APX Alarm

Updated Mar 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Todd Pedersen

An ok summer job if you land on a talented team, otherwise pack up and head home.

Installation Tech (Former Employee)

ProsGet to work with your hands. Solve different problems. Just a summer job.

ConsLong hours. Pay is dependent on Sales team performance, something you have no control over. My manager frequently favored his brother and would pass him work more frequently other team members. He also kept my back-end check. My W-2 form was filed incorrectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementRotation lists can be biased. I was the only non-Mormon on my team and was always placed last on the list every day despite relatively high-quality and quick work.

Eventful place to work

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsLots of perks, fun people, get to see new places

ConsManager took all the good areas, strict attendance policies and little flexibility

Advice to Senior Managementnada

Ok

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

Prossummer work, good people to work with

Consbad comp plan, managers took all the good areas to sell, no down time

Advice to Senior Managementfix the comp plan

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I found that a lot of the salesman were dishonest.

Contract Process (Former Employee) Provo, UT (US)

ProsThe people were fun to work with.

ConsI found a lot of the salesman were dishonest with customers and the company did not do much about it.

Advice to Senior Managementno advice to the management.

Great training for life skills, requiring a lot of self motivation and unsupervised hard work.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Charleston, SC (US)

Pros100% commission, so it's possible to make a great deal of money. This job allows you to manage yourself and determine your own success. It's possible to earn enough during the summer to support yourself during the school year. Most sales reps get to take 8 months off every year.

ConsSaturday is the longest day, usually about 12 hours. In order to do well, you really need to commit to working every single day (except Sundays) for about 4 months, without taking any vacation. Because it's 100% commission, it is possible to work hard all week and not earn anything, although that was a very rare thing in most offices.

Door to door sales with a modern kick

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsGreat training
    Great colleagues
    Hands on experience
    Sales Skills Development
    Sales Pitch Practice (hundreds of times a day)
    Great payscale and incentives

ConsLong hours
    Rejection
    Weather (depends where you are)
    Learning Curve
    Face to Face Intimidation
    Not Always Selling
    By Yourself on job

Alright company in most areas, a little sketchy on the sales process though

Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) Provo, UT (US)

ProsGood benefits, fun coworkers, free lunch, a nice rec room, and it pays pretty well. If you just need a job this one is pretty good.

ConsLots of shady corporate practices while I worked there, shifting managers around too often to have real leadership. Sales process is legal but doesn't feel honest anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that people are more than cogs in your machine to make money.

Good pay for a summer job as a student.

Customer Support Representative (Former Employee)

ProsDepending on the department,
    Customer service department was more lenient when it came to being a couple minutes late, working overtime, and you got to know your co-workers more. There were incentives, and some were random, e.g. you're on time to your 7am shift, and you get a $10 target gift card. Company parties are great, it's pretty fun. Customer service is a difficult department, and can be very stressful. For this reason, I think it's a bit more lenient and understanding.

ConsData entry department was ridiculously strict and you don't get to know anyone. You're 5 seconds (literally) late and you get written up for it. No incentives except for stupid games or trivia questions. Your higher ups are often incompetent and only there because they work full time meaning longer than 3 months (which is also when benefits kick in). Most employees are students, and therefore cannot move up, have to deal with these people, and don't get benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementEqualize the departments a little more, and don't be so strict. Looking at break times will help alleviate write-ups and concerns. If an employee is less than a minute late from break, take that into consideration. As much as one can try, they can't sync their watch/phone completely to the computer and suffer as a consequence.

Lots of money, awful job

Salesman (Current Employee)

Pros-force you to work hard
    -give you tools to do well
    -teach you everything

Cons-will cheat steal and try and blacklist you
    -make having a life impossiable
    -pay is awful compared to others

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing will change, they have a terrific business model.

Good money, but a lot of wasted time.

Technician (Former Employee) Provo, UT (US)

ProsSee another part of the country for a couple months. They never faulted on paying me. and the compensation was great. The system was easy to install.

ConsIts a time consuming work. A lot of sitting around. Its not a resume builder. You might have to fight for some money but if your right, they will pay you. Not to many vacation days and there aren't any benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to get more educated leaders in the middle management positions. Strive for more honesty in the company with their saleman.

Worked for APX Alarm? Contribute to the Community!