Yahoo

Getting the Interview

23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bangalore

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2012.

Interview Details 2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

Interview Question – 2 written test is deciding factor   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no such phase

Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2010.

Interview Details The interview process was very straightforward and simple. The first step was the telephonic round. I was interviewed by 2 people over the phone. This was a test of basic technical skills.

After clearing this round, I was contacted by the recruiter who arranged for me to come down to Bangalore for 1:1 interviews.

In Bangalore, I went through 3 interview rounds from 10am to 4pm, with a break for lunch. Within a couple of days, I was contacted with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Using HTML and CSS, code up a three column layout.   Answer Question
  • Typical JavaScript questions, also basic stuff like coding up a Fibonacci Series in JS.   Answer Question

Bangalore

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2011.

Interview Details 4-5 technical interviews and one written

Interview Question – How will you design the Google like autocomplete feature on their front page   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2011.

Interview Details Attended the interview today!!!
Knew in advance that for them Experience level does not matter.
So prepared on data structure and algorithms for a week.

Initial round Phone interview(30 min) :-
Asked basic details about my work, then suddenly datastructure questions.

1) Find median from continuously changing stream of data.
2) Find 2nd maximum in array.
3) Find nth largest in Array.

-------------

Called for f2f discussion.
All 3 technical and one hiring manager rounds consisted of only data structures.

No one asked anything in Java. Though I was called as Java requirement.
Dont know why so much concentration on data structures only.

Also, I feel my skills were not matching, as they wanted someone who has worked on PHP,Perl.

Honestly, I was not expecting negative reply but I guess my 2nd technical round and skills impacted my interview.

At the end I feel that if you want to go to yahoo, then study like a fresher preparing for your first job. Experience level doesn't matter.

Interview Question – 1) Write merge function to merge 2 arrays into single array.
2) Find the length of linked list loop.
3) How to get the values of two elements from array whose sum is N.

2nd round :
1) Get nth largest/smallest from BST.
2) How will you remove duplicate paragraph from big file.
    Told hashmap, asked me to write hashcode :-(
3) Perform merge of multiple arrays. (k way merge)
    Thought for sometime, but could not tell. :-(

3rd round :
1) Middle of linked list
2) sum in binary search tree
3) Some unix questions.
4) How will u design Google maps or yahoo maps.

4th Round :
Puzzle on 25 horses.
  View Answer

Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2011.

Interview Details It took whole day to complete the process. Surprised by the kind of people and kind of technical questions asked. Probably I had over expectations. There is no focus on potential, thought process and problem sloving skills but just very syntax and JCP kind of questions. There is no intelligence in the questions so very disappointed. Lots of API related questions which no software engineer need to by heart. Looks like Yahoo standard has been going down.

Interview Question – the order of java qualifiers   Answer Question

Carlsbad, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Interview Details There are two phone interviews before the onsite interviews. I made to the second phone interview. The goal of the first interview seemed to mainly be about getting a good feel for the candidate. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and any problems that I had to overcome. The second phone interview was a technical test. He asked me technical questions, many of which I had found online from past candidates. The twist was how well you knew the subject, and not necessarily whether or not you got the correct answer. This interviewer's tactic was to continuously ask me "how can you make that solution better" after each question. He told me I got most answers correct, yet I stumbled each time he asked me to find a better solution. The stumbling, I feel, kept me from the onsite interviews.

Interview Question – How can you tell if a linked list is circular (goes on forever because it connects to a previous node)?   View Answer

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2013.

Interview Details I was asked about circular linked list, quick and merge sort algorithms. Also couple of questions on Hashing and then moved to Sets and Maps. Overall it was easy. Waiting for the interview results.

Interview Question – No questions were unexpected. Most of them on expected lines on algorithms.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter.
everything was done professionally.
i was challenged by some very smart people.

Interview Question – how to add all the numbers from 1 to N   View Answers (3)

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

Interview Details I cleared 5 rounds of interview for a job offer from Yahoo!. There are 2 telephonic and 3 1:1 interview rounds about a span of 45mintues to 1hour. The main focus of interview are on your mentioned skill set and analytical skills. Be strong and confident on basics.

Interview Questions

• How do you sort an array that consists of only zeros and ones in only one pass
    Design a chat server
    Reversed linked list
      Answer Question
  • What is a virtual function, virtual class, pure virtual function?   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

Interview Details Interviewed for backend position.
Phone screening was mostly revolved around servers scalability issues and connection stacking.
Personal interview is mainly based on my previous projects and technologies.
Whole experience was smooth

Interview Question – How to deal with the scenario of connection stacking and number of open connections in a mail server?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.