YMCA

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA in February 2013.

Interview Details After completing an online application I was called in to interview with the director of Member Services. She was very ice and seemed quite pleasant. She asked me the basic interview questions, however focusing on customer service. Asked about my experience and why I would like to be apart of the YMCA team. Also made it very clear that they aimed to provide the very best customer service and experience. I was showed around a bit and was told I would hear back soon. I was then called in again to meet with one of the member services managers who was not as pleasant as the lady I'd met with before. She seemed like she didn't like her job but it paid the bills. She reiterated the focus on customer service and told me "you don't get paid a lot so you have to like what you do". This was awkward but we soon finished. I was then sent an email shortly after that meeting offering me the position and I went in to fill out paperwork and started working the following week.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the YMCA.   View Answer

Member Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details The hiring process is all done online. Then you get called in for interviews and shadowing shifts.

Interview Question – They want to see originality. Make sure you answer honestly. YMCA isn't trying to hire robots.   Answer Question

Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at YMCA in December 2013.

Interview Details I sent in my resume, and received a call within a few days. There was a lot of snow, but hiring manager was reasonable an allowed me to reschedule interview. I came in sat in an interview with 2 people (person i spoke with and the director) and they asked quite a few questions, describe yourself in a nutshell, what do you think you can bring to the team

Interview Question – If you were alone (no supervisors around), there's people calling on the phone a long line forming and a difficult customer at the front of the line what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I expected minimum wage and got significantly higher (i didn't complain)

Member Services Representative
Webster, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at YMCA in August 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume to Membership Director via email and was contacted the next day. Went through a phone interview with Membership Director and then an in-person interview with the Membership Director & Healthy Living Coordinator (at the same time) the following day. Was hired the next day pending drug & background test.

Interview Question – A member wants to try a class but has heard that it's hard. Assuming you have never taken the class, how would you respond to the member?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Was offered the maximum pay for the position I applied for and was asked if I was okay with that.

Orlando, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at YMCA in September 2011.

Interview Details Applied in August of 2011 for a couple of positions within the YMCA, Was called for an Interviewed in September 2011 and had good reviews and was told that I would be called with the details of the interview. The hiring manager called and revealed that she did not offer me the position because a position I was more qualified was coming available and would keep in contact. We kept in contact weekly for the next several months and the position never became available. Around May 2012 I was contacted again by the same hiring manager and offered an interview at another YMCA in town, interviewed there and did not receive the job. Fast forward to January 2013, I was contacted once again by the same manager for another job that I was "very qualified for" I went to interview at the downtown office, took a tour, met the majority of the higher management team, filled out a application in person and from that moment never had another follow-up call or anything again.

Interview Question – All questions were very generic such as describe yourself, how can you help the company, what are your thoughts on wellness   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Burnsville, MN (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at YMCA in April 2011.

Interview Details Apply online and follow-up directly with the branch that you would like to work at. Make sure to include any and all experience whether it is paid employment or volunteer. Include a cover letter and let them know how the Y would benefit from having you on staff. Always make sure that you include references and contact information.

Interview Question – The interview process seemed to go very well - they really do try to make you as comfortable as possible and understand that you are nervous.   Answer Question

Member Services Representative Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in September 2012.

Interview Details Submitted cover letter and resume via snail mail and was called in for an interview about 2 weeks later. The interview was with the department head and the supervisor. We briefly reviewed my work history but it was very informal. I was honestly nervous at first but I relaxed a lot upon realizing how down to earth and nice these people were. The interview concluded with a quick tour of the facility. I was called about a week later and offered the position. Before starting I did have to come in a few times to fill out paperwork, sign an employment offer, and do a drug test.

Interview Question – How do you deal with pressure? How would you deal with an irritated member?   Answer Question

Members Service Representative Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in August 2009.

Interview Details Interview process was easy, waiting for the initial new hire paperwork, background checks, takes about 4-6 weeks before getting the official okay to start.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They have a set pay rate for this position.

Louisville, KY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in October 2009.

Interview Details A call for an interview, interview, and a call with a job offer

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation. hourly rate was as expected.

Member Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in November 2010.

Interview Details Pretty much your regular old interview process. Nothing new & exciting here. They loved that my major was in a health-related field. They had me fill out an application in the noisy lobby as parents picked up and dropped off for swim team practice. Whole process took less than 40 mins. Executive director of branch listened & took notes, while office manager asked the questions.

Interview Question – How to deal with children misbehaving when parents aren't doing anything to control the child.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A. Minimum wage and a free membership that I never got to use because I was always working.

Interviews for Top Jobs at YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA Member Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees and interview candidates.