Zillow

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Zillow in May 2014.

Interview Details Referred by recruiter and given what seems like standard questions from the other posts on here. Very long turn around and getting final decision.

1. String to long conversion
2. Trinary (trenary) tree insert and delete

I spent about 3-4 hours getting problems coded up, documented, and tested. Solid rejection with no explanation other than my code wasn't good enough. Let's set things straight, I have 10+ years of experience, my code was well documented and had full java doc comments. I had accompanying unit tests to verify functionality and even made the trenary tree problem with generics. The only thing that could have possibly been done better is making the tree auto balancing, but given that most at home coding challenges are 30-60 minutes I felt like I already expanded enough effort.

Whoever is reviewing the coding solutions has an UNUSUALLY UNREALISTIC BAR.

Interview Questions

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Zillow in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and got a call form a technical recruiter. I was then given a coding exercise to complete at home and send. The questions were pretty simple as mentioned in some other person here - string to long, insert & delete in trinary tree. I completed the exercise along with JUnit test cases covering all possible scenarios I could think of and returned it early morning the next day. After a day I received an email saying they would not be moving forward with me. When I asked for feedback I was told it was based on my coding exercise. I am surprised with this since my code was working and did what the requirements asked, was well tested and documented(in my opinion). The only conclusion I can draw is, they were doing some sort of lottery to pick candidates for the next round of interviews ;-)

Interview Question – string to long, insert & delete in a trinary tree   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Zillow in April 2014.

Interview Details The first call with a recruiter was followed immediately by their standard take-home coding exercises: insert/delete from a ternary tree (which they call a tri-nary tree) and converting a string into a long. Straightforward questions. I decided to include not only a solution but also unit tests, and in such a way that I would expect to pass a code review for check-in. This isn't my first dev job. While the code functioned, and as far as I know was production-quality, I received an email about one day after I submitted the response that they were not going to ask me in for a screening. Disappointing, as I have no idea what they were looking for that I didn't do. I heard this complaint from other reviewers, but I assumed that they just solved the problem the fastest way -- I thought for sure having tests, comment blocks, and code structured for use in an application would impress enough for an interview.

Interview Question – Questions weren't difficult, but obviously I wasn't able to provide something they were looking for (and not asking for).   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Zillow in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied through Glassdoor, and have got the response pretty quickly got a coding challenge with two questions which were discussed earlier

-> Convert String to Long without using library functions in any programming language
-> Implement insert and delete in ternary search tree
ternary search tree - Same as binary search tree but does have one more node under the parent node with same value
example -> node 5 has 4 on the left and 6 on the right and has 5 right below it. Three nodes to each node.

the recruiter has sent me an email saying clearly :- Do it at your own time, As i had other interviews lined up for the week I have done it exactly in one week. I have got the answers right and checked every possible way and test cases. But the main reason to decline in my case i think was the time taken to submit the coding challenge. It exactly took me one day to finish the coding challenge. but i cannot explain it so the rejection.

Interview Question – Ternary search tree deletion.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details 1. Submit code exercise online

Interview Question – No difficult questions, basic algorithms and data structures.
Sum of the fibonacci number
  View Answer

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details Phone interview.
1.Ask how to figure out if an integer is out of range.
2.Common ancestor of two nodes in binary tree.,

Interview Question – Not difficult. But I am so nervous.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Zillow in March 2013.

Interview Details HR sent me 2 questions to answer at first. One phone interview was conducted to ask me several basic technical questions. Then on-site interview.

Interview Question – Basic technical questions like design a database and find a node in a BST.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in December 2012.

Interview Details I was asked to solve a problem in java and submit the code to them, then I guess they were impressed enough to schedule two phone interviews, and again I was good enough that I was invited for an on-site interview in Seattle. I lived out of town (about 3 hours away) so I had to drive in for the interview. I had 5 interviews, which seemed to progress in order of seniority. Everything went pretty well, I thought, but I never heard back from anyone. I even sent a follow-up email a week later politely asking if they needed any more information, but never heard a thing. In my opinion it's extremely unprofessional to simply ignore a candidate after they've written a code sample, done 2 phone interviews and 5 hours of on-site interviews. Not impressed with the recruiting.

Interview Question – None, mostly questions right out of popular coding interview books.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Zillow in February 2013.

Interview Details Shortly after submitting my application I received an email asking me to complete and send in a coding test. They were simple questions including converting a string into an integer, and dealing with BST insertion and deletion. After I passed this test I had a 20-minute phone interview with just a couple quick technical questions. Finally, I was called in for an in-person interview. I interviewed with 3 different software engineers, each for one hour. The interviews were mostly technical questions, which I would write up solutions to on a whiteboard. In one of my interviews, the interviewer asked me a question and as I wrote out and described my solution I could see him working on his smartphone out of the corner of my eye. Then when I looked over at him to check in 5 minutes later he was dozing off. Pretty discouraging. Other then that the interview process was very thorough and I liked the other software developers I met with, who seemed very bright, friendly and passionate about their work.

Interview Question – Find all anagrams of a given word. A array including all English words is provided.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Zillow.

Interview Details ask some technical questions, not very hard

Interview Question – Compare the node in an unsorted d- tree   Answer Question

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!