Aéropostale

Updated 19 November 2014
3.1

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 41 reviews)

• Aero also gives employees a great discount (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I've worked with several girls who have been in Sales for YEARS and still get paid minimum wage (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

Great training programs for management, excellent leadership (DM/RM/corp partners) ability to grow and move up in the company, fun atmosphere, and great tools to help make daily goals.

Cons

The peak seasons could've been supported better with payroll hours. Training part time associates would cut into your floor coverage, making it difficult to train during the peak seasons.

The stores need more hours to help support the daily tasks so that it doesn't interfere with floor coverage, hindering the customer experience we are trying to deliver. This would also ease the stress of the management team, less turn-over. Every store runs completely different so not all stores need the same amount of hours. Give your part-time employees raises, it's difficult to keep great talent when they are stuck at minimum wage every year.

Excellent opportunity

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gives you a lot of responsibility to run the store, but corporate also takes responsibility for things that may go wrong, instead of blaming issues on the storeline employees. Truly a team effort! There is always something new and exciting going on, so it never gets boring. As store manager, you can really set the tone for your store, so you have the power to make changes to get the environment that will get the results. The company also invests in your training through a career development program, workshops, and quarterly management meetings. There is also an incentive trip to Florida every year for the top 100 store managers (based on a points system). The bonus plan is also pretty great!

Cons

Hiring can be difficult, as well as getting employees bought into the business so they want to work with you toward store goals. Going through a transition can be exhausting while you are trying to set the expectation. It is very easy to burn yourself out when getting carried away with all that can be done.

Keep focusing on our areas of opportunity, and helping us get new people into the store. Make sure not to get away from what brought employees to Aero which is the awesome culture of teamwork, respect, integrity, and compassion!

Great environment!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

What you put into the job is what you will get out of it! If you are willing and able to work a ton of hours, you will move up in the company. Aero offers great benefits and career development programs. DM's & RM's are amazing to work for. They will go out of their way to help you succeed!

Cons

There is no life-work balance, especially if you want to move up in the company. It's retail, you have to work nights & weekends but you do get one weekend off a month!

Inefficiencies and Fellow Employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Best coworkers I've ever had.
    -Friendly management.
    -Motivated hardworking staff.
    -Work well with my university upper-level studies and my second job schedule.

Cons

-resource wastefulness (excess plastic and coupons)
    -inefficient supply (receiving large amounts of product that isn't selling versus product that sells well (sales are too predictive) and too much of a particular size for example 15 small light hoodies is not an efficient distribution of sizes)
    -too long to receive a raise above minimum wage

Streamline supply efficiency, maybe provide a forum for store manager feedback to fix potential ineffiencies that are costing the company money.

Not the best pay but fabulous hours

Current Employee - ELS and Fashion Specialist
    Current Employee - ELS and Fashion Specialist

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great hours
    -Get to work with great people
    -Clothes are actually awesome since relaunch
    -Room for advancement
    -Fabulous employee discount! (More if you are an ambassador)
    -In my case a very comfortable store

Cons

-Hours can be low if you don't have great availability
    -Lonnng shifts if you arent used to them they can be a killer
    -Inter-coworker drama is never-ending
    -You are kept verrry busy

Commissions!

Great employers and customers, the interview process was cool and easy. All I did was talk about past achievements.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great work life balance people are easy to get along with and they are flexible.

Cons

They expect you to come in early to help on special days but it isn't that bad

Third Key Manager

Former Employee - Aeropostale in Christiansburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Aeropostale in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Environment
    Good Pay For Part-time
    Great Management

Cons

The basic retail cons.
    Dealing with a younger work base.

Build the brand better. Reach out more to employ's to find that out.

One hell of a roller coaster!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time

Pros

You get to meet and work with a lot of great people. DM's do what they can to help you out. The company cares about giving back to the community and trying to help people in need. This company definitely has their morals in the right place.

Cons

You never get enough payroll to complete anything. They want you to sell and make that your priority and not work on any tasks while open. They expect us to get shipment opened and processed, keep the floor packed out, remerch for sale through, complete marketing changes and floorsets, markdowns and promos, and recruit without interfering with business. I work for the kid's store and payroll for us is about 170 hours a week with about 10-12 staff members (who are minors). When floorsets and marketing changes happen in one week, you usually get about 25 hours extra. So, tell me how I am suppose to complete this with employees who cannot stay past a certain time during the school week , limited availability among the staff, and only enough hours to run the sales floor. it is near impossible and stressful.

If you want us to be able to do everything that you expect us to then you need to quit being stinging on hours. If you don't want to do that, then hire people specifically for the jobs you want done so the members in each store can actually focus 100% on selling.

Fun place to work. Co workers were engaged in work because they got the discount on the apparel they wore.

Former Employee - Apparel Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Apparel Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount was great and atmosphere was lo stress

Cons

Lots of folds with the apparel. Holiday time was a lot of folding, non stop.
    Mgt sometimes not realistic.

Good part time job

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, nice people, friendly management

Cons

Loud music, chaos in the store

Aéropostale Photos