Aéropostale

Aéropostale Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson

Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount (in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Ehh

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Chesterfield, MI (US)

ProsEveryone is so nice and helpful. They are also understanding about just about everything.

ConsPay- after working there for 3 years I've only received a $0.10 raise

I had a great staff and direct management team, however, as a company they expect a lot from you.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Rochester, MN (US)

ProsThey train their management staff well. Send them through courses to help them become better and grow themselves so they can grow the team. They had great employee discounts so it was easy to stay trending.

ConsThere is a lot of stress that came with it. They would always have you doing more than you can sometimes, so you'd have to pick it up the next day a long with everything else you had to do that day.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen was the last time you worked store side? I mean actually worked it... I want you to see just HOW MUCH of a work load your expect from us and still come under payroll and increase sales.

Pretty good for a first job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsNice management, decent training great discount

ConsLittle to no hours when you first start

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us some regular hours and we. Will be happier

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overall, great company

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThere is always something to do. Merchandising opportunities help train and develop the visual eye. District Managers are always ready to assistant all members of management.

Conslow payroll makes the amount of tasks burdensome. Many marketing/ promotional changes and constantly changing business strategies complicate and impede the goal of one clear business direction. Opportunities to advance past assistant and store management are very scarce.

Advice to Senior Managementwith few opportunities for promotion, management needs to be rewarded more on how hard they work and how flexible they are. would love to see more attention and care put towards personal growth

Sales Assoicate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat and fun people! Not a difficult job.

ConsYou do not get any hours. If you want $$$ don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more hours.

It's been a major learning experience.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe store teams are just that: teams. Store managers have the ability to recruit for their own store teams and our training guidelines are updated with the current trends in the retail industry. Managers have the ability to be creative with visuals and merchandising while maintaining standards set forth by the company. It gets very busy during the back-to-school and holiday seasons which means more sales and longer hours, but we are constantly told how much we are appreciated by upper management. Enjoy great discount, bonus incentives, company contests, paid vacation, and employee recognition programs.

ConsConstantly changing communications from corporate, sometimes unclear with the direction. Task load is heavy and varies with little payroll. Not much advancement once you are at Assistant and Store manager level.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more clear on company direction. Someone should proof read the communications that come through to stores.

So much work, so little time allowed!

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Ogden, UT (US)

ProsTalking with customers and training employees.

ConsNot enough time to do what was needed to succeed. Held responsible when store is slow and sales are down.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow a little more time for employees so we can get stuff done.

Pretty average work place

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsDiscounts
    Easy Work
    Fun enviornment

ConsCall in shift-were you call in an hour before your shift so you can't really plan anything.
    Few hours
    Such short shifts you don't really get to know your fellow co workers
    Black Friday

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize team members and challenge them.

Horirble

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Independence, MO (US)

Prosselling is fun, and people love the deals so it's easy and peronsble

Consthe managers are an absolute pain to work with, attitudes and unwilling to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't love your job, quit. No one should suffer for your unhappiness.

First Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI got to meet a lot of cool, amazing people that worked with me.
    For a first job it was really good pay at the time.
    Discount was cool too.
    Great introduction to the industry and retail.
    Good experience

ConsTerrible work scheduling. Shifts would get cut or extended out of no where. The store would close at 10, sometimes the employees wouldn't go home till 12-1am. This was horrible I had an hour subway ride home at 12-1am! The managers didn't care!
    The managers kept changing, and the rules kept changing, and the expectations only grew. I never got a pay increase 6 plus months I worked there !

Advice to Senior ManagementClose on time! People have lives and need to get home!

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!