US Patent and Trademark Office
www.uspto.gov Alexandria, VA 5000+ Employees

US Patent and Trademark Office Junior Patent Examiner Interview Questions & Reviews in Washington, DC US

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2014.

Interview Details Via web-ex. Interview was casual. Questions asked could be found online. Interview process took 45 min. SPE was very informative and answered all questions I had about the position as well as the hiring process, including the start date of the next class and how long I should expect to hear back from HR.

Interview Question – Do you know what the patent process is like? What is the role of the patent examiner?   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2012.

Interview Details The interview process begins by going registering and uploading your information (e.g., resume, transcripts) at usajobs.gov. Check several boxes in the questionnaire to show you are qualified. In about a month, they make a determine if you are "selected for an interview." After about another month, you are either "selected" or not; it is online.

Interview Question – "Why should we hire you?" It was the first question asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotation. Take it or leave it.

Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2012.

Interview Details Four months after I submitted my resume at USAJOBS.gov I received an email stating that I was selected as a possible employee if I submitted a lot of paperwork that was sent along with it; I was given roughly 2 weeks to submit them.

About two weeks after submission I had an interview with a primary examiner and an HR person from the USPTO. They asked questions relating to customer service, technical interests, past experiences at work, and even life questions. The interview was fairly short and the interviewers were very nice.

Less than one month after that I received notification that I had been selected to be hired upon submitting more forms, which I did. From the start of my first contact from the USPTO to when I started was roughly three months.

Interview Question – What was the hardest customer service situation you ever dealt with?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. The USPTO runs on government salary structure.

Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in March 2012.

Interview Details applied in February, interviewed in March, not selected in April. In applied on USAJOBS.gov - I already had my federal resume prepared. I carefully prepared my cover letter and did a lot of research to prepare for the interview. Perhaps I didn't get an offer because I was too eager, just guessing. One phone interview with 2 patent managers - both were very nice. Asked what I knew about the USPTO, how would I handle difficult people and to give details about my work experience. It was difficult to hear sometimes over the phone because they were both on speakers. I aksed a question but they either misunderstood or gave me additional information so we kind of went round and round on that one. They were very eager to tell me about the orientation and how you would progress in the position.

Interview Question – Tell me how you handle difficult people.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in December 2011.

Interview Details Interviewed with one principal patent examiner and one HR rep at the same time. Was asked to explain my background, qualifications, interest in the job and knowledge of the patent prosecution.

Interview Question – What is your understanding of the US and global IP systems?   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA (US)

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in May 2007.

Interview Details 1. Submitted my resume to the USPTO.gov website. Called several times to follow-up, but that did not help. Finally received a call about 5 weeks later. Told them I would be in the D.C. area in a few weeks for a job fair
the USPTO was having. Arranged a meeting then.

2. After that, received another phone-call basically seeing if I could construct an a English with proper sytax and grammar. After that, another 3 weeks passed.
3. Finally, received an email with the offer and salary amount, GS grade. Called and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on.   View Answer
  • Describe your understanding of the Patent Application process.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. Its the Government. GS scale pretty much leaves no room for negatiation. Either you
have the degree/experience or not.

Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2008.

Interview Details Interviews were being held at City College in New York. Everybody first sat through a 30 minute presentation of an overall summary of the job, the facilities on campus, etc. After the presentation, each person was assigned to an interviewer. My interviewer was a SPE- a supervisory examiner- who had a form of generic interview questions (the questions are the same for everyone). It was a pretty easy interview. My interviewer even called human resources to hire me immediately! Basically, you know if you're going to be hired or not after the interview.

Interview Question – How do you react to criticism?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You enter the PTO at a certain grade level eg. if you have a masters you enter at GS-9, which has a specific payscale.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US Patent and Trademark Office? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Patent and Trademark Office Junior Patent Examiner interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Patent and Trademark Office employees and interview candidates.