YMCA

Updated 27 Oct 2014

2.5

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Member Service Representative Interview

Called in for a interview, sat down and met with hiring managers. It lasted about an hour and mainly concentrated on my experience with customer service, computer use, and values to see if they were consistent with those of the YMCA. They were mainly concerned with my availability and if I could work alone, as most shifts were just for one person. They also wanted to know my commitment to the YMCA and how dedicated I was to their values. I was only interviewed by one person.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to describe a conflict I had to solve.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Member Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

Pretty basic. You need to know about the company, be ready to talk about why you want to work there and what you can contribute. Know their environment. Be ready to speak about your past experience and your resume and what is on it. Be an outgoing individual, you will be the face of the business and they need to see that you are a relatable person and someone who they would enjoy having around.

Interview Questions
    • Name a weakness or how would you handle a difficult customer   View Answer

Member Service Representative Interview

I had one interview with the membership director as well as an additional staff person. At the time it was a pretty easy and smooth process. There is new management now so it might be different. I walked in to drop off my resume and was scheduled for an interview about a month or two later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I knew what the duties entailed. At the time I didn't and was told that I should know this information whenever I apply for a job/have an interview.   Answer Question

Member Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA.

I submitted my resume through the association's website and was called in for an interview about a week later. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 staff members - one was the department director. The interview lasted about 30 minutes mostly with questions about my prior employment and why I was applying at the YMCA.

Interview Questions
    • One question/answer they seemed very interested in was if I had ever been a Y member before. I had learned to swim as a child at a Y and there was a lot of talk about that. Also, they asked if money was important to me. I found it odd at the time but possibly they were asking since they had not had staff raises in several years.   Answer Question

Member Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at YMCA.

The hiring process is all done online. Then you get called in for interviews and shadowing shifts.

Interview Questions
    • They want to see originality. Make sure you answer honestly. YMCA isn't trying to hire robots.   Answer Question

Member Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at YMCA in December 2013.

I sent in my resume, and received a call within a few days. There was a lot of snow, but hiring manager was reasonable an allowed me to reschedule interview. I came in sat in an interview with 2 people (person i spoke with and the director) and they asked quite a few questions, describe yourself in a nutshell, what do you think you can bring to the team

Interview Questions
    • If you were alone (no supervisors around), there's people calling on the phone a long line forming and a difficult customer at the front of the line what would you do?   View Answer
    No negotiation, I expected minimum wage and got significantly higher (i didn't complain)

Member Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at YMCA in August 2013.

Submitted resume to Membership Director via email and was contacted the next day. Went through a phone interview with Membership Director and then an in-person interview with the Membership Director & Healthy Living Coordinator (at the same time) the following day. Was hired the next day pending drug & background test.

Interview Questions
    • A member wants to try a class but has heard that it's hard. Assuming you have never taken the class, how would you respond to the member?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Was offered the maximum pay for the position I applied for and was asked if I was okay with that.

Member Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA in February 2013.

After completing an online application I was called in to interview with the director of Member Services. She was very ice and seemed quite pleasant. She asked me the basic interview questions, however focusing on customer service. Asked about my experience and why I would like to be apart of the YMCA team. Also made it very clear that they aimed to provide the very best customer service and experience. I was showed around a bit and was told I would hear back soon. I was then called in again to meet with one of the member services managers who was not as pleasant as the lady I'd met with before. She seemed like she didn't like her job but it paid the bills. She reiterated the focus on customer service and told me "you don't get paid a lot so you have to like what you do". This was awkward but we soon finished. I was then sent an email shortly after that meeting offering me the position and I went in to fill out paperwork and started working the following week.

Member Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA in February 2013.

Easy application. Interview very to the point. If you have former experience with the elderly or children, do mention that. When I interviewed, it was only one interview and lasted 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if put into this situation? Those type of questions, they had very random and awkward situations.   Answer Question
    They start off at a certain pay rate, couldn't talk them into more. I understood due to them being a non profit. I got my first raise within 90 days.

Member Services Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YMCA in September 2012.

Submitted cover letter and resume via snail mail and was called in for an interview about 2 weeks later. The interview was with the department head and the supervisor. We briefly reviewed my work history but it was very informal. I was honestly nervous at first but I relaxed a lot upon realizing how down to earth and nice these people were. The interview concluded with a quick tour of the facility. I was called about a week later and offered the position. Before starting I did have to come in a few times to fill out paperwork, sign an employment offer, and do a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with pressure? How would you deal with an irritated member?   View Answer