Whole Foods Market

Getting the Interview

30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2012.

Interview Details I had to go back several times to get an interview. I was very persistent. They usually hire from within the company. They asked the usual questions. Why do you want to work at Whole Foods. What do you know about Whole Foods? Have you ever worked in a grocery store?

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had an irate customer and how you dealt with the situation?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details Interview was very brief, not realistic of job conditions or scheduling.

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions, interview was about 5 minutes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No was paid low & stayed that way for a year.

Prepared Foods Team Member

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details Getting this job was fairly easy. Many people went out of their way to contact the team leaders before the interview, which from what I've heard helped, but I did not do that. I had previous experience working in food, so they just called me up and went through a very relaxed interview and hired me immediately.

Interview Question – There was nothing too difficult, all very typical interview questions: greatest strength and weakness, one problem you solved and how, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very short. They asked what I wanted to get paid, and they agreed.

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in January 2014.

Interview Details Very relaxed atmosphere but professional. Very nice and real person doing the interview.
He was team leader for prepared foods.

Interview Question – Which of our core values is most important to you ?   View Answer

West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details Had several different interviews. Met first with Team Leaders with the Department. Then the Store Assistant Team Leader. Then the Store Team Leader. After those 3 interviews, I was finally offered the job. However, you must then consent to the background check. When that comes back ok, then you are finally called in for your orientation process. The whole process took several weeks. (about 3 weeks from first interview to orientation).

Interview Question – They asked if I knew what the company stood for. Kind of threw me off guard for a second. I knew that they sold natural and organic foods and promoted healthy lifestyles, but I didn't know the "why" behind it. He (the interviewer) then told me the company motto. My advice is to just do as much research beforehand as you can! I did some research, and I think that is why I was successful.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Make sure you do your research on the company and what they stand for.

Brentwood, MO (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in November 2013.

Interview Details Applied online for the Brentwood (Galleria), Missouri location, I was called in for interview 1 month later. The interview went great. I was asked several culinary skills questions and answered them all correct. I wasn't nervous at all, which made it easy to smile and make eye contact the entire time.The interviewer noted that I answered these questions better than most any other candidate and was really impressed. He even complimented me on my knowledge and experience.He asked me to hang around for the 2nd interview, but the ATL was too busy and I was to receive a call later in the week.

The call didn't come so I called them. This seemed to upset the manager that I called to follow up, but said the reason they didnt call me was because their computer system was down. They denied me the job. It was a very wierd situation.

Interview Question – Name the knife cuts and their dimensions, how to make a chicken stock, basic things.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details Be prepared for panel interviews even for entry level positions. Usually response time is quick.

Interview Question – What was the worst thing you have ever done professionally at any job?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in January 2012.

Interview Details Had and over the phone pre-interview. After that got a call back to come in for an interview. Met with the Assistant Team Leader and after a few questions about experience and availability, met with Assistant Store Team Leader. Lasted about one hour. Was told that Team Leader would get back to me within the week as they had a few more interviews to conduct.

Interview Question – What would you do if you encountered a difficult customer that could not be pleased no matter what you did?   View Answer

Prepared Foods Team Member

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details The hiring took FOREVER. First you have to get past the computer selection process -- which when I put "Native American" instead of "White", I got a call right away. (I am part NA). Before that, I'd tried to get a job there for months and months and months.......(and I'm college educated and have worked since I was 15 -- I just wanted to go into a new field and believe me, it was HARD to break in to!)

Interview Question – Nothing was that difficult once I got an interview. I do remember being asked what I would say to a customer that was upset because they'd driven all the way to out store only to find that we didn't have in stock what they were looking for -- they also ask you to talk about what you like to cook or like to eat....it is a grocery store, afterall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiations. They offer you a position and then you get an email with the salary. It is what it is.

Prepared Foods Team Member

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2013.

Interview Details I filled out the application on their website which was relatively easy, after a month or so of applying to various stores I got a call for an interview. The interview was with the team leader of the department, lasted about 15 minutes and involved basic questions and making a good first impression. It is not common for interviews to be this easy at Whole Foods, sometimes there are various interviews with leadership before a job offer is made. For higher up positions promotion from within is highly favored and a group interview process is required.

Interview Question – I was asked about the temperature "safe zones" for food, and about a time when I disappointed a customer and what I did to make the situation better.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Everyone generally starts at $10 for starting positions. It is Whole Foods company policy in general not to drug test unless driving is required for the job, however this is a drug free work place and an extensive 7year background check will be completed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Whole Foods Market

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!

Whole Foods Market Videos

Whole Foods Market – Why Work for Us?

​​Our Motto Our motto — Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet — emphasizes that our vision reaches beyond food retailing. In fact, our deepest purpose as an organization is helping support the health, well-being, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whole Foods Market Prepared Foods Team Member interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Whole Foods Market employees and interview candidates.