ALDI

Updated 17 November 2014
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • Aldi is a great company to work for because of the pay and benefits, especially as a manager (in 48 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 33 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast-Paced and Rewarding. Flexibility is key.

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

The DM position demands a great deal of responsibility from Day 1. The position allows for much independence both in scheduling and completion of work tasks. You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits. You will grow as a leader each and every day on the job.

Cons

Work-life balance can be as good or as non-existent as you make it. Relocation is required of all DM's often resulting in you getting moved to any random area within the Division (whether good or bad). Leadership within upper management is often hit or miss.

Overwhelming and stressful

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and that is all pretty much I can say

Cons

Once you are employed by aldi you can forget about having a social life or a good home work balance . Schedule is bad will never have a weekend off unless your on vacation. You can try to ask for it off but good luck with that your only allowed to ask for two days off a month. Upper management (district manager) lack experience and are not people persons I guess they didn't learn how to speak to people at college. Shift manager pay is a joke you will only get paid the manager premium when your store manager or manager in training is gone for the day or they are off, but you are still require to perform the work (at cashier pay)

Hire management with experience not kids

High Stress, but good pay. Little time for life

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment helps the days pass, Smaller staff and helps build strong teamwork and accountability. Great starting salary and benefits. New stores continue to open allowing for growth.

Cons

Very high stress, and company culture asks that you are always available regardless of days or time off. Extremely high expectations often result in longer then scheduled days.

Can be slow to promote. And frequent upper management turnover make the environment unstable at times

Career Day

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

An awesome career opportunity with a great starting clara and compensation package

Cons

I was at a career fair that Aldi was recruiting at. It seemed as though the recruiters already had employees in mind they were hiring before they even came to my university.

Aldi

Former Employee - Store Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Store Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, hours, flexibility, accepting, work-life balance, advancement, good culture, friendliness, entry level, team building, co workers. Good when starting, great experience, respectful, helpful.

Cons

Fast-paced and can be tiring. Under-hiring when busy, cost-cutting, all very minor overall company is very good to work for, great place to start and either move up or move on.

None

Great training and pay

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Compensation is the best in the business

Cons

Technology is outdated but the company is currently making upgrades

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that takes care of people who put in the effort. The benefits are amazing! Paid holidays with our family's! Great paychecks! Plus vacation time, sick days, personal days, and a flexible schedule. You don't have to work Friday-Sunday every week like you do in most retail and service industry management positions.

Cons

You have to earn what you get. I don't think it's a con but this is why most people leave. They are expecting a lot from the employer but don't want a lot expected out of them in return.

Keep coaching and developing! The store managers need better accountability practices to be used in coaching store employees. They would gain some ground in the minds of the associates.

poor district mgrs

Current Employee - Store Manager in Westchester, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Westchester, FL (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

really nothing good to say

Cons

the way they think they own you when they hire you

They really need to have real management run the company, having inexperienced graduates running their districts is a joke. they have no idea how to run a real company or even talk to their staff.

District Manager Intern

Current Employee - District Manager Intern in Saxonburg, PA (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager Intern in Saxonburg, PA (US)

I have been working at ALDI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really good pay. Very young crowd of people from the district managers to the directors, made me feel comfortable as a college intern. In store part of internship was both interesting and helpful to understanding the company and position.

Cons

Poor work life balance, was working 55-60 hours per week on salary. Had to drive a TON and wasn't reimbursed for gas. Full-time DMs get their own company car in which gas is free and even store employees are paid mileage to travel to different stores and help out... not sure why we got the short end of the stick here. Got stuck with an awful DM as my "peer advisor" and this is what turned me off completely to the company/position.

Evaluate who you are giving the peer advisor positions to a little further. Pay interns mileage or give them a gas gift card at the end of the internship. Try to work on work-life balance a little better.

My experience working for ALDI

Current Employee - Store Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff, decent pay, as many hours as you can handle. The staff I work with are great, including the managers, though obviously this could vary tremendously between stores and regions.
    I'm never really bored at work. Angry, tired, happy... Sure, but never bored.

Cons

The rota can be an nightmare. Your shifts can vary so wildly from week to week that your sleep and social life will most definitely suffer. If you're a particularly social person and enjoy regular weekends out and being with friends you should forget about the job right now because I haven't had a weekend off in months. One morning you're up at 3am, the next you're not on until 2pm and so on... Basically it's very hard to have any kind of regularity in your free time because the rotas are so varied and inconsistent.

There's also a lot of variation in the way staff are treated. The gents are expected to do more heavy lifting, more physical work and that's fine, sure, but they're also typically the last people to get the time off that they want. In my store it's all too easy for a girl to bat her eyelids and get whatever time off she likes. Likewise certain members of staff seem to get away with murder. They perpetually under perform (making more work for the rest) without any repercussions.

There really isn't that much room for advancement. At best, after many years of thankless grafting you can make your way to store manager. The money at that level is good, yes, but in return you basically have to live in the store. If you've any ambition to make it into upper management you need to reconsider because there is no opportunity for store employees to advance to that level. They would rather employ people straight out of university.

My last little gripe is the uniform. The clothes are fine and good but men have to be clean shaven. This might not bother you at all but to me seems antiquated and discriminatory at best. There's no hygiene basis for it whatsoever. You are allowed facial hair for religious reasons though, which is almost more insulting. Beards are okay, basically, as long as you're the right race and skin colour.

Start hiring from the lower ranks and putting people with an intimate knowledge of actual store operations in positions of real responsibility. A kid straight out of university does not understand the minutia of store management in the 3 months they get actually working in shop.
    Take better care of your staff. Grumbles that have been around for ever are getting louder and louder. ALDI is making more and more money year upon year and still trying to cheap on their employees. You have the resources to show your appreciation a little better. Use them.
    Sort the rotas out. I guess this could vary wildly between stores but, in my experience, this is the single worst facet of working at ALDI. It is so demoralising working every single weekend for months on end. It is not good for productivity to have your staff tired and miserable because they haven't had a regular sleep pattern in years.
    The family 'everyone muck in' attitude covered all the weak spots when this chain was small and in it's infancy. Now ALDI is becoming a major player. They're on target to be THE store in the next 5-10 years. It's time to address these oversights before the staff that made you so great start to see the disparity between their efforts and their rewards and start to quit in droves.