Urban Outfitters

Average Difficulty
291 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details Small 10 minute interview that involves question on previous experience and jobs. They aim to judge personality. Also enquire about music taste, and working within a team, etc etc. Pretty standard interview. Quite passive interview style. You need a resume too. Prefer to be well spoken as well.

Interview Question – Where you aim to see yourself in 5 years.   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online. A few days later, I received an email about doing a video interview on hirevue which was pretty cool because you were just recording your answers so it wasn't like you had to talk to anybody. Two weeks after that I received an email about completing a online survey (the answers were clearly common sense, not hard at all) and then a week or so later I got an e-mail about having an interview. My interview was one on one. The women's manager emailed me about the interview, but she wasn't there so the store manager was supposed to do it, but he got stuck on a conference call so one of the assistant managers did it, and it was like I was having a regular conversation with a friend about our likes and dislikes. The interview was good there weren't any crazy questions I got asked and the questions were pretty much the same as the other people have said: loss prevention, what are your hobbies, what trends are you into, etc. After the interview she told me that she would do a reference check and I would hear back from her soon. I got really excited because she told me I seemed like a good fit (make sure you smile a lot ad engage the interviewer, they love that!) and even though I didn't have any previous retail experience that was okay because they would teach me whatever I needed to know. After six days of me waiting for them to call and refreshing my e-mail every five seconds like a crazy person, I was called with a job offer!

Interview Question – there wasn't any crazy questions, nothing caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, the pay was waay better than any other minimum wage job I had and I really wanted to work there anyway.

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online once and didn't hear back. I resubmitted my application again about 3 weeks later and I got an email calling me in for a group interview during their job fair day the following week. I went in with 4 other people in the break room and was interviewed by the women's department team leader. The questions were pretty standard and I did a lot of research beforehand so I felt fairly prepared. Everything talked about their experience and everyone had worked in retail previously. I had no retail experience which intimidated me but I showed an eagerness to learn and work. The interview was planned to be about 30 minutes but it was really closer to an hour because everyone was given a chance to talk. We were asked questions about the store (what's good customer service, how would you approach a shoplifter, why do you want to work at urban, etc.) and then questions about our personality (who would be your alter ego, what makes you you/your favorite hobbies, what inspires you.) Afterwards, she let everyone go and told me and another guy to stay back. She told us we were good to move on to the next round, which was a meeting with the store manager. Plot twist, the second interview was going to be in 25 minutes. The interview with the manager was really easy and didn't even feel like an interview. Most of it was just us (me, the guy from my interview, and 2 guys from another interview) getting to him as a person and his background. We spent a lot of time (almost 1.5 hours) just chatting and then he told us at that point we had already received the positions. He was just trying to get a feel for us as people.

The overall process was a bit nerve-wracking for me personally, because I had no retail experience going in and only one job beforehand. However, they told me they were attracted to my positive energy so this is a PSA to people without experience like me: It's not all about experience so don't let your lack of it discourage you! Stay positive. Be eager to learn!

Interview Question – Why Urban Outfitters? Who would be your alter ego? How would you handle a shoplifter? What do you do to keep you inspired?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details I went to a job fair they were holding in store. I was the first to arrive and received two short interviews. The first was with two team leaders that asked me more about trends, my personality, and why I wanted to work there. The second was with the store manager and he asked more questions that had to do with the actual job such as customer service, receiving bad criticism, and availability. He then told me he'd contact me later. The next day I received an email asking me to do an online interview using the HireVue app. It asked 4 very easy questions, the first asking to draw a picture and describe it. Then I waited another week for an email with a request to complete an ethics survey. Mostly had to do with doing drugs on the job, loss prevention, etc. Essentially, you answer how you would if you wanted to work there. (Be a goody two shoes). Now I am waiting to see if they will contact me with an offer or not.

Interview Question – If you could combine two any two animals together, what would they be?
Describe the last time you received bad criticism.
Describe the last time you received good customer service.
Draw a picture of yourself and describe it.
What's one item you could not live without?
  Answer Question

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details I applied online, maybe two weeks later received notification that I would participate in an online interview. This is intended to make you feel comfortable and truly express who you are without the nerves. The first thing in the video interview was to run and grab paper and draw a picture. Some other questions were to describe your style and taste in music, some job history and education history (where you went - high schools, colleges, etc.). The final question was what is one item you can't live without - be creative and have fun with this one. All questions have a time limit so you to ramble on. A day after I was given an ethics test. Less than a week after that I scheduled a time for a group interview. I wore wide leg fabric pants in a tribal pattern with a simple top and wedges. Try to wear something daring and trending - aka kimono, dressed up romper, something to show you have that out of the box style. Don't get worked up about it or you'll be nervous and have artificial answers. After the interview I had to tell the interviewee I would only be able to work for a month before I moved. He said they were rooting for me to do well and was disappointed by this news. Basically I would've very likely been hired otherwise.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you were given excellent customer service   View Answer

Sales Associate

Interview Details I applied online and less than a week later I got an email asking for a video interview. They asked four questions for the video interview and I had to record myself answering them. It was fairly relaxed and easy. One of the questions was to draw a picture of myself/life and describe it. Then I got an email a few days after that to fill out an ethics survey which had to do with things like loss prevention, drugs, and customer service. About 2 days after that I got a call to come in for an interview. The interview was one on one, very relaxed and welcoming. I was asked to tell him about myself, what I know about Urban, why I'd like to work there, a challenge I've had to overcome, something that inspired me recently, what I do when I'm not working, what do you look for in an ideal coworker/boss, and questions about availability and my previous job. Overall, it was a pretty fun interview and felt more like a comfortable conversation. I was offered the job on the spot. My advice is to dress the part, do your homework on the company, be confident, and just be yourself. Also, in regards to the question "Why Urban?", what I've learned from friends who have worked there/are working there, do not say you want to work there because of the clothes. Say something about the company itself, show that you know what UO is all about.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Sales Associate

Interview Details The process took about 2 weeks. I applied online and got an email inviting be to their open interview, so I went. I didn't even know there was an open interview for anyone at all, even if they were just shopping and saw the poster so there were probably over 200 people. Everybody lined up and there were 4 interviewers. The interview was 1 on 1 - a sales associate would tell us which of the 4 interviewers to go to when it was your turn. I was very lucky because the guy that ended up interviewing me was actually the manager who read my application. Interview was fairly easy - mostly about what you like to do and personality questions.
The next day i got an email asking me to do the video interview from Hirevue. The interview was pretty easy as well, even though i was super awkward talking to myself in front of a camera and i felt that I wouldn't make it through to the next step, but sure enough i did!
After the weekend I got an email asking me to complete the ethics quiz / opinion survey. The questions were mostly straight forward but some of the questions threw me off and were tricky. You need to take your time to read carefully. Since i got an email back a day after for all the other times, I was sure i failed this survey since i didn't get anything, but 2 days later at night, I received an email inviting me to a 2nd interview.
So i went, and was super nervous because I knew if I messed up here i'd be screwed. And yes, i messed up pretty bad because when telling the manager about myself I accidentally told him I had no talents... oops. But he was very nice about it, and carried on a conversation about how we all find our talents sooner or later and asked me about my hobbies, basically helping me find my talent. Overall, I think there were 3 questions because we spent most of the time making conversation about music, school, life, etc. The questions were more serious than the first though, as it asked about what you know about the job and such.

So, after that mistake i made and being super awkward at my 2nd interview I was sure i didn't get the job.. There were around 10 others at the 2nd interview. But today I get a call from the manager offering me a job and excited doesn't being to describe my feelings right now! I don't even have any retail experience! (And in Canada they hire at any age, not 18 like the other posts say, although I'm sure it'd be better to be over 16.)

Interview Question – If money wasn't an issue, what kind of party would you throw?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details I applied online on a Wednesday and the application process is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to answer the short answer questions in a manner that makes you seem appealing to UO culture. The following Monday I received an email link to an ethics survey which is easy enough to complete as long as you use common sense and read carefully. A couple hours after I submitted the survey, I received an email inviting me to a group interview in 2 days. I accepted the invitation but I was nervous about the group setting and my absence of retail experience. At my interview, it was just myself and one other applicant. I thought that we both looked the part. Although I was soo nervous, I answered all the questions with wit and honesty and kept my calm. I would recommend reading the other interview questions posted on this site so you know what to expect. After the interview I wasn't feeling particularly confident because the other candidate had previous retail experience and was very personable. The manager who executed the interview was really nice and easygoing, which took the pressure off the interview. At noon the next day I received a call from the manager offering me a position. All in all, be confident with your answers, don't be repetitive, and make yourself stand out from the applicants!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate given that this was my first retail position and I was happy with the offered wage anyway. I received about 20 cents above minimum wage.

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details I applied online and received a call shortly after to come in to the store for an interview. I interviewed with one of the assistant managers and was asked about my past retail experience, hobbies, and interest in Urban.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any difficult questions. They were all pretty basic and straight forward.   Answer Question

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online on the URBN website and a few days later I received a link through my email to do an online ethics survey that asked questions about how I felt about stealing or coming into work under the influence. A few days after that I was asked to do a video interview. I did not do the interview because I was out of town but they emailed me about it again and so I decided to do it. I downloaded the Hirevu app on my iphone and I was able to do it anywhere at anytime. They asked four questions and with each question I received about 3 minutes to 30 seconds to prepare and then I was time recorded to answer each question. The first question they asked me to draw a doodle of myself and to explain it, a time I was disappointed by someone and what I did about it, and one thing I could not live without .There were no options to watch my video or to edit anything, so every second counts! After I submitted my video the very next day they asked me to email them back if I wanted to come in three days later for a group interview and they asked me to dress casual and how I would if I worked for them. I decided to wear a racerback tank, shorts, and gladiator sandals.I went to the interview and two managers took two other interviewees and myself to a cafe downstairs to conduct the interview. The managers were very open and laid back, the man wore a fitted cap backwards with a big black tshirt, black jeans, and tennis shoes, and the female wore a casual top that was backless with a black skirt and sandals. They asked us to introduce ourselves and tell them something that they wouldn't know just by looking at us, why we wanted to work at Urban Outfitters, what set us apart from other candidates, and if we knew about loss prevention (I never worked retail before but they had no problem explaining it to me and asking what it meant to me and ways I would prevent it). The interview took about 20 minutes and afterwards the other candidates and I went back into the store to sign forms for a background check.

Interview Question – Draw a picture of yourself and explain it   Answer Question

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!