ASDA Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Only positive I could think of was the 10% discount (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible hours, local to my house at the time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

• Cutting department managers and expecting section leaders to do the same job for less than (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun and creative

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sherkot
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sherkot

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

communicative
    excellent health benefits
    happy setting
    leadership positions were up for grab if you were smart and ambitious enough

Cons

kitchen is dirty and toilets are clean which is weird

communicate more with lower staffs

Nice experience so far!

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Good colleagues, pay rate good, good atmosphere at work, customers generally nice, discount card. Management happy to cover shop floor jobs when staff shortages arise.

Cons

Busy periods cause section leaders to get stressed out. Sometimes difficult to get off checkout when needing a "comfort' break.

It's bad enough to have to ask for a 'comfort' break (I try not to but sometimes you have to!) but can some policy be put in so that checkout staff are not left waiting 40 minutes as I was on one occasion.

Great company

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

challenging and great benefits, you will be rewarded with a bonus if the store and company deliver KRA's and profit

Cons

Can work very long hours which you don't get back

if you want a challenge asda is for you

Lovely colleagues made a sometimes repetitive and tedious job worth it!

Former Employee - Seasonal Checkout Operator in Barrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Checkout Operator in Barrow, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In general, colleagues were very friendly and welcoming which created a very enjoyable atmosphere to work in. Excellent team leaders and managers always tried to accommodate time off and overtime: great ethos where they are more willing to be flexible with hours if you are willing to with them. Promotions often slow to come up simply due to few people higher up leaving but definitely select the right candidate for the job when promotions do arise and push the right sort of people to go for promotions. Always a member of staff to discuss any issues with and motivation to fix these issues.

Cons

Promotion opportunities often few and far between, sometimes working hours can be particularly tiring if switching between late night shifts and early morning shifts.

Talk to retail assistants more and allow retail assistants the opportunity to talk to you more, particularly when bringing in new ideas and procedures as passing messages and ideas up or down via team leaders and line managers often means these ideas get filtered and convoluted.

A very good experience

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Dunstable, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

open and honest approach during an assessment day.Great package for Warehouse Manager additional benefits.

Cons

No cons for now. All fine. Just accepted an offer.

none

Great inclusive environment but they company definitely get more than their money's worth out of you!

I worked at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams and personalities
    Genuinely caring management in most instances
    good benefits

Cons

Seriously long hours
    Culture of over-staying (in early, staying late) frowned upon if you leave on time despite management roles having no overtime associated

Perhaps a cultural review would be good but when working a such tight margins, staffing levels will always be at the bare minimum meaning huge workloads for all!

Great Stop gap for students and graduates

Current Employee - Grocery Nights in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Grocery Nights in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Whatever shift you get, days, nights or twilight its a great team environment. Everyone's really friendly and the work can be flexible. This is great for students and graduates looking to earn some decent money while balancing study, internships or keeping money in your pocket while job hunting. Progression can be very fast too, this will depend store to store, but you can make it to section leader (the first rung up the ladder) in between 1 - 2 years.

Cons

The pay's great for night shift workers but you earn your keep! Its a tough shift and turnover is high, many thinking its an opportunity to sit down at a till in an almost deserted superstore for 8+ hours, reality quickly sets in (its a replen job, getting the shelves full working delivery pushing to clear stock out of the warehouse, its non-stop from the time you start until shift end) and its not for everyone. No slackers!

It can be a monotonous job, very process orientated, you will feel like a bit of lacky.

Its not glamorous

The pay for "normal shift" (days) is a little over the minimum, not bad at all but nothing amazing.

I've had the good fortune of having great managers, they're very personable, approachable and empathetic to their team. This will differ from store to store obviously and there are some insufferable managers I've heard though.

Communicate more consistently with colleagues, touching base every 4 weeks or so regarding work, tasks and development opportunities. Get more serious about training! I see countless colleagues welcomed and left to get on with it, productivity, morale and the motivation of employees can be vastly improved if training (what we do, how we do, why do) is implemented more rigorously.

Make sure colleagues have the equipment they need to do their job, every day, make it consistent (cages, pump trucks etc.)

Poorly managed, shopfloor staff are treated like dirt.

Current Employee - Services and Checkouts in Shaw, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's fairly easy work, and the majority of colleagues are friendly and pull their weight.

Cons

Management is schizophrenic to say the least, constant changes in sale and seasonal product placement. Lack of communication between departments, repeated overspending on wages which is indicative of poor budgeting, hence the store is often understaffed. There is a general air of contempt among the managers for shopfloor colleagues, a lack of responsibility and an unprofessional blame culture in the workplace. Personnel are all but impossible to reach for most of the working day, and uniform replacement is non-existent.

Facilitate and encourage better communication and cooperation between departments. Maintain a professional and team-oriented attitude towards employees. Understand that colleagues have their duties laid out in their contracts, and as such should not be expected to work unreasonably outside the boundaries of their job. Personnel should be obligated to make themselves available to colleagues as much as possible.

Over worked - underpaid

Current Employee - Colleague in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Colleague in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a great team and meeting some of the nicest people working here.

Cons

Working overtime and not getting paid. Being forced to take time off and not getting paid because they had issues with wages. Always focused on targets and how the business is doing rather than how their colleagues feel.

Treat colleagues like people and realise your business needs people to achieve targets and not expect colleagues to work for free to gain the same results and "underspend" on wages.

Okay

Current Employee - Bakery Assistant
    Current Employee - Bakery Assistant

I have been working at ASDA part-time

Pros

Colleagues are friendly, so I have a good laugh. Managers leave you alone to get on with what need to be done, easy to shift swap and pick up overtime. I can also have a good sing along to asda fm. Pay is just about good enough.

Cons

As a bakery assistant I have to go into a freezer multiple times especially on an evening shift, I dread this the most. only 10 % discount and the department I work in is understaffed. Can be boring and tiring as I am on my feet all the time running around.