Aéropostale

Aéropostale Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson

Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount(in 35 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage(in 21 reviews)

Sales Assoicate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat and fun people! Not a difficult job.

ConsYou do not get any hours. If you want $$$ don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more hours.

Pretty good for a first job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsNice management, decent training great discount

ConsLittle to no hours when you first start

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us some regular hours and we. Will be happier

overall, great company

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThere is always something to do. Merchandising opportunities help train and develop the visual eye. District Managers are always ready to assistant all members of management.

Conslow payroll makes the amount of tasks burdensome. Many marketing/ promotional changes and constantly changing business strategies complicate and impede the goal of one clear business direction. Opportunities to advance past assistant and store management are very scarce.

Advice to Senior Managementwith few opportunities for promotion, management needs to be rewarded more on how hard they work and how flexible they are. would love to see more attention and care put towards personal growth

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

amazing job

Associate (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

Prosyou are always Meeting people
    it's a fun and easy job
    you get a good workout
    you are always doing something

Consfloor set
    closing
    hours
    hours

First Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI got to meet a lot of cool, amazing people that worked with me.
    For a first job it was really good pay at the time.
    Discount was cool too.
    Great introduction to the industry and retail.
    Good experience

ConsTerrible work scheduling. Shifts would get cut or extended out of no where. The store would close at 10, sometimes the employees wouldn't go home till 12-1am. This was horrible I had an hour subway ride home at 12-1am! The managers didn't care!
    The managers kept changing, and the rules kept changing, and the expectations only grew. I never got a pay increase 6 plus months I worked there !

Advice to Senior ManagementClose on time! People have lives and need to get home!

A great idea thrust upon a sinking ship.

Role Model (Former Employee) Parkersburg, WV (US)

ProsGreat style and merchandise, competitive prices, better variety in recent years than in its inception.

ConsThe deals are too frequent and too shortsighted, which causes the business to lose more money than it makes. Also, we the employees are being asked to provide free advertising for the company - off the clock - on our own time under penalty or humiliation if we do not comply.

You have to take the bad with the good

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount here is very hard to beat, especially if you take advantage of the clearance rack. I have bought really great basics for $2 or less. Most of my coworkers were really energetic and great to work with. They made working there fun, and made the shifts go by quickly. Although I disliked most of my managers, there were a few that were really fantastic. They were supportive and really cared. Store standards were kept at a good level and it was not difficult to get on board and learn the ropes. If you are looking for a first time retail job in high school or want a part-time job in college, I would consider Aero because they really encourage a young, fun ambiance. If you are older, consider a retail store that caters to adults.

ConsThis sounds like every other retail con review but management was a nightmare. The store manager was unprofessional and talked about inappropriate things like her love life. But if you wanted hours or to have a good shift, you had to smile and listen. Although I had a BA and applied as an assistant manager position, I was hired first as a sales associate (so I could learn the ropes before becoming manager) but then was passed over for someone who the store manager was close to. Later I found out that the store manager and that particular employee had a personal relationship before I had gotten there. There were other, great candidates as well, people who had been working there for years, but they were passed over as well. There was drama in the back, with managers crying or yelling at times. I knew this place did not fit with my working lifestyle but I stayed because I was having a hard time finding another job due to the recession. Aero gave me more hours than my last retail job. I left after I found a full time position in a school.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider workers for promotions who are consistent and hard working. Do not solely rely on your store manager's opinions. Regional managers, please do more to pay attention to what is going on in your stores. Be professional and do not play favorites.

Good intro to retail, Bad long term job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Beaumont, TX (US)

ProsIt was my first retail job and it gave me a good idea of how the retail business worked. Fairly good starting pay (especially at the time)- $8 with no experience

ConsIt was more cutthroat than I thought it would be. The managers seemed to always be walking on egg shells with their bosses and in turn made their employees do the same. It tried to be a fun environment, but ended up being more stressful than necessary. I don't know if it was just the area I worked in, but the store attracted a not very good crowd, lots of shoplifting.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everything is about numbers. When you have happier employees, your business will be fine. Focus more on reducing shrink.

Great learning experience within a unit intense environment.

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEnjoyed the people I worked with and were able to place on my team. The autonomy afforded the DM level was great, although not all Regional Directors allowed this to their DMs. Compensation was very competitive for the base salary. Bonus potential was high at all levels and was paired with payroll.
    Work life balance is all about performance and your ability to plan ahead and execute. You are rewarded for performing well. Benefits were very competitive.

ConsThe environment was very political amongst the DMs and Regional Directors. The favoritism shown was blatant and turned out to be quite embarrassing for upper management, at times. It was interesting to see DMs put on a pedestal, only to learn that they were termed for some HR or LP related issue.
    Although the bonus potential was great, the company has been on a downhill slide for almost 4 years. This resulted in very few sales bonuses.

Storeline Aeropostale

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat policies in place, employee discount was nice, corporate had fair contests that motivated sales teams, fast paced environment, never a dull moment.

ConsInternal promotions beyond assistant manager rarely happens, district and regional managers are more about the personal connection (favoritism) than in store successes, usually this favoritism results in drunken nights out, sleepovers, etc. DMs and RMs are not professional in any sense. Company is changing their hiring qualities from outgoing and great sellers to the cutest and best looking.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!