VMware Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct 2014

3.2

Storage QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Got a call from VMware Bangalore.
    Interview got scheduled, asked to keep laptop with internet along.

In my case:
    Interviewer is not much interested in my previous role.
    He directly jumped to interviewing.
    He is much interested in the logical and analytic questions.
    Interviewer may ask to write one or two programs online (collabedit or something).

Interview Questions
    • • About yourself
      • Previous company’s profile role and other things.
      • SCSI ISCSI NAS SAN FCP real time questions around these.
      • flogi plogi
      • Why fcp?
          Can we use scsi cables in data centers? (cost is not a matter)
          Why add another layer fcp, why not scsi itself?
      • Virtual memory, paging,
          I have a 10GB file on HDD and RAM is 4g
          I want to change first and last bit of that 10GB file.
          Explain how this works?

• WAS ASKED TO WRITE 2 PERL programs
      - Read input from stdin and replace all vowels with upper case except 'u' and print to stdout.
      - I have an array of n elements.
          Find out if array has a sub array whose sum is 0.
          [1,2,2,-3], yes [1 2 –3]
        Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vellore
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vellore

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in June 2014.

There was a return test which has 3 sections . technical , aptitude and c++ /java. selected around 20 from a people of 130 . the cut off was 85% . then the shortlisted students had a skype interview call .

Interview Questions
    • asked for area of intrest and went deep into consepts . return contains c++ and java along with 15 aptitude and 30 techincal questions from the areas like dbms , c , os   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

first round is written test in the college. then 1-1 technical interview in the office only then the Manager took the technical round. they will test your basic knowledge about the subjects. later some students were shortlisted for hr round. concentrate more on c c++ ds os basics of networks.

DSE (Kernel) 10+ Years of Exp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

I had an initial short Phone discussion with a manager followed by a technical telephonic interview by the panel (sometime in May this year).
    Post that I was invited for a day long tiring F2F interviews. I had 5 rounds of interviews (including Manager Discussion as concluding round) on this day of F2F ( in total 6 rounds). I was informed by the hiring manager that I would be kept posted about the progress.
    I even followed up with the coordinating HR, but didn't get any response from him (I took it as a very discourteous and unprofessional - Candidates, if they are spending whole of their day time, definitely would expect feedback from coordinators.

Further, again I got a call from the same Coordinating HR - He informed me that my "Resume is shortlisted for the telephonic interview" for the same position for which I was already interviewed earlier. I reminded him that I am already interviewed and he is supposed to give me the feedback of my past interaction. I received the standard answer that he will get back to me. I am though not been informed till this day.

It's really funny and completely unprofessional from the HR side - otherwise it was a good experience from interviewers side as they were very cooperative & courteous.

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

The interview process was very smooth:
    Written test (very generic) no grammar test.
    Panel Interview
    Manager round

all these were done in one day and no waiting time got free in 3-4 Hours and I was told it will be half a day process.

Shortlisted candidates had HR round.

That is followed by background verification and you would need to mail all your certificates for the check.

Interview Questions
    • Create release notes and one essay question on any application of your choice.   Answer Question
    1 week

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mangalore
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mangalore

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

The process was role focused and organisation fit focused rather than a memory dump. The interviewers were able to judge candidate ROI by asking questions which were requirement concentric rather than stretching an interview with questions that really don't matter. The interviewers were really friendly and displayed company culture of work life balance throughout the process. A good experience compared to other companies.

Interview Questions
    • SDLC life cycle and every aspect of requirements gathering , types of testing and stakeholder management. The questions were more around the resume and based on experience in the resume rather than out of the blue ones.   View Answer
    Once you are selected for Vmware , they make a very generous offer that there would be no need to negotiate. The work culture is on par with google. The people in the organisation are talented and very humble. The company has a start up culture where every employee is treated like a family. Overall an amazing place to work for hands down.

Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

single round of interview as they had requirement,
    else atleast 3-4 years of experience is required
    They will conduct thorough interview and might require you to have experience in some of their internal tools as well

Interview Questions
    • nothing much due to requirement only basic outlook AD questions   Answer Question
    When hired as contractor, better to negotiate with VMware than vendor as vendor does not have any control
    20-30% hike can be easily expected but should be with RS 7.5lpa as of 2014 if hired as L1

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

The interview process was actually very considerate and they tried to finish all the rounds in a day.

1. Written test - The only issue I found here (and some other companies as well) is they make you write using a pen and paper!! I think when you interview for a technology company, you must provide the interviewee with a computer. It saves paper and frankly, it had been so long since I wrote, it took forever!

2. Interview with senior members of the team - I think the girls who interviewed me wanted me to think like how their company works. I could only tell them how *I* work in my current situation. They were very critical and tried to make me get defensive which I did not appreciate.

3. Interview with the hiring manager - I liked talking to the manager who was more forthcoming with what he expected from the role and the plans the company & he had for the team as well.

Overall, everyone was extremely courteous and from the background I received of the team, it was a huge team and the growth opportunities were abundant, which was one of the main reasons I was looking for a change.

Java Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Got call from HR from Banglore, For Telephonic Technical Round.

Interview Questions
    • 1) This was pure Technical JAVA interview Questions, Same basic questions and then questions on socket programing.   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

It went through smoothly. One round telephonic was technical. This was followed by two rounds of technical F2F discussions. Finally, there was a managerial round. The technical interviews went well - mostly expected questions. Some programs to be written (Binary tree traversal, linked list, string matching). Unix internals. But, it took a couple of months to get the offer letter in hand - after I was confirmed selected.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but a little unexpected. I was asked to design a chess game software. What data structures I would use was asked.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate; was satisfied with the offer.