Yelp

Updated 21 Jan 2015
Updated 21 Jan 2015

302 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview was 20 minutes. I was first asked about my personal interests, why a wanted to be in sales and why I wanted to work for Yelp. Then I had to leave a fake voice mail for a prospective business owner who had missed a meeting/call we had scheduled.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

1st Round-phone interview, basic questions about your background and why you are interested in working for the company.
    2nd Round-In-person interview with 3 different people at the company all asking different questions. The goal was to see if I could cold sell several different items in the room as well as convince someone to make a different decision than what they originally planned on making.

Interview Questions
    • Strangest question was, If there was someone who didn't want to work here, how would you convince them to take the job?   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Attended career fair where recruiters seemed very interested. Next was a short online "quiz" basically to see if you are competent. Next was a phone interview. The woman who interviewed me was EXTREMELY rude. it was a very unpleasant experience and made me not want to work for the company.

Interview Questions
    • Leave a voicemail for a potential customer who has canceled on you three times   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

The phone interview was pretty straight forward at first. I was asked about my background and my interest in a high volume cold-calling position. I was asked to pretend to leave a voicemail for a business to get them on board with yelp. After receiving feedback, I was asked to do it again.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was asking to leave a business a voicemail, as described above.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and had two rounds of interviews. The first round took place over the phone and was a simple connect and roleplay scenario. After that I passed onto the second round which was conducted over Skype. They were quick and courteous with communicating with me over the phone and email. Overall just some basic background questions, being able to roleplay and do the job they asked, it all played out pretty easily and if you have had a job in sales or another client-facing job then it shouldn't be too difficult to get through each interview round.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, all a matter of asking questions to responses. Just implement the feedback they provide during the roleplays and you should be golden if done the right way.   Answer Question

Received job offer from a company I had more interest in.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied Online. Received an email a week later saying that I had been chosen for an interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. The interviewer was nice and professional. Make sure you do your homework about Yelp beforehand (they are looking for someone who already understands the business model). In my case they focussed on identifying my skills not examining my resume. Speak clearly and close. Accepted second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Role Play- How to get someone to talk to you that has been ignoring your phone calls.   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

It seemed like less of an interview process and more like a screening process. It feels as though they just want to make sure youre interested and not totally stupid. Most people get offered jobs and the "interview" process is fairly easy. They are very transparent about what to expect, which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions

I am still considering other options

Account Executive Interview

A few standard phone interviews, followed by a in person interview that involved a good amount of role playing. They want to see you make adjustments based upon their feedback.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview with three different people. Each time you must perform a make believe sales pitch regarding a product of your choice, yelp itslelf. Different behavioral and basic interview questions.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

The first part consisted of a 15-20 minute phone interview which mostly consisted of questions on why I wanted to work at Yelp followed by a role play in which I had to leave a voicemail for a business owner who had skipped out on a meeting over the phone. I didn't do so well, since I had prepared exclusively for more back-and-forth scenarios. Regardless, they forwarded me to the next part of the process, which as everyone else mentions on here consists of three interviews with separate sales managers.

For my on-site interview, only 2 sales managers were present, so I had to do a phone interview with the third manager a week later. They passed this off as a normal part of the interview process. The phone interview seemed to go well, for the most part. The person interviewing me called 3 hours late due to an error in his schedule and seemed to be short on time, so we skipped role-playing scenarios. The interviewer seemed to like me and said he'd recommend me for the position. He makes the rest of the process seem like a formality and tells me that there will be no more interviews.

I then get an email from them saying I have to do a webinar to discuss wages and day-to-day activities at the company. At this point, I think I've gotten the job. I do the webinar and I get the impression that this is some covert way of continuing to evaluate us, even as people as questions about attire in the workplace and things of that nature.

The next day, I get an unexpected call from someone on their recruiting team as I'm having lunch at a bar. It was an awkward time to take a call, but I figured it couldn't hurt and I didn't want to make it seem like I was avoiding them or anything.

This call felt A LOT like an interview. As I was sitting on a barstool, surrounded by people talking and watching my beer get warm and my food get cold, I'm still being asked questions like "Why Yelp?", "Why sales?" which I've already had to answer for 4 people already. I'm sure I came off as somewhat awkward, for obvious reasons, but I convinced myself it was a follow-up call and nothing more.

Well, the next day, I get another call from the same person and she says they're going with other candidates. After I'd been led on to believe I had gotten the job. After a month-long interview process. After I had begun making plans to move to SF.

So, while the interviews themselves were okay and easier than expected, the process itself was difficult and vague. They pride themselves on transparency, but my interview process was anything but.

Interview Questions
    • A prospective client backs out of an agreement and says he wants to go with Google AdWords instead. Convince him to change his mind.   View Answer