ALDI

www.aldi.com

ALDI Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees(in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed(in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had(in 40 reviews)

Great Place if your Willing to Work

Store Manager Trainee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsThis company is amazing and efficient. I came from another company, different industry and Im pleased with the change. The Pay is amazing, the benefits are above all. I want to remind people that say they don't gets breaks and have to come in on their days off, do not equate that to Aldi but your SM or AM and bring it back to the store level. Ive always gotten my breaks, maybe not when I wanted them, but definitely got them. This is not a easy job at all, you work very hard for your money, but the time goes by sooooo fast, before you know it it's time to go home.

ConsBeing promoted from SM to DM, or transfers to different States.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far so good, No job or company is perfect but so far this company meets all my needs. Upper Management has a open door policy and if you have any concerns you can go all the way up to the top.

Great Start!

Stock Assistant (Current Employee) Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)

ProsI must admit, following the reviews I read on here I was a little apprehensive about starting in my new job as a 'Stock Assistant' in the Stratford-upon-Avon store. Following my first week, I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed it! I was greeted with a very warm welcome and the managers and floor staff have all been very supportive (and patient!) and I can honestly say that I couldn't have wished for better colleagues and managers! The pay is also excellent for a 16 year old and is even still set to rise! Now is a great time to join this prosperous business.

ConsMy only issue is that I can't fit in as many hours as I'd like when I start at sixth form in September!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and this company will continue to prosper!

Loved working for this company.

Clerk (Former Employee) Lawrenceville, GA (US)

ProsWonderful management and compensation. Good company to work for.

ConsSome really early hours and not much leeway in scheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours for clerks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, but some very ingrained issues...

Area Manager (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGreat Salary, company car, professional senior management, dedicated staff in-store.

ConsFar too much of the "just get it done" mentality, which is what many junior (graduate) managers come to perceive in their first management role as being leadership. Communication at all levels is poor. Capacity in busy stores in danger of being outstripped by demand. Work/Life balance is poor, although if you're a graduate in your first job then why not...

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in helping graduates to know the difference between "Leadership" and "Management".

Fast paced and straight to the point

Anonymous (Former Employee) Maywood, IL (US)

ProsThey have great benefits, the more you do the work the easier it becomes and the customers are lovely.

ConsThe time restraints, they have no union so they can fire you for the smallest thing and they won't place you close to your home.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to value their workers on a more personal level versus the DM, store manager having such authority and power to fire ppl with no just cause or investigation.

No balance.

Cashier (Current Employee) Waterbury, CT (US)

ProsPay is fair. Fast paced enviroment.. Easy to move from cashier to Shift Supervisor. Benefits are great actually. You get to work with good people that have to be extremely hard working. Lazy people don't last.

ConsLong hours, since its non union; I've worked `12 hour days with one 5 minute break. I'm never fast enough for expectations even though I'm the fastest cashier in my store. No work life balance. They say you can have a half hour lunch break during training, and two 15 minute breaks during an 8 hour shift... They say a lot of things. All Shift supervisors are under constant scrutiny from the District managers causing massive amounts of stress and pressure. I've been working there for a year and over a third of the staff has gone out on disability due to medical problems directly correlated to the speeds which you are expected to ring and work at. You are recorded on camera and the District manager see's you sitting for more than thirty seconds while (I am not exaggerating or kidding) ... let's say you are waiting for a senior citizen to unload groceries onto the conveyor belt, you will be reprimanded, this really happened to me. No matter what you do you will never be good enough, understand that and you'll understand half the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop working your employees to the breaking point.... Unless Aldi's corporate really likes paying disability leave, in which case have at it. wondering how many people have to go on disbility before Aldi's figures it out.

Great company, fast paced environment

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is by far the best you will get in retail. The benefits are wonderful. Stable company. Company has good values. If you are fresh out of high school, with no kids or have adult children that can care for themselves, you don't mind working efficiently and fast, and good with people, this job would be a good opportunity for you.

ConsIt's a very fast paced environment. You really have no social life. If you're a parent, finding babysitting for a constantly changing schedule can be rough.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employee morale, ask questions

No amount of hard work is enough.

Shift Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay a decent wage and have good benefits. You receive your first week of vacation after 6 months of employment.

ConsImpossible time standards, incredibly negative attitudes trickle down from upper management. Extremely minimal store coverage (sometimes only employees on the clock at a time).

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little extra on labor, and your employees will perform better.

great pay and benefits

Aldi District Manager (Current Employee) Denton, TX (US)

Prospay is great, very fast paced, off most major holidays

Consluck of te draw wit upper management, some good, some horrible leaders. Most other complaints probably typical of retail/grocery business, (no vacation during major holidays, if you are management you're on call 24/7, very demanding of your time and energy)

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct climate surveys of director level management to find out your poor leaders

Good job with good pay

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay for a starting cashier is good and as long as you're willing to work hard, it's a good place to work. There's usually always something to do to keep you busy, which helps the day go by quickly.

ConsHours are inconsistent. Some weeks I worked over 40 hours, other weeks I was only scheduled for 20 hours (as a full-time cashier). As a result, it can be hard to create a budget for your life without knowing how many hours you'll work from week to week.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overhire in preparation for holidays; this happened at my location and all of us full-time cashiers got 20 hours or less a week as a result. This really caused a drop in store morale.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!