AXA Advisors

Updated 18 December 2014
3.3

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Creating your own work schedule/ Flexible Hours (This is not a 8-5 job) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• I would suggest buying a book of business, starting from scratch can be daunting (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Local branch office environment can be like a small company. This is good or bad depending on your location.

Current Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors

Pros

AXA has many departments and many opportunities globally. They also have excellent benefits.

Cons

If you go to work in a local branch office, if you have a successful branch manager who is growing/improving the branch, it can be a good place to work. Otherwise, it can be a difficult environment. My experience has been very unpleasant.

Do more advertising in local branch locations to help growth. Most people have never heard of AXA in Utah or other smaller branch locations.

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Professional in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Professional in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to use Network with Insurance and Investments, 401k match group life di. No real schedule you work when your clients need you.

Cons

W-2 vs other networks 1099 pay, health benefits awful, cost of E&O Insurance is outrageous, cost of salesforce and other required CRM is outrageous, minimum requirements to not be fired are high. Opportunity is just that, you still need to go find your clients.

Take away minimum requirements, let us choose our own E&O, and get rid of the W-2 system, I lose 1/3 of my paycheck to the government and they aren't working any harder.

Growth, development, rewards.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AXA Advisors is the place for you if you care for things like autonomy, mastery and purpose. I love being able to set my own calendar and focus on brave goals with the great help of our manager. Success comes inevitably if you learn to follow your calendar and keep performing your best every single day. A great place to play an Entrepreneur role in a world of financial services. This gives me an opportunity to be my own business owner and represent myself to the clients as my company. Which is a great advantage and another great trait in the financial world.

Cons

The Entrepreneurial part might be as good as it might be bad. For example you gotta pay rent for your own cube and/or assistant and stuff like that. Personally I do not mind that at all but putting it in 'Cons' is my gesture to all those who might not appreciate this fact as much as I do.

“Try not to become a man of success. Rather become a man of value.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    My advice would be to stay supportive but keep reminding other reps their true duty as a Financial Advisor.

perseverance

Current Employee - Registered Representative in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

if you work hard you'll be rewarded for it. Unlike regular employment even you exceeded what was asked of you, you don't get much in return, but in AXA its WORK HARD AND GET REWARDED. lot of perks!

Cons

you need to pay for your business and everything it entails. if you don't have a sale that month it means no compensation too. So this job is for the tough ones

Good products, but terrible training

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Some very competitively priced life products. Note that you do not have to work for AXA Advisors to sell their products.
    The company will (eventually) reimburse you for exam costs (series 7, 66) but only after successfully passing and only after successfully securing a contract with the company.

Cons

Securing a contract consists of bringing in a minimum amount of business in before you are an official employee. Whereas other insurance-oriented companies will provide training and a starter salary, AXA provides little and none of the same. Training varies wildly from manager to manager, and many managers are not very qualified to train in the first place, as they are usually not the top talent. Instead, for being willing to take on new candidates and hires, they have something of an advantage in gaining your clients when you fail to make numbers, which you must do each quarter - otherwise, you are fired. Yes, despite all of your pay coming in from insurance/annuity commissions, you WILL be fired if you cannot make numbers, despite the llack of training or new business leads from AXA.

AXA was apparently once known for training new employees well. Now, with training done so abysmally, anyone who succeeds at AXA would likely have found success at any run-of-the-mill insurance company. The fail rate of new hires at this company is spectacular - probably comparable to Edward Jones.

Internship

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern

Pros

Internship program was a lot of fun, but didn't provide much insight into how being financial advisor would be.

Cons

Doesn't portray the financial industry at all for someone trying gain experience.

Advisor

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place, great people. Large corporation.

Cons

Drink the koolaid/Amway type of atmosphere

For their first year, bring new hires into meetings to learn the ropes instead of having them bring in their own market in for meetings.

Just an ok experience thus far.

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some pro's to working with AXA. I would say a major pro for me is being able to offer all services as a financial advisor. They lean a little more towards insurance products but thats natural for a company like AXA that specializes in Life Insurance and Annuity products. Decent and competitive Life Insurance products, good annuities for the right situation.

Cons

Despite AXA having a good Life Insurance product lineup their underwriting department is absolutely horrendous. I have never dealt with such a disorganized and unprofessional department in all my life. Compensation with the all commission route is really not that competitive and great. When you compare what they pay you vs what an independent advisor gets paid ..it really doesn't fit the bill for your tiny cubicle and what not. Middle management can be greedy, have conflicts of interest on what you sell and some of them are totally inexperienced and dont know what they are are talking about half the time, really just depends on your luck.

Stop with the constant negative reinforcement to your FP's and FC's when they have a down period and are struggling with numbers. Really just takes the wind out of a lot of people's sails. Stop district managers from micromanaging and calling employees during off business time. Own mistakes when they are made rather than deflecting. Fix problems with the underwriting department immediately.

Nice people

I worked at AXA Advisors part-time

Pros

Nice people and relaxing culture

Cons

No team work and crowded working environment

Great training for new financial advisors but it is a very hard job

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Pitt, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Pitt, MN (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training is very good and ongoing

Cons

Need to provide more leads for new reps and pair them up with seasoned producers. Do not take this job unless you have 5-8 years where you can stomach 3-4 nights a week and 50-70 hours weeks. Your average the first few years could be 30-50k and you will need to have money in the bank to get thru tough months. If you make it this is one of the greatest jobs you can have - but only 10% make it.

Be honest in the interview process.