W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated 17 Sep 2014
Updated 17 Sep 2014

2.9

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in September 2014.

I was first contacted by a recruiter via email. From there we set up a time to discuss the position. A couple of days later I had a phone interview with the same recruiter. About 3 weeks later I had a formal interview with the regional sales manager and the operations manager since it was a new territory.

Interview Questions
    • How I would address a customer that is reluctant to give the company a chance.   Answer Question
    No negotiating, it was straight forward.

Index Editor Interview

You have to interview with 3 different people. Each of them spend a half hour questioning you and then the last one walks you out with the we will call if we have any additional questions. Very formal and stuffy. While they are entirely non-threatening as well as informative they have lost the ability to do anything but scowl.

Go in already knowing what the base rates are and negotiate from there. They actually started low with me until I talked about the industry norms.

Manager of Territory Sales Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Contacted by recruiter. Face to face interview, skype type interview followed with different manager, meeting with both managers on a third occasion. Position offered to a last minute internal candidate. Contacted on a Saturday by a recruiter to meet with a manager for another position on Tuesday. Hiring manager had no idea why he was talking to me. There was no position available. Seems like a great company to work for but very poor follow up.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS (US)

interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2014.

The first step in the hiring process is a phone interview. At the end, I was asked to move on to the next step and fill out a personality assessment. I'm currently waiting to hear if I've moved on to the subsequent step or not.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you were faced with a problem and had to come up with a solution.   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Very thorough, many layers, professional, once an offer was made it went quick, training for 2 weeks non-consecutive, very detailed, typicial sales type-drink the cool ade, once done you are out in the field figuring it out

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the unusual, standard interview questions   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Decent interview, easy and open interview. People were polite and asked basic questions on functional aspects. The fit was there and they made an offer within a few weeks. I felt the interviewers predecide who they want to come into the company.

Government Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Received invite from Recruiter, phone interview went well. Then met with District Managers and Account Managers-thought they went very well.Watch out for this Company they conduct many EEOC interviews. Heard thru a mutual friend of one of the DSMs that mine was just that.. Thanks will never get that 4 hrs back..

Territory Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lincolnshire, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2014.

Took a phone interview, pretty basic and straight forward. Then the in-person interview with HR manager and TSR manager. Didn't get offered the position because they were looking for one position.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Clearwater, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2014.

Got a call from a recruiter (at least that's what I assume she was) to meet at a local Starbucks for an interview. A few days later, I was asked to take the online Challey test. Within a week or so, I went into the local branch for an in person interview with a two panel team. Another week went by and I was asked to interview in person again with different people Final outcome-- no job offer. I've got many years of outside sales experience specifically with the types of clients this position would be working with. The only thing that I can see as a downfall is that I'm not just out of college or under 25. When checking over current employees in this position, you can very clearly see that they are all very young. Do they want someone to mold or influence? Why such a obvious skew toward youth? Seems as though they took me pretty far into the interview process to not seriously consider me. Total time was 4 weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions
    • No problems at all. In fact, they knew that I knew the STAR technique so well they didn't have me even try to sell them something.   Answer Question

Process Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Behavioral questions. Initial contact is by phone. Positions seemed to be filled prior to my interview with internal candidates. Seemed as though the interviewer was looking for reasons to discount my application. the recruiter did not seem knowledgeable about the position.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about various software packaged and process that would only be known by someone in the current position.   Answer Question

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!