There is no time limit on this part. Then once your camera and microphone are working correctly you are told that:

• Each question is going to be read aloud twice.
• You have 60 seconds to prepare yourself for answer and that during this time the video is not being recorded.
• You have 3 minutes for each question but don’t have to use the full time. There is a button to end your answer early.
• You’ll be asked 5 questions.

The questions I got were:

1. Are you willing to have a professional look? No tattoos, no piercings…
2. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
3. What is different about your current job vs being a flight attendant?
4. Time you had a difficult and irate customer and how did you resolve this situation?
5. Time you had a disagreement with boss or coworker and what did you learn from the situation?

I did my video interview on Wednesday and got my thanks, but no-thanks on Sunday. Hope this helps someone get the job of their dreams.

Interview Questions

• Time you had a disagreement with boss or coworker and what did you learn from the situation?   Answer Question
  • Time you had a difficult and irate customer and how did you resolve this situation?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Airways.

Interview Details I will talk about my face to face interview experience.

I am an ordinary guy and ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to be a flight attendant but for some reason, it was too much of a dream. I never felt like I was cut out for it.

I arrived in Charlotte, NC with just a pocketful of dreams. I don't have clear skin. I don't have a perfect white teeth. All I had when I got there was a positive attitude.

The recruiters were very nice and accommodating. I was never pressured to be someone that I am not.

I will not detail exactly how the interview went but instead, I will give you tips and advice on how to make the most out of the opportunity that gave you for a face to face interview.

1. Be genuine. Do not try so hard to be a social butterfly if you really are not.
2. Be nice. Whoever you are talking to, a recruiter or a co-applicant, give them the respect they deserve.
3. Be prepared. Before the interview, I did a lot of research from do's and dont's about wearing a suit to body language when responding to an interview question. Do not ignore that finer details.
4. Look your best. I really don't think it matters what color of suit your wear to the interview. Just wear something that you know you would look your best on and that will make you feel and look confident.
5. Be interested. Listen to what the recruiters say. Listen attentively.
6. Be a good team player. Respect everyone.
7. Practice good posture. This will really help make you look more professional.
8. Follow instructions.
9. Think positively and have no doubts in yourself.
10. Be genuine. You got this! :)

You only get 1 shot at this. Give it your best.

If you were like me who is very conscious about your "looks", don't be. US airways are looking for well rounded individuals. Looks are not important.

Don't let other people tell you, you cant be a flight attendant. Prove them wrong by going to the interview and getting a job offer.

Make it happen. Break boundaries.

Interview Question – What is the least interests you in the FA position and what interests you the most?   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Airways.

Interview Details I submitted my online application at the end of January and then completed the video interview about 2 weeks later. About a month later (Mid-March), I received an invitation to the recruitment event or in-person interview. I attended the March 21st interview, and here are the details:

1. I arrived to the Charlotte training center a little before 9:00am, was given a name tag and led to the dining hall where all the candidates were waiting. During that time, the recruiters went around and checked us all in. By the time all the candidates arrived, we were about 70 in total.
2. They split us into 2 groups, had us drop off our stuff at our respective classroom and then led us to the airplane simulation room for the jumpseat and overhead bin tests.
3. When we returned to the classrooms, the recruiters introduced themselves and gave a brief presentation on US Airways, the FA position and a video about the US Airways-American merger.
4. Then, they had us make timed 1-minute introductions giving our name, where we were coming from and an response to the following question,"What 3 qualities should an exceptional flight attendant have?" They were pretty strict about timing (raising their hand or stopping people when the time was up), so it is important to rehearse your elevator speech ahead of time. It seems they preferred complete, thorough answers so as to assess how well we follow directions and express ourselves. I also recommend thanking US Airways for the opportunity and shouting out to fellow candidates, "Good Luck" or "Thanks for sharing in this crazy experience with me" just creates for a more supportive, fun environment.
5. After introductions, we were divided into groups of 4-5 persons and given a plane crash scenario where we had to rank 12 items in terms of their use and aid for our survival. People tend to get nervous here and try to outshadow, talk over or direct the group; however, I recommend playing a more supportive or organizational role: emphasize priorities, keep the group on task, encourage input from everyone. I was by far not "leading" the group, so I just took the opportunities to show my engagement-second/compliment others' contributions, nod, actively engage during the follow-up explanation. I think ultimately that mattered more, how positively we engage with the other candidates and recruiters.
6. After that activity, lunch was served and the recruiters all left, I suppose to deliberate! Lunch was really good-a few different salads to choose from. That was the first time actually that an airline (I have interviewed with 3 other airlines) ever served me lunch at an interview, which I thought was very nice and considerate.
7. After lunch, the recruiters returned to the classrooms and announced that the interview had concluded, that everyone would have to leave now and that they'd get back to us within a week. Then, at the very end just as we began to pick up our things and head out, they said they needed a few individuals to stay for a bit longer to review paperwork. There were maybe 8-10 of us left in our classroom and I suspect another 8-10 left in the other classroom.
8. After everyone left, they took us to other rooms to conduct the 1-on-1 interviews. The 1-on-1 interview was fairly intense and very much on par with the STAR method. They really want you to provide concrete and specific examples that touch on each of the STAR criteria (describing the situation, task, action and result). I highly recommend searching for sample FA interview questions and practicing answers using STAR to them. Have a good 3-4 work experiences/projects to reference in your answers. Here are some of the questions asked that I can remember...
-Name a time you got into a conflict with a coworker. How did you resolve it?
-Describe a time you learned a new process? How did you go about it?
-Describe a time when you provided excellent customer service? Or describe excellent customer service.
-Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge.
-What is most and least appealing about the FA position?
9. They then led us to another room to wait and told us that there would be another exercise. Slowly other candidates and all the recruiters trickled in. Once we were all there (there were about 12-15 of us maybe), they gave us the tentative offer letters and had us fill out paperwork, get finger-printed, etc.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience and the recruiters made it very exciting and fun. They get you really pumped about the job and company. My biggest piece of advice is to just stay turned on the whole time and have fun! No matter what the result, make the most of it, learn from it and tweak wherever you (I certainly have after 3 interviews), and make new friends!

Interview Question – Really practice and rehearse your introduction and interview questions. Dress the part also! Since you will be held to a strict uniform policy as a FA, you should demonstrate that you are already capable of that.   View Answers (2)

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Airways.

Interview Details Applied then received a phone call for a brief phone interview. From there I was flown to Charlotte for an in-person group interview. They did group activities and observed our interactions with each other. There are several rounds, and after each round they pull people out and send them home. At the end there is a one-on-one interview. Dress professionally, speak professionally. Men - wear a suit. Women- wear a nice knee-length skirt, heels, and a dressy blouse. Focus on safety first, customer service second, and you "love of travel" last or not at all.

Interview Question – Pretty normal interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations. They offer the job and tell you the salary. Every aspect of compensation is negotiated by a union.

Interviewed at US Airways

Interview Details I submitted my online application and resume on 4/9. On that same date I received an invitation to participate in an online video interview. I completed that on 4/13 (do NOT click the link to interview unless you are prepared to complete it). That's why I waited a few days. Within those 4 days I received a "reminder". They ask the questions that have been previously stated on this blog. It's a bit intimidating at first but it was fine. If you dress the part, you will "feel" the part! On 4/16, I received a phone call from HR scheduling me for a recruitment (group) interview in Charlotte, NC for 4/24!! This has been a very quick process for me. Now I'm preparing for the next step. We'll see what happens!

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

Interview Details . Filled out long online application
. Received an email to complete application the next day.
. Email request to do video interview.
Now waiting to hear if I'll make it to the F2F interview.

Interview Question – Mostly situational examples from past employment... How did you handle an irate customer.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

Interview Details I am a former flight attendant. It has been a while since I was in the airline industry. I am accustomed to putting on the smile and being friendly toward all people. I was invited to an interview process at Charlotte Recruitment Training Center. There were about 70 of us. We were taken to the facility and divided into two groups. The initial task given to us was to determine if we can reach the emergency equipment stored in an overhead bin and if we can fit into the jump-seat and fasten the seatbelt. We were asked to go before our group introduce ourselves and tell what in our opinion makes a great flight attendant within a one minute time frame. Some people were excellent in their speech presentation. Others were too nervous but managed to overcome to their obvious fear. Being confident I was called after someone that delivered his presentation like a comedian. While most of the characteristics were previously mentioned, I wanted to emphasis that the empathy that I learned as a flight attendant was something that I carried with me though out my life and it proved to be most beneficial. The last and final task was the group activity I have detailed below.

Interview Question – The following task was presented as a "game". We were given a scenario whereby we were survivors of a plane crash in northern Canada. We were given 12 items that we were to use for survival and were told to list the items we would use in order of priority. I am a competitor and a gamer. My family plays a game called Mafia when we get together over the holidays. I lost my interview state of mind and became a Mafia player. Instead of realizing that the whole idea is not getting the items in order and winning the game, it is how you communicate and show yourself either a leader or a follower, compassionate and understanding.   View Answer

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Airways in April 2014.

Interview Details I had a phone interview, followed by a video interview. A week after that I was invited to do a face to face in charlotte. They fly you in and you do a group interview and activities. If they like you, they ask you to remain after the rest of the class is released.

Interview Question – Standing in front of the group and introducing yourself   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Airways.

Interview Details I applied back in December, and didn't hear anything until mid February when they sent the video interview request. The video interview was awkward and nerve wrecking because your speaking to an automated system. Then about a week later I get a call inviting me to the recruitment day. They provide transportation to and from the training facility in Charlotte. There were two sessions going on at the same time with about 30 people in each session with about 5 recruiters I think I got the good one, because all the flight attendants were SUPER nice, answering questions during breaks and telling their experience as flight attendants. Of course there was the reach test and jump seat test. They tell you that they change things up each time but they really don't, it goes exactly how every review on here has said. There was a lot of potential in the room but when it came time for the 60 second question "in your opinion, what makes a good flight attendant" you could kind of see who was a contender and who was not. Always have three qualities prepared for this question and elaborate of course. I forgot to say where I was from and I still got an offer so being perfect is not a requirement. Everyone's answer was good but not everyone worded it correctly or delivered properly. Then there was the plane crash scenario of course which my group won, of the four of us two of us got offers. We had four out of five right.

I would recommend following the advice of the people that call to set up your recruitment day if you make it that far. You want them to see you as a flight attendant not an interviewee. When I walked through the airports even TSA thought I was crew. Don't wear a short skirt, don't wear different colors, stick with dark blue or black, white collar shirt, always a blazer, have your hair back and if you're a lady a nice red lip won't hurt, for guys always wear a tie. Most importantly be yourself, they're essentially hiring your personality, if you're going to fake your way through the interview you won't be able to fake your way through 4 and a half weeks of unpaid training, so be you! And also if you were previously a flight attendant or currently one, keep it to yourself unless they ask about it. Don't talk about it in your 60 second introduction, it seems to be taboo. Someone who made it to a one on one was escorted out after mentioning the previous airlines they'd worked for. Overall I had a good experience it was nerve wrecking from start to finish but I walked away with an offer with one if the greatest airlines in the world soon to be the biggest global carrier so it was well worth it.

Interview Question – What is the least desirable thing about this job?   View Answers (9)

Negotiation Details – None this is a union job.

Interviewed at US Airways

Interview Details I applied to US Airways flight attendant position on Friday and on Saturday I received an email for a online video interview. On the following Monday I did it. They asked me a couple questions before I was put through to the video portion. I think I answered the questions well but I have not heard back yet. I really tried to be myself but is so hard talking to a computer and being natural especially when you are looking at yourself. Really hope to get a f2f interview. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back.

Interview Question – None of the questions are difficult, they just want to get to know more about you and how you would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Airways

Worked for US Airways? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Airways interview questions and advice. All 220 interview reviews are posted anonymously by US Airways employees and interview candidates.