ASDA Reviews

Updated 22 April 2015
360 reviews filtered by
ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • 10% Discount benefit as well as all the flexibility and development opportunities (in 23 reviews)

• Flexible hours (when it suits the management) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Ordinary colleagues left to deal with mess made by mangers and section leaders (in 13 reviews)

• As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

1. Fun and creative

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sherkot
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sherkot

I have been working at ASDA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

communicative
    excellent health benefits
    happy setting
    leadership positions were up for grab if you were smart and ambitious enough

Cons

kitchen is dirty and toilets are clean which is weird

Advice to Management

communicate more with lower staffs

2. Decent supermarket to work for.

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Good seasonal job to help with uni student living costs. Flexible hours. Fairly good pay compared to other retail stores. Most colleagues and managers are very friendly and approachable.

Cons

Management was weak in some areas. Progression is not easy. Section leaders are paid only a fraction more than junior colleagues and are expected to do the same work and the same hours as mamagers, including overtime.

Advice to Management

Improve chances of progression. Although improvements may have been made since I left.

3. loader

Current Employee - Loader in Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Loader in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing job love helping people get there shopping when unable to come to store

Cons

Just love working outside

Advice to Management

Nuffing amazing

5. Difficult company to work for.

Former Employee - Shop Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount Card
    Share-Save
    Colleagues
    Certain jobs are interesting to do
    Most customers are great

Cons

Section Leaders and Managers seem to sit and watch you do the job and then complain that certain things aren't being done and ask why there are issues that shouldn't be there in the first place if these "section leaders" actually managed the section.

Advice to Management

Sort yourselves out. You were all once colleagues and should understand the pressure of working in an understaffed environment.

6. Would You Like To Work The Next Two Weeks Non-Stop? Don't Reply, JUST DO IT.

Former Contractor - Store Collegue in Grangetown, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Store Collegue in Grangetown, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Completed about a week and a bit with these absolute mugs. Got paid a decent amount but to be fair that's because they forced me to work days without letting me answer. Oh and another pro, it was temporary.

Cons

Everything. I signed up to work the checkout and ended up being used out of hours, which meant working nights. Not too bad for a bit of spare cash but to have the arrogant up themselves managers coming over to demand I work every night over Christmas for the next two weeks without assuming I wanted to be with my family or anything, was a massive slap in the face and instantly give me a negative view of the company.

All of the managers had that Jack the Lad "I climbed the ladder through the bedroom" looks about them and seemed to constantly smile at the misery of putting everyone else through Christmas without a break.

Additional cons included, depressing music played overnight, no real options for food during your break and permanent staff that treated you like an ant.

Oh and we were "offered" jobs when they built their extension. Did anyone get one? No.

Advice to Management

Sort out your managers. Seriously. A bunch of blokes dressed like they're on a night out with only an ASDA name badge to prove they're actually at work and the attitudes of men who live the high life will not make a successful company from the ground up. It will simply make less people want to work for you.

7. Work you hard, don't pay you a lot but at least you've got job security

Current Employee - Commercial Finance Manager in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial Finance Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location is good, 10% discount helps, flexible working patterns if you need them

Cons

Salary for people who progress internally isnt good, nor if you don't work in a core area of the business
    Level of bureaucracy you'd expect with a company of this size - doing anything quickly is impossible

8. Personal Shoppper

Current Employee - Personal Shopper in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Once you are up with the pace, it can really really easy to do the work. Early Start, Early finish (rest of the day to do other stuff)

Cons

During seasons - Christmas, Can be really stressful

Advice to Management

Be friendly always

9. Positive experience, very slow and limited career progression and at times can be very disorganised but it is a fun job!

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

A lot of job freedom and have some degree of responsibility, very healthy and happy culture, amazing colleagues and the job itself is surprisingly enjoyable!

Cons

Very disorganised, career progression prospects are small with poor pay when compared to competitors, contracts are somewhat unfair for example, I work 20 hours a week yet my contract only says 8, meaning that I get less pay for holidays etc

Advice to Management

Give fair contracts to entry level employers and communicate more with other department leaders

10. Very enjoyable.

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Ipswich, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really look forward to going to work as all of the employees are friendly and I'm kept busy so the time goes quickly.

Cons

Having to deal with any difficult customers or when the shop gets busy as you have to try and quicken how you work but still provide excellent customer satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Perhaps do more charity events as these are really fun. Have a website so we can check when our shifts are.

11. home delivery driver

I have been working at ASDA full-time

Pros

flexible, sometimes, easygoing

Cons

expect too much, no help, not available when required, not enough time given for deliveries.

Advice to Management

talk to employees