24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014
Updated 28 August 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair
Elizabeth Blair

Pros
  • With employment here you get a free gym membership (in 133 reviews)

• Hourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average (in 25 reviews)

• I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed the 10 years I worked 24 Hour Fitness because of the fun work environment and clients that I helped.

Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer  in  Hollywood, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Hollywood, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Helping people change their bodies, improve their health, and coach them to achieve their goals. I enjoyed the flexible schedule I could make for myself.

Cons

I disliked the low pay, dealing with irate members, and lack of reimbursement of continuing education. Lack of upgrades to the gym/facility itself.

Hire a full time weight re-raker to ensure that the gym is always clean and safe, versus trying to save money by making the trainers clean up the gym instead of devoting more time to their clients.

Great Opportunity

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule that works very well with college, easy job and easy money.

Cons

Not much opportunity to transfer from part time into full time.

Provide more training to Customer Service on sales tactics needed to sell memberships. I felt like the Customer Service staff did most of the selling because we initially got people interested in the facility.

I was warned, but at least i got some experience for my resume.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Compton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Compton, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free gym membership, great people to work with and other trainers switch thoughts and workouts with you. Pay is good if you make sale.

Cons

Manager is very pushy on sales, and more concerned with making the sale than helping them.If you don't make a sale your forced to get another job or waste tons of time trying to build a clientele that cant afford it to begin with.

Hire less trainers, be more detailed, better trainer and figure out a more individualized approach per trainer, everyone has their own way.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Simply amazing

Current Employee - Service Representative  in  Honolulu, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Honolulu, HI (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at the super sport location in Waikiki, the view alone was paradise, very knowledgable management, motivational atmosphere, really good benefits, room for personal growth, I can literally go on all day.

Cons

I have nothing to say in regards to cons about working here, I've been treated like family and management has done an amazing job.

Continue to educate the staff with knowledge that has been leading you guys to success.

Great Experience for New Trainers

Current Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Oakland, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

They expose you to a lot of people and set up free sessions with new members. It's up to you to sell and deliver good training, but they'll give you a lot of exposure. Great for getting your feet wet.

Cons

Starting pay is pretty low for how much they're charging your clients. It's possible to make decent money if you're super busy, but i feel most trainers would want to get paid closer to what they're worth at a certain point

pay trainers better to avoid high turnover

Fun atmosphere!

Former Employee - Personal Trainer III  in  Richardson, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer III in Richardson, TX (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, and flexible and great bonuses

Cons

They takeout too much of your chunk of the change...

Management was always helpful

Have worked here for over 20 years as a Group X Instructor; love what I do and the connection to membersl

Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love teaching and the impact I have with members. Their enthusiasm motivates me to continue teaching.

Cons

Lack of management training. I know that they intend well, but the impact does not always have the desired outcome. Communication can be challenging. Our Group X Manager is in another state and I imagine has over 300 direct reports. She tries her best to keep us informed and engaged. It would also be nice to actually meet her/talk with her, but given the scope of responsibility and geography it may never happen. In my 20 years, I've received three increases and have been reviewed twice. There is no established performance/merit program. For years, I've been telling 24HF via the employee surveys and with management that we were being paid wrong as GX Instructors. I even let them know the potential risk of a class action lawsuit due to it. No one ever followed or no action taken, until....guess what? A class action lawsuit was filed and millions had to be paid out.

Provide training for your management team. They don't know what they don't know. Provide a formal program for performance and merit. I can pretty much guarantee that a majority of the GX Instructors aren't doing this for the money, we do it because we enjoy it; would be nice to get recognized and rewarded for it.

Improve communicatioi skills. We get monthly newsletters and they mean well, but the accolades, appreciate what you do, thank you don't really seem genuine if management has never met us, seen what we do or reviewed our performance.

HR needs to be more responsive. I and many other employees have little to no follow-up. As an example, when lifeguard training was required for CA instructors, many instructors had questions to HR and GX communications. Some folks NEVER heard back, some took weeks/months to hear back about their questions. On the flip side, GX communications made it seem like scheduling a session so soon was really helpful. It may have been to a few, but to many it stressed them out. We lost some good instructors because if it. If communication was presented by validating to all the instructors that this is a new requirement that it sounds challenging to do and balancing that with what is actually required would have been best. Also, getting back to employees timely with their questions and concerns would have been very helpful. In addition, when the training was done in the gyms, some location management was not receptive to having it done in their location. Rather than being welcoming and accommodating, they made it seem like such an inconvenience. Do they not understand that this is to benefit the club and the members?

Laslty, just my observations outside of the GX world, I've seen inappropriate behavior by leadership in the gyms; including hitting on members (asking one time and getting "not interested" is okay; continuing to ask is harassment); PT's are burning sessions without members knowing to pad their paychecks. Does anyone in corporate or the supposed third-party ethics company look into these? Unfortunate situations....

management, development, sales, and service

Current Employee - Assistant FItness Manager  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant FItness Manager in Oakland, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

working in a gym environment, free membership, likes to promote within and helping clients can be very rewarding.

Cons

inconsistent pay due to commission base salary

Was good in the beginning, but its not always guaranteed to be good.

Current Employee - Master Personal Trainer  in  Whittier, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Master Personal Trainer in Whittier, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Has potential to make a good amount of money especially for a position that isn't full time. Free gym membership.

Cons

Hours are sporadic especially in the beginning. Your money isn't as secure as I would like it to be. Work weekends and early morning.

There needs to be more emphasis on personal development and advancement.

My Time at 24

Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR
    Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free gym membership, that's it.

Cons

24 HF espouses great values on their website and in their orientation videos, but the actual culture is much different and can vary greatly by gym. Management is lacking, and generally has no idea what they are doing. Promotions come from within, are political, and are based mostly on who you know. Sales is incredibly high pressure and super pushy, often leading customers to turn away. Equipment takes too long to get fixed, and it leaves customers unhappy. Horror story time.... I was physically assaulted by a member of the gym, and when I told the SM what happened, the situation was laughed off and nothing was done to find the person who had assaulted me.

Implement trainings to ensure that the people in management positions actually know how to do their jobs. Don't laugh off serious issues that should have been taken further!

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!