Vanguard

337 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Brokerage Associate Interview

Brokerage Associate

I applied through another source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details Initially a telephone interview. Next, you were called in to meet with a manger and supervisor. If everything went well you got the job. The onboarding was interesting. You were inundated with the Vanguard mantra through team building exercises. You were pretty much free to leave early if you finished the book assignments they gave you.

Interview Question – Questions were in the star format. Not too complicated.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything. Either you work for us or not. We do not care. We have over 2000 applicants a day.

Investment Analyst Interview

Investment Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2014.

Interview Details Behavioral based interview. They want STAR answers. Interviews are highly structured by HR and managers may stick to the script. You must interview well to have a chance. It was a multi interview process and I was alerted within 1 week if I advanced to the next interview. No interview exceeded 1 hour.

Interview Question – Name a time you encountered conflict with a coworker and how did you resolve it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied through another source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2010.

Interview Details They contacted me by email from some internet job site. First a phone interview then a panel interview with STAR questions. The interviewers were a team leader and a principal, the team leaders boss.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you disagreed with your boss? Explain how you answer a question you do not know the answer to? Where do you get you business news from?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, fixed offer

Malvern, PA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

Interview Details Referred through a contact who set me up with the interview. Behavioral questions on the phone, took about 30 minutes or so. Use the STAR method when answering the questions, as this is what they're looking for.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed necessarily. How did you handle it and make sure that the task was still carried out in the best manner possible.   Answer Question

Project Administrator Interview

Project Administrator

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details This process happened awhile ago, so not relevant to types of interviews being used in today's job market. I was very well qualified for this position. I contacted an internal recruiter via LinkedIn. Sent my resume. Had a hour prequalifying interview. The interviews with the hiring managers occurred the next week..

Interview Question – One of the hiring managers remarked that I looked very young for the amount of experience I had.   Answer Question

Financial Processing Associate Interview

Financial Processing Associate

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details I received an e-mail regarding the position. I responded and a day later I received a phone interview. It lasted about 30 mins. We talked about my past job experiences and she asked me questions in the STAR format. Afterwards, we setup a face-to-face meeting at the headquarters. The interview process was basically the same in the phone interview. There were a lot of STAR formatted questions. So be prepared for that aspect of the interview.

Interview Question – What are your goals in life?   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details They will schedule a phone interview first. They will ask you "what is a bond,eft, mutual fund?" "What are vanguard values?" "What makes vanguard different?" "How do you build rapport with clients" "what's going on in the financial news today?" "How do you keep up with the financial news/ what kind of financial literacy do you read?". If you do good, then they will call you in for an in person interview. There is 2 parts and it will last 4 hours. 1 part is the behavioral questions part. BEWARE. Vanguard likes the STAR FORMAT. Make sure you plan out what you are going to say. Next part is the mock phone call. They will give you a scenario can leave out of the room for 15 minutes. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHOW EMPATHY. They want to know that you can be diplomatic to an upset client or even a happy client. Normally it takes about 1 wk until they let you know if they want to hire you or not.

Interview Question – How do you build rapport with a client.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. It pays $40,000 for the client relationship specialist position.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Client Relations Associate
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2013.

Interview Details The interview process is really just to determine how well you can drink the Vanguard kool-aid. You have the standard star behavioral questions, a case study, etc. The day is usually structured as a lengthy introduction to the company, which can be really boring for a corporate orientation.

Interview Question – Who are you?   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details Brief phone interview where they asked why vanguard?, what's an ETF?, difference between stock and bond, recent financial news you read about, etc.

FOUR (!) hour in person interview which could have easily been cut in half. First and last hour are just them talking to you about the company/benefits. Middle two hours are role play and behavioral questions, but those both go by fast so you're sitting there waiting around a ton. Towards the end, they had us sitting in a room wasting our time watching a 6 minute video about their crappy on-campus gym. WHO CARES?!

I didn't get the job because of course they threw some curveball question at me that I didn't have a scripted answer for (Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?)

Honestly thankful I didn't receive an offer because I wasn't impressed by the cult-like culture and it just seems like one giant call center. If you decide to work here, I would get your licenses and move on ASAP.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?   Answer Question

C2C Intern Interview

C2C Intern
Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in September 2013.

Interview Details This was a multistep interview process. The first interview was at a job fair on campus--quick 5 minutes. Once they looked over your resume and thought you were a good candidate they would give you a time to sign up for an in person interview on campus. Then I had my in person interview--all STAR/behavioral questions. Then the last interview was a long site tour. It was from 7:45 AM - 3:00 PM where you had breakfast and lunch with employees, two back to back interviews (STAR questions again), and group assignment/activity.

Interview Question – It wasn't a question, (all questions were pretty simple in STAR form), the hardest part was the group activity. While working on a logic problem as a team you were being evaluated.   Answer Question

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!