YWCA

15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Development Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YWCA.

Interview Details I received an email response to an online submission. Setting up the interview was relatively smooth, although the person setting up the interview was not clear on who I was meeting with. The interview was fine. It seemed we would go to the next stage, but then (as sometimes happened) no one called. After almost a month, I checked in. No reply. 10 months later the position is still posted. Strange.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions - normal questions   Answer Question

Employment Counsellor Interview

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at YWCA.

Interview Details Two interviews followed promptly by a job offer. The interviews were both panel interviews with each panelist taking turns asking a predetermined series of questions. You must know the YWCA mission and be clear that you are a good fit. There was also a practical test to assess computer skills.

Interview Question – Have you ever experienced an ethical dilemma with a client?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation on salary. All employment counsellors made the same hourly wage regardless of their education or experience.

Chief Operating Officer Interview

Chief Operating Officer
Houston, TX (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YWCA in March 2010.

Interview Details I was recruited, interviewed with a panel, completed application and hired.

Negotiation Details – I was plesed witht he offer no negotiation needed.

Development Intern Interview

Interviewed at YWCA

Interview Details Friendly and welcoming, overall a great interview experience

Interview Question – Don't remember   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Lifeguard Interview

Mahwah, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YWCA in August 2013.

Interview Details Met with HR, they directed me to Labcorp facility by my house for a drug test and background check. Was given offer after I successfully completed both.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, very standard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. $10 an hour, $15 an hour for OT

Employment Specialist Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at YWCA in April 2013.

Interview Details Very impressive process. The interviewers asked several challenging questions that displayed their commitment to hire the best candidate. They freely shared their input about the organization and the job and their passion for the YWCA.

Interview Question – Describe the most difficult client you've served (with follow-up probing questions)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very reasonable and fair. In general, negotiation is limited or nil in most nonprofits

Court Advocate Interview

Evanston, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at YWCA in July 2009.

Interview Details Knowing someone at the organization is helpful. When they post a job there are often many applicants so making it easy and having someone refer you helps. If you don't know someone to refer you to staff calling also helps. They are a busy organization so making yourself easy to access is important. As far as the interview, professionalism is very much valued. At the same time have a friendly attitude and be willing to talk about yourself. Know about their work as much as possible. You will be interviewed by supervisors but sometimes the people in the room will also be your peers and co workers. They are passionate about their work and want to know that you will be just as passionate. The work atmosphere is very team oriented. Your co workers will want to know that you will have their back and will be a team player.

Interview Question – What do you do for self care?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a higher salary by providing information about the cost of living in the surrounding area.

Administration Interview

Kalamazoo, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at YWCA in April 2009.

Interview Details Very long and tedious interview and hiring process. Overall it took nearly 30 days to go through all the steps. This can hinder potential staff if they have other interested employers

Interview Question – If you have worked in or for racial equity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non existent

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
Glendale Heights, IL (US)

Interviewed at YWCA

Interview Details Postive and comfortable interview process.

Negotiation Details – They do not meet salary negotiation. Expect little pay with no raise.

Marketing and Communications Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at YWCA in November 2012.

Interview Details First step is a phone interview. Manager was friendly and respectful. Not much small talk, got right to a list of previously prepared questions.

Interview Question – Discuss your best experience working with a team of people   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for YWCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YWCA interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews are posted anonymously by YWCA employees and interview candidates.