Aéropostale

Updated Dec 16, 2013

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson

Thomas P. Johnson

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

This company attracts high quality people

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthis company offers competitive pay and awesome benefits.

ConsSome disconnect between corporate partners and the field (i.e. mis communications, lack of clarity in communication, etc.)

The best 5 years of my life so far.

Assistant Merch Flow (Current Employee)
Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou move up in the company very fast. They offer opportunity to go to school and graduate. The company is involved with lots of community service and charity events. You get an amazing discount to all the latest fashion.

ConsYou could be working for years because they offer good money.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to deal with the unexpected things always pop up and never go as planned. The biggest piece of advice i can give you is when things go wrong dont make an excuse plan to fix it and get it done correctly.

My DM hated me.

Cash Wrap Specialist (Former Employee)
Langhorne, PA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

Prosit was great as an introduction to retail, a hands on environment that had a specific duty and included all members of the team in the responsibility.

Consin my second year of working there i noticed the company trying to gear itself more towards the likes of hollister and abercrombie. they started hiring solely based on looks and gave hours that way as well.

Advice to Senior Managementstop trying to fix something thats not broken people like the store bc it wasn't like other places,

Great experience and always learning and contributing

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
Willow Grove, PA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat team members
Great learning experience in retail sales and customer service
Culture is casual and everyone is happily willing to mentor

ConsLong and sometimes unexpected hours
Management ignores initial list of days you can't work
Hours of following week are cut if you cannot work a day that was scheduled for you, even if you were a student

Sales Associate

Media, PA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCo workers were friendly and passionate and hardworking

ConsCustomers were rude and made lots of messes

Aeropostale was a great first-job, but not a career building place.

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

ProsYou are encouraged to wear jeans and flip flops to work. You get decent discounts. Some of the clothes are pretty cute. There's always something happening within the company to try and promote sales in a fun way. Depending on the store manager, your pay can be pretty nice.

ConsThere is not much room for growth while working there. Unless you are 21, you are not getting promoted. Be prepared to work with high school kids who only want to get drunk and/or high. There is definitely a clique within the establishment.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not get drunk with the high school kids. Also, you may want to actually fit in the clothes that you're trying to sell to other people.

Good company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Langhorne, PA (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale

ProsJob security, company is doing well

Consno-life, worked alot of hours and nights and weekends

Advice to Senior Managementshow more respect to employees

Aeropostale Sales Associate

Newark, DE (US)

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros- the discount was very nice. we had a 30-50% discount. this discount also included items that were on sale.

Cons- one downside about working in aeropostale was that the managers were not professional.
 - if we worked a closing shift, we would also have to work late into the night-- sometimes into 3-4am.

Advice to Senior Management- as the store's jeanius, i thought it was a good way to give myself experience with my leadership skills

Challenging but rewarding

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aéropostale

ProsThe way that Aeropostale runs sales promotions, internal marketing adjustments and merchandise flow is challenging but in a good way. It really gives you the opportunity to find out what you're made of as a manager and as a team player. The time constraints and limited opportunities to be prodded into being a more effective manager really force you to examine your abilities and learn from the challenges presented.

ConsThe pros and cons are kind of the same. If you are the type of person who is unsure or just starting to get a real feel for the type of manager you are going to be, Aero adapts a sink or swim type of attitude. Training and workshops are provided but are informal and often consist of a bunch of managers gossiping and chatting the whole time. You really need to take initiative and find out how to do things on your own because you are unlikely to receive support from upper management in terms of developing your strengths.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and get organized! Even though it is beneficial to make snap decisions on sales based on product sell through, it also negatively impacts the stores as they try to scramble to get more done with less. Think things through before you put them into action. If a coupon is being sent out to increase transactions, not sales, then you should give the stores extra payroll to manage the overflow. Customers end up suffering when employees are stressed to their breaking points.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aéropostale reviews and ratings in Philadelphia, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Aéropostale employees.