Yelp

Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in February 2015.

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Account Executive Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in February 2015.

Two phone interviews and then a rejection. I became skeptical when they asked me to do a second phone interview. Most people on here got to an in-person interview after their first phone interview. I guess they were unsure about me. The only good thing is that Yelp is very fast. I applied through an employee referral and they contacted me for a phone interview 3 days later. This is the second time they rejected me (I applied last year too), so I don't recommend applying again if you've already been rejected once. I thought this time would be different because I was coming in with a referral and I didn't have that last year.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you found yourself competitive.   View Answer

Account Executive Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp in February 2015.

Got a call which was great very inviting and exciting
    Then had my first interview with a female was very inviting and informative about the roll and position , did two role plays went well .
     Second part of interview was some level of disrespectful
    he kept looking at his phone mentioning his bday weekend was coming and how he misplaced his ID in a local bar over the week , which didn't bother me at first but when i noticed nothing i was saying he was paying attention to and was starting got rush me throw the process. I understand this is a aggressive sales role but this was a interview for us to build some type of confidence in each other .
    I really was open and excited to this opportunity but the rude way of the 2nd interviewer let me know that yelp is not where i would feel comfort as new career choice. There not diverse and he rushed me out the door and didn't respond to my BYE lol . Im not sensitive but this is a Job and business and the 2nd interviewer had no tact of professionalism.

Interview Questions
    • Prior and current experience , Do you feel comfort making 80-100 calls a day ?   View Answer

Ad Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp in February 2015.

Met one on one with two different people. They had the applicants role play how they would handle a typical sales call. Make sure that you close the sale when that comes up, and make sure you have a really condensed definition of "What is Yelp." The vibe of the call should be friendly, and not like you're trying to push a product on someone.

Interview Questions
    • What is something difficult you have had to do?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe Yelp to someone who had never heard of it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

I applied through my college via a recruiter. I followed up with her after an on-campus event, and she took my resume and uploaded it to their database. About a week later, I received an email regarding a phone interview.
    The interview process starts with an initial phone screening, lasting roughly 10 minutes. The phone interview is nothing crazy, just want to make sure you can hold a conversation and talk a little bit about yourself. Afterwards, I received an email to schedule a Skype Interview two weeks down the road.
    Had my Skype interview and I met with 2 sales managers. The whole interview lasted roughly 50 minutes. The first sales manager got right down to business, asking questions about my past experiences, biggest success, weakness, etc. Then we did a role play. I did poorly the first time, but she gave me feedback and asked me to do it again. I improved the second time, and she was very happy I IMPLEMENTED HER FEEDBACK. About 5 minutes later, I met with the second sales manager. She, too, was very serious and wanted to get right down to business. She asked me what feedback I had received from the previous manager, and asked me a bunch of standard questions (name a stressful time in your life, a time where you wanted to give up, etc.) Then we did another role play, which I did rather well on. All in all, take their feedback seriously and be conversational. If for the role play, you come out guns blazing pitching all the benefits of Yelp, you'll sound too much like you're selling advertising and they won't dig it.

Interview Questions
    • Schedule a phone appointment with a client
      Convince a client to use Yelp instead of other advertising

View Answer

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp in November 2014.

15 minutes phone interview. There are 3 interview questions: What do you know about Yelp; Why would you like to work for an Inside Sales job at Yelp; Why should we hire you/what makes you the best fit for the job?

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you/what makes you the best fit for the job?   Answer Question

Company's spillover effect for small business stores from friends/family.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in October 2014.

I received an email requesting to set up a phone interview. The first phone interview is short, about 15 minutes, where you will be asked general questions and do a short role play. My second interview was a Skype interview. It was about 45 minutes, with 3 separate sales managers. I had to do role plays with each of them. After that, I got an email requesting that I sign up for a webinar and apply for a background check. The webinar is about a half hour and just goes into a lot of detail about what the job is. After the webinar, I got an email setting up a third phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter called me, asked me some general questions, and offered me the job at the end of the phone call.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

I applied through a current employee's recruiting page. I first had a phone interview that went very well. The interviewer was personable, friendly, and direct. He asked me about my background, why I wanted to work at Yelp, what I thought would make me a good fit, and what my understanding of the role was. I felt very confident during this portion of the interview. The interviewer told me I was invited to come to an in-person interview on the spot.

The in-person interview was much tougher. I had three interviewers, two of which tried to get under my skin and throw me off. Two interviewers also conducted sales call role plays. They asked me to pitch them on various things, such as my own personal interests. They are definitely looking for someone who does not get phased easily and who does not give generic answers to behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of things do you like to do in your free time? Tell me why I should do one of those things.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

As other interviewers have said, you are interviewed by 3 sales managers. The first impression I had of the place was that it was extraordinarily casual. They were "running late" the day I was there and they rushed us into our respective interview rooms. The first person to interview me asked me why sales, why yelp, and where else I had interviewed/applied. I think this was my major downfall, it threw me off and I honestly wasn't sure how to answer it. We did a role play where I was trying to get a meeting with a business owner. They told me I was too passive and needed to he assertive. That's fine, I knew I could get that down. Next person asked me the exact same questions, but she seemed very uninterested in me. She was looking out the window and at the door the entire time and didn't even seem to be listening to me. Then, she left. No role play. This completely threw me off for the remainder of the interview. The last person came in and asked me the same questions, then did a role play where I had to sell him something. I was very thoroughly explaining the benefits of the product and thought I did quite well. After the interview I sent a thank you to the people who interviewed me. I received an email 3 days later saying they were going with other candidates, which in the end was a good thing for me because I don't think it was a good fit. The job is basically a telemarketing position and you're just expected to make the company money. Pay is not good for a college grad. If you love sales and working for commission, this is for you. Additionally, if you want a laid back college-like environment, this is a great place for you.

Junior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

They bring you in a room and three different interviewers come in one at a time. They do a role play as well as ask behavioral questions. The role play they want you to first try to just make an appointment with a business owner- they want you to ask questions then be assertive with setting a date and time. The second role play they want you to convince a business owner to use yelp even though they say they don't have money. Again, ask open ended questions. Third role play they ask you to sell them anything you're passionate about.