AXA Advisors Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
3.2

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Salary, plus commissions flexible schedule and the opportunity to meet different people everyday (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• And its commission based salaries for the most part so good luck building up that book of business to gain a decent earnings (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales not an Advisor

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy way to get your Series 7/66 & LAH Licenses. Can provide some beneficial financial services industry experience. If you know a lot of people with large retirement accounts you can make large sums of money very quickly.

Cons

You will be forced to sell to your friends, family and then just about anyone who will still talk to you or answer your phone calls. Little to no help will be given to you once they see you as having tapped your "natural market" and you will be discarded. Compensation is purely commission based making almost everything you sell an inherent conflict of interest.

Provide some support for your advisors. Marketing, financial, training or anything would be helpful.

Lots of potential & good training but have deep pockets for your first few years

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It all depends on the manager of the branch. No company can dictate the culture of a local agency, so check out your VP and local culture. My branch was big on joint work, so expect to split commissions. Good training for those new to the business, company paid travel to training in NY during 2nd year. Good wholesalers, insurance and investment. Good products with option to go outside brokerage (limited crump) on insurance products if needed. Technology is decent, e-apps and salesforce. LPL is behind on adapting site to iPad.o

Cons

Brand recognition in US, which can be important to newbies, continues to be a challenge. Expenses can be high (E&O, appointments, limited free marketing materials, purchase your own computer & stationary, LPL fees, etc). Training was REQUIRED in my branch even if you don't need it, until you hit certain production numbers.
     Joint work is great training, but check out your work partner on FINRA broker check. I didn't and lost a big client (1m aum) because my "expert" joint work partner had a client complaint and I didn't know about it.
    Need a STRONG natural market to approach or lack of filters. Orphan clients have been recycled many many times.

training is good, incorporate some how to run a business (my VP didn't know much about home office deductions for statutory employees). Develop customized training at local branch level to avoid wasting time in training when it's not needed.
    senior company execs can seem a tad conceited - introducing themselves to a room of 100+ advisors with their first names when we have no idea who they are or their position, seemed like we were expected to know.

advisor

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great place to work good people

Cons

money not great but if you work hard you can make bank

be willing to put in time

growing experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Despite the cons, it's definitely a place where you'll experience the most character development. It'll force you to either give up the comfort of a high paycheck in the beginning or to have you reach out and network with people you never thought you would talk to for life. But through these processes, it's personal growth and relationship building, whether you made a sale or not at the end of the day. Plus as AXA advertises, it's not about selling but about helping, which I genuinely believe it's true otherwise I would've never even stepped in this industry if the company or the industry is not filled with people who are kind at heart. I was there for 6 months but I believe I've seen both the goods and the bads. I still believe given the motivation and passion in insurance and retirement planning and a kind heart, you will succeed. Also you will meet some of the smartest coworkers because they all have good degrees. Despite the fact that most people don't make it, those that do are high-achieving and intelligent.

Cons

It's more on you to make a difference. Not so much relying on the manager or the company to push you. No parking. No base salary in the beginning. A lot of cold-calling before successfully building that referral network.
    Definitely not for everyone.

make sure you're ready

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great products great company one of the largest finance companies in the world.

Cons

its difficult to get started in this industry make sure you are ready when considering this as a career choice.

Lacking professionalism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The ability to build a network. Learn about front-office work. Flexible hours. Great location in Midtown.

Cons

Office culture: lacking professionalism. Testosterone-filled. Loud, inappropriate banter. Inappropriate dress-code. Unpaid. Indifferent managers who want to maximize profit earning potential. Leaves intern with mundane business development work where the intern does not gain any knowledge.

Treat employees and interns better. Don't hire incompetent employees who spend more time gossiping than working.

Helpful if you get the right mentor

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Definitely not a job for someone straight out of college to get into unless you are willing to really bust your butt and probably be broke for a year or two. If you are willing to put all the effort into it, you WILL get results but until then, its really rough.

Cons

Depending on your mentor, your experience here may be a complete waste of time. If your mentor does suck, go latch on to somebody else.

Yes interns are replaceable but treat them well and you can help them help you! Its a win-win situation!

Karr Barth/AXA Advisors

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Bala Cynwyd, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Bala Cynwyd, PA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Karr Barth is one of the top AXA offices in the country for good reason. The training is second to none; coming from another broker/dealer and new to the business, the training I received and continue to receive at Karr Barth is amazing. Management does an extremely good job assisting new advisors in launching their business.

Cons

Being an advisor is extremely difficult--no one at Karr Barth will try and hide that from you. It is difficult for good reason, however. Other reviews cite having to pay for licensing or tapping your "natural market" as negatives. Launching a business that holds a tangible value has a cost up front. However, having ownership over your own business allows you the freedom to be as successful or unsuccessful as you want to be--there is no ceiling.

Keep up the good work.

If you work hard you will be compensated.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth, Independence, Sales Driven, Pays well

Cons

Not much help, Need to work with others

Give the younger guys more tools for success

Good

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Biggest financial company in the world

Cons

No warm market, need to find it by your owe