Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Updated 26 Feb 2015

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Staff Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

Interview

After submitting a few applications to different programs, I heard back from one requesting an interview. It was a phone interview-- lasted for about half an hour. Nothing unexpected, basic questions about my resume and my interest in the particular work of the program. Took about a week to hear back.

Interview Questions

• My work experience was a bit unrelated to the program I was applying before (even though I extracurricular-ly demonstrated interest) and they were pretty direct about wanting to know why I was interested in that particular position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Washington, DC (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

The online application process was easy and I wasn't forced to fill out an online form that takes 45 mins to fill out. Within a week of applying I had a phone interview. About 2 weeks later I had an in person interview. The interviewer was extremely flexible with my schedule.

Interview Questions

• The basics of "So tell me about yourself?" "What is your biggest strength?" "What is your weakness?" Then more technical questions about my skills and experience in past jobs. The interviewers were all extremely polite and welcoming. There weren't any trick questions.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

Interview

Referred by my Prof. got an onsite interview with a recruiter. Interview questions focused on research skills. Also a good candidate's background should be a good match to the scholar he or she would be assigned to.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nice place with scholars from around the world. Several events for interns. But intern's job functions highly depend on assisted scholar. It can be a good fit for Econ and poli-sci majors.

Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

Interview

After my initial online application, I was contacted for a phone interview with two of the program administrators. The interviewers were friendly and we actually had an engaging and pleasant conversation. Their questions were relatively simple. Most were about elaborating on experiences on my resume, how they've prepared me for this position, why I wanted to work for the Wilson Center, etc.

Interview Questions

• There were no real unexpected questions. There were a couple of minor behavioral questions, such as "How do you handle projects with tight deadlines?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

This is an unpaid position. While it has provided me with some leverage on my resume, I did not learn many valuable skills that compensated for living in this expensive city with no income. However, it opened my eyes to the world of think tanks, and all of the possibilities in Washington, D.C.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

Interview

application-interview-offer

Interview Questions

• Remember to do the research first. Focus on the program bulletin or online projects. At least attend one of their events first.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Interview

Phone interview, then in-person interview with Program Director and Program Associate. This was a federal position, so it took months to be contacted initially.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I came in at the highest GS level for the position. I negotiated a start date.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Washington, DC (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

Multiple phone call conversations, recommendations, cover letter and resume
    wanted to see prior experience in the field