Ulta Beauty

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in March 2010.

Interview Details Was referred by an employee. Had 3 phone interviews, one in person, and had to demonstrate proficiency with hair. The job was described to me as a supervisory one with travel, and supervision of salon managers. I was told I would also manage a salon and have to meet a certain dollar average in service sales myself per week. I was told they rarely hold the SMT to this criteria as they travel a lot.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered more than I asked for. Surprised me until I became employed and saw the workload.

Salon Market Trainer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in December 2008.

Interview Details At this time the salon services group did the interview after being endorced by the district manager. There was a online personality profile and 2 phone interviews. None of the interviews are done in person.

Interview Question – How would you treat a company emegency?   View Answer

Salon Market Trainer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2010.

Interview Details Very complicated process. I had a total of 7 interviews between phone interviews and in-persons. I also had a technical interview. The personality test is exhausting and i don't feel it is very accurate. My recruiter was EXCELLENT and the DM and BDM I interviewed with at the time were amazing! It was a long drawn out process and I actually turned down 3 other offers at the time waiting on Ulta. Luckily for me they hired me, if they had not I would have been in trouble.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were able to keep an employee from quitting?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you were able to quickly turn a bad guest situation around and make it very positive?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I should have asked for more money. I started as a salon manager and many stylists in my salon make more than I do. You can probably make more as a stylist too. Ask them to be very specific about advancement opprotunities and time frames. The bonus plan is horrible, so don't let them sell you on that. The benefits package is awesome however, especially for the salon industry. If I had it to do all over again I would have asked for roughly $22/hr. I was able to negotiate $16 but once they get you in, your pay increase is a joke. Even if you score above target on your review. My advice get the money up front, cause you won't see a dime more. Okay maybe a dime every year if you are a really good employee.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ulta Beauty

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty Salon Market Trainer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees and interview candidates.