US Department of Transportation Interview Questions

Updated 7 Apr 2015
Updated 7 Apr 2015

2.8

Program Analyst (Communications) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a 2 person panel. They were naive about the social media space but were thorough in their interview. Two women took turns asking questions. Only 4 candidates were interviewed. They sent a note at the end of the process informing me that they had selected another candidate.

Correspondence Management Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for this job in January and received email confirmation mid-January that I was a potential match. Early February, I received a one panel-style interview with 3 supervisors and HR liaison. I was asked questions on my experience and work style (level of initiative, especially) with specific examples and was told what kind of work I would be doing if I received the job. Each member on the panel took turns asking questions and they were friendly (though I could tell they had work to do elsewhere). About a month later, with no word back, I emailed the HR Liaison to ask about my application and she said I was in the security review/background check process. I went to do my fingerprints in early March. I got word that I was hired early April and came for orientation mid-April. Although I was told I would get an offer letter, I had to ask HR in person during orientation for a copy of it. I did not receive an actual list of tasks that encompass my position until late May.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation since this is a federal job with a specified GS level (at Tier 1). This job was advertised and confirmed during interview as a position with limited to no advancement opportunities.

Program Analyst Interview

Interview

Hiring process is usually through the US government computer jobsite. It's a fairly lengthy application process... but be as specific as you can regarding experience. Interviews vary from department to department usually with an office manager and one of his assistants. The people are friendly and there are no "trick" questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions are general "interview" questions such as...What are your strengths/weaknesses, Once you're interviewed the decision to hire is usually in about a month or less.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

They were really precise on hard and soft skills. Going straight to the point, the interview was a panel with 3 engineers, and I receive answer of acceptance between 1-2 days after the interview.

Writer/Editor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC (US)) in November 2012.

Interview

Managers should refrain from asking employees personal questions during an interview. Questions should be structured based on knowledge, skills, abilities, and job description. Allow enough time for the interview so that it doesn't feel rushed. If there's a test involved, make sure that everything has been setup before hand and not during the interview or at the last minute.

Negotiation

The negotiation was through a contracting agency.

Construction Inspector Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Transportation (Syracuse, NY (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

as any job interview somebody from the department call me to set up a schedule for interview, after the finding the right date I tried to learn more about the department and what this organization about and prepared my self for the day of my interview. In the day of my interview I dressed nicely and got there about 20 minutes before schedule time. After interview and in the same day I sent the thank you letter to the people who interviewed me. Then after 3 weeks somebody from human resources called me to send them some paper work for forther investigation and then I received a call to letting me know if I still intersted for the position.

Engineer Technician Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Department of Transportation (Fairbanks, AK (US)) in May 2011.

Interview

Very short, not difficult

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, not sure if that was an option.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation in October 2010.

Interview

Panel of three. Several open questions similar to what was in the job description opening. All took notes. They gave a written test at the end of the interview and had 30 minutes to provide economic advice on a regulatory scenario. Got a call a few weeks after and accepted. They were very flexible on starting date.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much - entry salary fixed by regulation.

Engineering Technician Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation (Providence, RI (US)) in April 2010.

Interview

Intensive Review Board with multiple call back interviews from different groups within organization. However upon hire, I worked with others in same hiring group that needed training to use email.

Interview Questions

• 3rd Interview - I was offered if I had any questions. I questioned the inspection process for materials.This was head-line news as an entire section of a building at the Airport had collapsed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They do not pay well. there is no negotiation. It is a Union negotiated salary.

Safety Defects Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Transportation (Washington, DC (US)) in December 2009.

Interview

1:1 Couple hours. much of behavioral questions and couple technical questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation.
    salary was fixed