24 Hour Fitness

Updated 16 October 2014
3.1

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair
Elizabeth Blair

Pros
  • Hourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership (in 152 reviews)

• There is a free gym membership with the job and discounts for family and friends (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up (in 27 reviews)

• Some of the upper management didn't seem qualified to run a large corporation (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Membership Counselor

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to work in such a positive environment. The customers make you happy.

Cons

Sales. It's a good company through my experience. Not much Cons besides doing sales.

Group Exercise Instructor

Current Employee - Group X Instructor in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Group X Instructor in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely love the members and organization. Teaching is my passion, I love learning from other instructors and becoming more inspiring to the membership.

Cons

I have no negative comments about working for them.

None

Very rewarding getting to know so many great people.

Former Employee - Service Representative Lead in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Service Representative Lead in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most members were very nice and took the time to try and get to know you. Free membership to all 24's and discounted personal training. They really like to promote from with in.

Cons

Since they like to promote from with in there is a lot of turn over in management. Some managers are great and others barely hit par. Club managers have a tendency to get away with things they shouldn't be doing because they are on salary and the company can't keep track of their hours.

Take care of your employees and they will last a long time. Do your job and be an example of a great leader. If your employees see you working hard they will work hard.

A place to fine tune personal skills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the atmosphere in a gym setting, a lot of positive people to work with and to help.

Cons

It can be tough work if you're on the negative side. The name of the game is consistency; if you have it, great. if not, good luck.

Good company

Current Employee - Personal Trainer I in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer I in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are definitely the best part of the job. You basically are getting paid to hang out with your buddies, which is pretty amazing.

Cons

As a trainer the hours can really be spread out with a lot of down time. If you don't like ready or have another part time job it could be tough to stay focused.

Treat the older employees like assets and not as just a regular employee. The turnover was ridiculous and some of it was due to lack of recognition.

Club manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Great company, good pay and benefits. Very rewarding helping people get startedwith their fitness journey.

Cons

Not enough work life balance.

Great management skills are taught here; they treat employees terribly though

Former Employee - Health Club Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Health Club Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard working people work here, a genuine effort to help clients/members improve their health and lifestyle; genuine effort to improve management qualities and skill sets along with all jobs from front desk to sales to training that can apply to any industry

Cons

a lot of unnecessary drama (not a huge surprise considering the environment), employer doesn't support employees especially in a client/member issue, terrible treatment of managers, employees; pay is awful

Treat your employees better and you won't get sued so much

Working at 24 was alright, could've been better.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Changing lives was the most rewarding part of the job, some freedom, work-life balance is what you make it, open 24 hours.

Cons

High turnover rate, compensation was on the low side, received very little training early on, equipment always broken, hours could be very spread out, very corporate.

Fitness, club, and service managers could all be more involved and helpful. I had many "weekly" or "monthly" meetings put off for later dates.

An Active Environment that can use more active workers

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fontana, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fontana, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great company for personal growth and networking. If it's possible to find an awesome team, go for it. They promote quickly if you reflect your passion in the work. Great social environment. Excellent to develop teamwork skills and communication skills. Had some very life changing experiences with employers, employees and members. Really was able to build myself professionally and as a person.

Cons

Not all gyms are the same and some managers need more accountability. Some managers will only squeeze you for the money they bring. So, if you're stuck in a management team like that, try finding another gym. Transferring gyms was tough because the moment you're working with a manager that only wants you for the sales you bring in, expect to be shamed and treated like a tool, not a person. And if you find yourself in a team that's fraternizing and gossips too much, get out fast.

Sales is all about the heart and learning to be accountable. There were too many managers that are completely dismissive of their team.Too many times are there guests that come into gyms that are manipulated, but stronger sales tactics work with a team based on the integrity of actually wanting to help a client. Nobody wants to walk into a gym and have their money taken like out of greed and sport. It's completely possible to make sales with integrity and the true need to deliver great service. In the end, their experience will turn into the gym culture.

Loved this place until company went in upside down

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

memberhsip good money if your in managment

Cons

you get fired whenever they feel is right.

Follow the company guidlines:
    Sales and Service [20% of time: club specific]
    Participate and provide direct execution support in the fitness area. Dont fire someone for doing what is asked of them but stretch them so thin.