Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 28 Oct 2014
Updated 28 Oct 2014

Faculty Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard in June 2013.

Short Interview with Director and Dean including a short Demo class. Not an elaborate hiring process as its a new startup college and also considering my background and experience. Joining was immediate.

Financial Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard has an extensive hiring process internal and external, they follow the behavioral style format. Normal you will have a phone interview first. Then a few panel inteviews. much preperation is needed for a vanguard interview.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time you had to do something that was not part of your job?   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard.

I met one of the recruiters at a career fair on campus and handed her my resume. After I emailed her and thanked her for speaking with me during the career fair, I received an email from HR scheduling a phone interview. I was scheduled for a 30min behavioral phone interview. This was the first time that I've done an interview over the phone.

They started the interview a few minutes late because they had trouble finding my resume online. The entire process was extremely awkward and the interviewer seemed cold. I know that they have to record my answers for each question, but the process seemed too mechanical. They would ask me a question like "What is your best quality?" and I would respond and also provide an example of me demonstrating this quality, but right after I answered this question I was asked "Describe a time when you demonstrated this quality." It didn't seem like they were interested in listening to my answers at the moment or having a conversation, they just wanted to record answers.

I was really nervous during the whole interview process and the recruiter didn't help much with her constant silence.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a disagreement with a boss or professor? How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through university. Was scheduled a one on one interview on campus which was behavioral based. Asked specifically what an ETF, Bond, Stock, and Mutual Fund are.

Was called back within a week to schedule an onsite interview. The second interview consisted of a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy, they just want to know that the customer is your first priority. The role play was a mock phone call with a customer who did not know what to do with her investments, and you had to guide her in a direction based on her concerns.

Interview Questions
    • what type of investment should a person make based on risk   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Had an initial phone interview with an HR representative. Discussed my skills and interests as well as job tasks. I was expecting a more technical and less sales oriented role.

Vangaurd Associate Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

I applied online and was contacted about a week later asking to set up an interview time. Set up an interview a couple days later with someone from HR. The interview lasted a little over an hour and was mainly behavioral and background questions. Not the hardest questions but they graded the answers harshly.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume
      Where do you see yourself in five years
      What are your 3 biggest weaknesses
      Tell me about a time that you failed
        Answer Question

Accelerated Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vanguard.

Campus recruitment, next day preliminary interview. Notified one week later of selection for final interview. Specifics of the program were vague, even when I asked in the interview. Vanguard is big on the STAR format, behavioral analysis, and leadership potential. I was told my extracurriculars were what impressed them most.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to motivate someone to do something they did not want to do.   View Answer

Brokerage Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

STAR based questions after initial computer based testing, and phone interview. There were two people, one supervisor and one manager. They asked questions and took notes, and it was very dry and clinical, not warm at all.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were helping a client, and didn't have the answer - how would you handle that?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Very thorough process study all glassdoor questions and for roleplay make sure you show EMPATHY, they will give you a scenario where the client is pregnant or has a loss in the family and they expect you to address it

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to build a relationship with a client?   Answer Question

IT Interview

First Round was phone interview. Then second round was a 2 1:1 interviews. Ending off with a group excercise. The interview was mostly based on behavioral question.

My advice would be to research STAR based questions.

No negotiation