Urban Outfitters

Updated 14 Dec 2014
Updated 14 Dec 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Small 10 minute interview that involves question on previous experience and jobs. They aim to judge personality. Also enquire about music taste, and working within a team, etc etc. Pretty standard interview. Quite passive interview style. You need a resume too. Prefer to be well spoken as well.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I filled out an application and a week later was asked to take a survey. Two weeks later I was invited to a group interview. There were only 3 other people in my group. The interview was laid back and extremely quick. It took less than 10 minutes which was kind of odd. We were asked simple questions like : "why should we hire you?" ,"availability?", "what do you like about Urban Outfitters?" and "What do you know about customer service?" . It was simple but didnt feel like a proper interview.It was very rushed. Overall it was easy and would recommend applying.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I first filled out a very detailed application online before being emailed about a group interview. Questions were very simple - we answered in a round robin fashion, with the interviewer even answering the questions herself. Be personable, charming and dress as if you shop at UO if you want a chance at being hired. They hardly care about past retail experience so long as you can answer questions about LP. I was emailed a test to take online before being called about a second interview with the store manager. My second interview was very laid back and took less than 10 minutes. He asked what I do in my spare time to see if I was a good fit; nothing about experience really. Got a call about a week later. Entire process took about two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What is loss prevention? What is your spirit animal? Time you gave great customer service? Best and worst customer experience you've had? Why you want to work at UO? Where you get your fashion inspiration from?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Too much done online. Went through multiple questionnaires and video interview processes before being deemed eligible for a formal interview with the Store Manager. Once I got that interview, it was unprofessional (done in the store with customers walking around us and being distracting). The manager made it clear that there was a "promote from within" agenda with the company and that I could work as an associate to 'show good faith' sort of thing. I could tell that the position would be dangled so that they could get someone to work the floor during the busy holiday hours.

Interview Questions
    • Hypothetical of what I would do to motivate employees who weren't performing quickly enough.   View Answer

Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online and got a job interview via my email in 3 days. I think the process was so fast because it's seasonal right now. It was a group interview, there were 3 other people and me. Everyone in the group was very intimidating but I was feeling very confident of myself and how I was answering the questions. Sadly I didn't get the job though.. Probably because I didn't have no experience unlike the others in the group.

Interview Questions
    • A time you gave good customer service?
      A fashion you like that you see on the street right now?

Answer Question

Senior Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online, in about two weeks got a call for an interview, this was a group and it clearly made the outgoing stick out. They ask mainly about who you are and situation questions. Very easy and fun!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I was looking at the jewellery at Urban Outfitters when an employee asked me if I was looking for a job. We talked for a few minutes and he made me pay for what I wanted to buy. I told him I'd come back with my resume but he suggested to go applyonline first. I applied online the same night, it was on a Friday.
    On the following Tuesday, I got an e-mail inviting me to come to the in-store Job Fair. I went, they ask you to dress casual, as you would if you worked for the store. I had a group interview, we were three and the manager didn't ask hard questions (which book would you turn into a movie if you could, waht kind of music do you listen to, what do you have that you could bring to a team, etc.)
    I left feeling good about the interview and then 24h later I was sent the Opinion Survey ( that you have to answer as a goody two shoe or like you were answering it for your grandmother).

Four days later I got an e-mail telling me I had the job!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online through the website. Got a call & email from the store I was applying for. Brought in to fill out another application. Brought in to have a group interview with really easy and fun questions. Called back in again to do another interview with similar questions. Was hired by phone.

Temporary Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2014.

UO posted on their facebook page that they were looking for Christmas temps and left an email adress in which you were to email your cv. After I did that they sent me an email asking me to fill out my availability, they said that was all ok and the next day I had an email inviting me to an interview 3 days later (Friday).
    Turned up to interview early and waiting with three other girls who were in my group. Team leader interviewed 5 of us and had more groups to interview that day and following Monday.
    Was very laid back, interview took place on shop floor on a couch and some stools while customers were browsing around the shop. Interviewer was very nice and made everyone feel comfortable even ran our interview over allocated time.

Asked questions like
    - Give examples of good and bad customer service and examples of when you were given good/bad customer service
    - Everyone has their own personality at UO, some are good bakers, artists. Give three qualities you could bring to the store that are unique to you.
    - Why you wanted to work for UO
    - If you were successful what would be your favourite department to work in and why.

We then asked interviewer why she enjoyed working there, her favourite department ect.
    Said she had more interviews later that day and more on Monday so we would hear back after Monday. I heard back later that day so knew straight away I was unsuccessful, I emailed and thanked them for their time and asked if I could get any feedback as to why I was not successful and still no email back. I was also confused as to why interviewer kept saying it was for a full time position (5 days out of 7) yet everyone there was either college student or school student so no one had that availability and they knew that because we all sent it in the email.

Interview Questions
    • Three qualities you can bring to the team that are unique to you.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2014.

Picked up an application in store, filled it out and handed it back the following day. Got a phone call a few days later to come in for a group interview.

Was the first to arrive for the interview, approached a member of staff who radioed to let a manager know I was there and told me to go take a seat outside the fitting room. A few other applicants began to arrive and in total there was 8 of us. 2 of the managers greeted us all and we moved to the back of the store and sat in a group circle. First thing we did was introduce ourselves to the group (just saying our names) and then came the group activities.

1) Buddy up with the person sitting next to you and find out 3 facts about them and then present them to the group. Hate this particular question in group interviews but I just came up with i'm a blogger, recently moved to the city and have my own clothing company.

2) We got partnered up with someone different and were given a piece of paper to write down 10 things we would take with us on a desert island. Most answers were silly things and the essentials (i.e. lilo, toilet paper, bottle of vodka). Gave us the chance to have a chat and a laugh with each other.

3) Final activity was, again, to buddy up with someone different and to go find a piece of clothing in the store and bring it back and present it to the group - including the price, any offer it may be in, if its in season, what outfit to pair it with etc.

The managers then told us a little about what it's like to work within the company - staff benefits, expectations etc - we filled out an availability form, asked any questions we had and that was the end of the interview. I was very surprised there weren't any questions about the company at all but it's always important to do your research beforehand.

Got a voicemail message the next day to call back and discuss feedback - immediately thought "right..didn't get it". Both interviewers had gone home but the girl I spoke to told me that they were very impressed and would like to offer me the job! No start date is set yet but it'll be within the next week or so.