USAA

Updated 14 Dec 2014

2.8

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA.

Applied through on-campus recruiting website. Was contacted for a first-round interview. Had dinner the with the employers the night before. First interview was behavioral/fit - mainly asking about you and why USAA. Was contacted within two weeks for a second round interview at their headquarters in San Antonio. The second round took most of the day, and consisted of a 30 minute one-on-on interview, a online skills assignment, and a group case study/presentation, as well as a tour of the office.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of the challenges facing the financial services industry?   Answer Question

Channel Manager III Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA.

My interview process was different because I had an internship before I got full time job. The internship interview was on the Skype and it was behavioral based. The second interview was based on my internship.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA.

I had a phone interview and a second interview on-site. The phone interview was very laid-back. The questions are mostly based on how you solve problems not coding questions. The second interview was very similar. They ask a lot of "How would you solve this problem" and "Tell me about a time" questions. They also ask 3 questions that evaluate your developer skills, 1 was "Tell me an innovation that would better the customer experience during accident claims"

Interview Questions
    • The innovation question was kinda difficult because it caught me off guard.   Answer Question

I was offered an internship somewhere else and I accepted that one instead.

Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at USAA.

The process took a month for me but I was the first person to be interviewed for the position in the first round. There are two rounds: The first is a typical interview, with two people and they ask you pretty difficult questions. I waited about two weeks and got an invitation to the second round. The second consisted of a dinner with the other people being interviewed and a few managers for the position. Very laid back. Went to a hotel downtown for dinner. Then the next day we went and we were served breakfast, then the interview itself took 15 minutes, very easy questions, not as hard as the first round. Then you were escorted back where they fed you lunch and took you on a tour of the building. I heard back within the week through an email, but that was because I wasn't offered the position. People who were offered got phone calls. I have to say though once they realized they didn't want me they became very rude. I sent thank you emails to the interviewers and never heard back. I haven't decided if I'll apply for another position.

Intern Interview

First round of interviews on campus. Interview was primarily more of a fit-type of interview. Two weeks later got offered to have a second round at their main office in San Antonio. Second interview was much more in-depth

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you made a decision and regretted it?   Answer Question

Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at USAA.

Applied through university career website. Was contacted by university relations for a phone interview within a week. Phone interview was approximately 40 minutes, consisted of open-ended questions such as "tell me about yourself and about what you do at school", and then more behavioral questions such as "tell me about a time when...". Interview was very casual and seemed to be geared towards informing me about the company and further steps in the interview process.

After about a week, received a request to attend final-round interview in San Antonio. I was flown in and attended a pre-interview dinner with candidates for various internship positions and employees from different parts of the company. The next morning, the other candidates and I were taken to the company's main campus for breakfast, a building tour, an individual interview, and finally a presentation on employee benefits.

The individual interview was a very casual and comfortable process. Each candidate was sent off to interview with 1 or 2 senior employees. To my surprise, this interview was exclusively behavioral in nature and was described as solely intended to determine the candidate's fit with the company culture, as the best of the best had already been selected through the resume drop.

While the position is open to people from various business or math backgrounds, it seems that the majority of the people who work in Risk Management-type positions at USAA are very analytical and technical people with PhDs or Master's Degrees in statistics or mathematics. This could potentially be very offputting for someone who comes from a less analytical background, especially while having to socialize for long periods of time with those employees during the in-person interview process.

Overall, the company seems to have a very welcoming and personable culture. The culture is, of course, also very military oriented and appears to carry a hierarchical system of rank and respect which is not found in other companies.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a large transition in your life and how you handled it with many things going on at the same time.   Answer Question

I received an offer from another company for a similar position in which the pros outweighed the cons more so than with this position. The other company is larger and does not serve a niche market, so it offers its opportunities in several hubs around the country. To the best of my knowledge, a career in risk analysis with USAA requires relocation to San Antonio, at least in the early stages of your career. While this was not necessarily a factor in my decision, the other company also offered a higher wage. However, USAA has an amazing benefits package and its San Antonio campus can only be described as something out of your wildest dreams. I would describe the company as very state-of-the-art, tech-savvy and "cool".

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA.

Attended a career fair at my school and stopped by the USAA table. I have them my resume and I received an email a couple days later about applying for the intern position. I was told to apply and then set up a phone interview within the same week of receiving the email. I interviewed with two people and they asked me basic questions as to who I was, why I choose my degree, and what do I look for in an employer. Really basic. The interview lasted 30 min and was a great experience. The interviewed were really easy to talk to and connect with.

Interview Questions
    • What is the hardest analysis problem I have ever done?   Answer Question

Auto Claims Adjuster III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at USAA.

I submitted my resume October 1st, and the next week I had a typing test and personality test. I then had a phone interview, a few days later I was called back to schedule an in person interview. My in person interview was Tuesday and one week later I was called back with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time when you had to deliver bad news to a customer?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating. They give you an offer and you either accept or decline. They do discuss you benefits and compensation.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at USAA.

Spoke with the recruiters at an college job fair during the Fall semester. Was able to set up an on-campus interview the next day. Interviewed with the IT Manager. Interview was very easy to talk to and relate with. Very smooth interview. Questions were behavioral, how you work on a team, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Come up with an idea that would improve the customer experience (something along those lines)   Answer Question

Auto Claims Adjuster III Interview

I applied online – interviewed at USAA.

it took about two to two and a half weeks for them to contact me from the date I applied online. First there was a phone interview where the situational and behavioral questions were asked. After she discussed the salary and benefits and said that she will move me to the next step. Which was the face to face interview with a manager or two.