Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

Director
Laurel, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission in September 2013.

Interview Details Was invited for interview within two weeks of application. Within one week of first interview, was invited for second interview as a finalist for position. The interview process and all communications were extremely professional, as were the interview panelists. Time allotment for the interviews was communicated upfront. Questions were directly relevant to the position. Consistent questions for all interviewees; panel took notes.

Interview Question – Did you exceed self-expectations in your current position? An unexpected question, but a good one.   Answer Question

Senior IT Security Analyst Interview

Senior IT Security Analyst
Laurel, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission in October 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume on company web site. Got a very polite negative response email within 48 hours. This clear, timely feedback was very refreshing.

I have worked here on contract and found the employees to be competent and friendly. Management generally has clear and well articulated goals and procedures.

Interview Question – I did not get an interview.   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.

Interview Details Other writers reflect my experience; hiring at WSSC is exceptionally slow, think MONTHS not days. And lots of silence. If you are interested in a job soon, skip WSSC.
Further, my sense is that WSSC may have been threatened with legal action at some point regarding their hiring as the process is EXCEPTIONALLY methodical, documented, observed, and detailed.
I was interviewed by four technical specialists with an HR observer in the room. They had a list of 15 technical questions in my engineering field, and wouldn't give any context beyond repeating the question. Each of the panelists wrote down impressions regarding my answers to every question. It wasn't a conversation, it was more like a test. Followed with five 'personality' questions, like "tell me about a time when you faced a tough challenge, etc." nothing out of bounds.

Interview Question – One question included an two-letter abbreviation that could have had multiple meanings and the interviewer couldn't clarify.   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.

Interview Details Three interviews following 4 month initial application submission.

Several cancellations on part of employer due to last minute emergencies - not unusual for "government-sector" platform environment.

Company website is best-face marketing - as it should be - but not reflective of operations. Interview stakeholders, Read news articles, press and other reviews for balanced indicators.

Interview Question – What is the worse job experience and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great.

Very Easy Interview

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Laurel, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission in May 2012.

Interview Details I applied for a regular FT job and an internship. I was contacted for an interview for the internship position. I sat with the HR manager who interviewed me and asked me very basic questions. After I left, I was contacted about an hour later and offered the job. I was asked to come back that day to sign my offer letters. I didn't receive the salary I expected but it was a summer internship so it was only for a moment.

Interview Question – All of the questions were typical.
What do you expect to get out of the internship?
Why do you want this internship?
Tell me about yourself.
  Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission in December 2010.

Interview Details The hiring process is cumbersome, expensive for the applicant, and counterproductive for the company. The interviewers ask standard questions and are not forthcoming about engaging the applicant in dialog.

Interview Questions

• To write a WBS for a multimillion dollar project in 30 minutes.   View Answer
  • Facilitate a meeting with argumentative people in 20 minutes.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission in March 2011.

Interview Details The interview process for one of the summer internships at WSSC was fairly painless. After sending in your online application (which is very short and simple), HR contacts you about scheduling an interview. If you are selected for an interview, you tell them what time you are available. All interviews for all of their internships are scheduled on a single day, but you can probably discuss it and reschedule if you can't make it on that day. When you arrive, you're directed to the interview room, and you sign in with HR. Then you wait with the other interviewees, until HR calls you to your interview. You get interviewed in the same large room that all other interviewees get interviewed in, so it can be a bit loud and distracting. That said, the questions they ask you are very typical (Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to join WSSC? What will you bring to the company?). The interviewers are very friendly and uncritical; they're expecting unpracticed students. After your interview, WSSC contacts you within about a month about the decision.

I thought the whole process was fairly simple and very professional.

Interview Question – What will you bring to our office?   View Answer

Worked for Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission? Contribute to the Community!