Yahoo

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bangalore

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2012.

Interview Details 2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

Interview Question – 2 written test is deciding factor   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no such phase

Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2010.

Interview Details The interview process was very straightforward and simple. The first step was the telephonic round. I was interviewed by 2 people over the phone. This was a test of basic technical skills.

After clearing this round, I was contacted by the recruiter who arranged for me to come down to Bangalore for 1:1 interviews.

In Bangalore, I went through 3 interview rounds from 10am to 4pm, with a break for lunch. Within a couple of days, I was contacted with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Using HTML and CSS, code up a three column layout.   Answer Question
  • Typical JavaScript questions, also basic stuff like coding up a Fibonacci Series in JS.   Answer Question

Bangalore

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2011.

Interview Details 4-5 technical interviews and one written

Interview Question – How will you design the Google like autocomplete feature on their front page   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2011.

Interview Details Attended the interview today!!!
Knew in advance that for them Experience level does not matter.
So prepared on data structure and algorithms for a week.

Initial round Phone interview(30 min) :-
Asked basic details about my work, then suddenly datastructure questions.

1) Find median from continuously changing stream of data.
2) Find 2nd maximum in array.
3) Find nth largest in Array.

-------------

Called for f2f discussion.
All 3 technical and one hiring manager rounds consisted of only data structures.

No one asked anything in Java. Though I was called as Java requirement.
Dont know why so much concentration on data structures only.

Also, I feel my skills were not matching, as they wanted someone who has worked on PHP,Perl.

Honestly, I was not expecting negative reply but I guess my 2nd technical round and skills impacted my interview.

At the end I feel that if you want to go to yahoo, then study like a fresher preparing for your first job. Experience level doesn't matter.

Interview Question – 1) Write merge function to merge 2 arrays into single array.
2) Find the length of linked list loop.
3) How to get the values of two elements from array whose sum is N.

2nd round :
1) Get nth largest/smallest from BST.
2) How will you remove duplicate paragraph from big file.
    Told hashmap, asked me to write hashcode :-(
3) Perform merge of multiple arrays. (k way merge)
    Thought for sometime, but could not tell. :-(

3rd round :
1) Middle of linked list
2) sum in binary search tree
3) Some unix questions.
4) How will u design Google maps or yahoo maps.

4th Round :
Puzzle on 25 horses.
  View Answer

Bangalore

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2011.

Interview Details It took whole day to complete the process. Surprised by the kind of people and kind of technical questions asked. Probably I had over expectations. There is no focus on potential, thought process and problem sloving skills but just very syntax and JCP kind of questions. There is no intelligence in the questions so very disappointed. Lots of API related questions which no software engineer need to by heart. Looks like Yahoo standard has been going down.

Interview Question – the order of java qualifiers   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview Details First time through was quite a cursory interview. I had come from Microsoft, where I interviewed in the late nineties. During that time, Microsoft interviews were infamous for difficulty (now they would be akin to Google interviews). My Yahoo interview, by contrast, was cushy. When I came back to Yahoo a second time, I didn't even formally interview. We just set up the HR appointment and went through the motions. That explains how Yahoo has bloated in the way that it has.

Interview Question – Design a crossword puzzle generation algorithm   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Short and amicable

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details I was referred to Yahoo! by a friend after which the hiring manager reached out to me with regards to an opening in a team which sounded really interesting. Instead of the usual telephone chat, I decided to walk into Yahoo HQ. We had an hour long conversation/interview where we primarily spoke about issues one would face writing software on linux platforms - OOM killer, cgroups, /proc. I felt this to be one of the best conversations.

After this, I was called onsite. For Yahoo!, this moved pretty quick. The hiring manager made a very sincere effort to hasten the onsite process. I met 3 people for my onsite.

++ Onsite 1 ++
In a client/server scenario, serialize/de-serialize a balanced binary tree which is to be sent from the client to the server.
Linux system programming fundamentals including /proc filesystem, OOM killer

++ Onsite 2 ++
Linux system fundamentals - more /proc filesystem based questions
Structure of a binary (assuming ELF) on Linux.
Programmatically print the offset of a member inside a variable of struct type.
Virtual Memory fundamentals

++ Onsite 3 ++
Given a binary min heap, insert a new member.

Interview Question – Given a binary min heap, insert a new member.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It wasn't a written offer. Yahoo! moves very slowly to send out a written offer after an onsite interview. This has come about after the introduction of a Googlesque hiring committee. For the hiring manager to get back to me after running the decision through the hiring committee would have taken anywhere between 2-4 weeks. I already had 2 other offers and had to make a choice. If it wasn't for this delay, I would have most certainly accepted Yahoo's offer.

Very Easy Interview

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and was contacted via email to arrange a phone interview a few days later. The interview consistent for frequent communication problems, but not because of the phone. In fact, the interviewer spoke poor English and was very difficult to understand. When I mentioned I was having trouble understand him, he would just repeat himself, which usually ended up being very broken English or total gibberish. After attempting to field a single technical question, I decided this was not a manager I could communicate with and ended the interview. Also note, I was only informed of the need for a computer after the interview had started -- we never got to the coding as I ended the interview early.

Interview Question – The most difficult part was understanding what the interviewer was saying.   Answer Question

Carlsbad, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Interview Details There are two phone interviews before the onsite interviews. I made to the second phone interview. The goal of the first interview seemed to mainly be about getting a good feel for the candidate. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and any problems that I had to overcome. The second phone interview was a technical test. He asked me technical questions, many of which I had found online from past candidates. The twist was how well you knew the subject, and not necessarily whether or not you got the correct answer. This interviewer's tactic was to continuously ask me "how can you make that solution better" after each question. He told me I got most answers correct, yet I stumbled each time he asked me to find a better solution. The stumbling, I feel, kept me from the onsite interviews.

Interview Question – How can you tell if a linked list is circular (goes on forever because it connects to a previous node)?   View Answer

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2013.

Interview Details I was asked about circular linked list, quick and merge sort algorithms. Also couple of questions on Hashing and then moved to Sets and Maps. Overall it was easy. Waiting for the interview results.

Interview Question – No questions were unexpected. Most of them on expected lines on algorithms.   Answer Question

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!