Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 1,805 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

1,805 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The staff is fun and mostly good looking people which is a plus if you are single"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Laid back work environment, working with people around your age group, easy job"
    in 92 reviews
Cons:
  • "Being a impactor/model you start off getting paid minimum wage"
    in 196 reviews
  • "Work/Life Balance - They don't care about what's going on outside of work"
    in 61 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cool kick around job for high school or college

Model/Store Representative (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

ProsThe best thing about working here is the environment. It's usually pretty chill, and stress free. Unless it's like back to school or a sale, your day will typically be very mellow.

ConsIt can get boring working here really fast. The pay is only minimum wage which is pretty much nothing. They also want you to wear the clothes if you work there. The say you can wear stuff that "looks like their clothes", but if you do they will nit pick the crap out of you or give you weird looks. My thing is, don't require me to buy your clothes just to work here when the pay is chicken feed. You will literally be spending all your money buying clothes every new season.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees, stop being so stuck up about image and allow some diversity. Stop nit picking over nail polish and chill it's not that serious.

Okay at best.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

ProsThe coworkers and managers I've met while I worked there were great and all really friendly.

ConsMinimum wage and the strict guidelines of dress code.

Formerly devoted, now just disappointed.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou'll meet some amazing people and learn the basics of being a manager.
You get to wear jeans & flip flops to work every day.
Great, low cost healthcare plan.

ConsThere are so many, and it breaks my heart. I've worked for the company (part and full-time combined) for close to 10 years. I've been called an "abercrombie cheerleader", a "life-er", and have always said nothing but great things about the company I so loved. Since moving up in the company little by little I have grown more and more disenchanted.

-The hours are ridiculous. If you're going to be looked at favorably by anyone, you leave when the work is done, not when your shift is over, no matter what. Family in town? Sick? It's your birthday? Doesn't matter. And if you're prepping for a visit, forget about it....you might as well bring your toothbrush and sweatpants because you're having a sleepover. And when it's over, you won't get any feedback on how it went.

- Management staff is pared down to a bare minimum. Partly due to cuts, mostly due to the difficulty these days in winning people over enough to want to work for you. The pay is some of the lowest in retail, prospective candidates need a 4 year degree, and must pass the first, most important filter: looks. If they aren't great looking they won't get hired. This, while understandable, makes it extremely difficult to staff your store with competent managers who will go anywhere in the company.

-Unrealistic expectations. You will go above and beyond and your bosses will make all kinds of exceptions when it comes to hours usage and bringing in beautiful kids, to prepare for visits from RMs, directors, CEO, etc. but day to day it is impossible to maintain these standards with the tools you're given. In a perfect world, or 7 years ago when everyone and their friends wanted to work at A&F this was easy as pie. Now? You have to call in favors and practically beg these good looking kids to come in and work for a visit. But because higher-ups had an easier time so many years ago, they still expect the same.

-Those lovely, inspired, carefree photos on facebook and instagram of international stores, charity drives, or people "hanging out" at the home office showing off the latest new styles...yeah we all want to work THERE. Meanwhile I am crawling around scraping gum off the floor or dusting plant pots or furiously changing a lightbulb before a secret shopper notices.

-Promotions are based 10% on talent, 90% on looks/favorites. You'll catch on to this pretty quickly after having your photo taken every other month with no reasonable explanation. Having an ugly day? Not that photogenic? Tough. This weighed on me a lot, because there would be days I'd be working so hard, exhausted, hungry, only to be pulled out to have my photo taken and realize all the other stuff is irrelevant as long as I took a good photo.

-Bottom line: You are disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs important as brand image and international expansion is to you, don't forget about those handfuls of stores stateside who made and continue to make that all possible. We all agree, the market in the US is too saturated. Close some stores, make program changes, do what you have to do. But step up and recognize your hardworking managers. Not with boxes of candy, or impersonal memos printed across the controllers...but with the pay they deserve, feedback, encouragement, and development. All store managers enjoy the store leadership training - why is this only held once a year RMs and DMs - get your hands dirty. Talk about recruiting? Get out with your managers and recruit. Think our store isn't clean enough? Show us what clean is to you. Want us to stay late and prep for your bosses visit? Stay with us. Even an extra hour.
Show your people, don't tell them, that they are appreciated and you'll get a lot more out of them.

Practice what you preach.

Former Lead Stock

Lead Stock (Former Employee)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAwesome people work here (for the most part). We always tried to have a good time while completing mindless tasks.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement if you do not have your Bachelor Degree. It could be in anything (as long as you're good looking), then you can go anywhere. Don't be too good at your job though, they don't like to give raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosing up and take better care of your store-level employees.

Decent

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Frisco, TX (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to be promoted if you are hardworking. By hard working I mean, will stay late and come in early and do the job of others around you.

Conswork-life balance sucked. it will never be perfect ( how they want it) because it is retail and customers dont shop cleanly. They need to increase the hours given to stores if they want the results they demand.

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

ProsGreat place to work when you have a great manager. Many assistant managers were clueless which made it difficult to work. Overall, fun place to work during high school.

ConsPoor management, poor communication from managers, minimum salary.

Fun place to work, burnout is likely

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Brea, CA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

ProsA lot of fun.
Meet new friends.
Nice clothes; discount.

ConsTHe hours (especially during the holidays) are brutal.
THe pay is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire based on qualifications, not based on looks!

For high school students....

Model (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

ProsVery flexible work hours
Music playing in store is better than no music at all....

ConsEmployees are not treated well or trained well.
Managers arrive late and do not compensate you when you should have been clocked in while they were not there.
Company hires new people all the time and doesn't care about improving the quality of their workers.
Some managers are very rude to workers.
Most of the people working here are high school students. If you are older you will not fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about developing your employees and maybe they would stay at the company longer and work more efficiently.

MIT/AM :Underpaid, overworked, disorganized mgmt (both at the district and regional level), ok first job out of college.

MIT/Assistant Manager At Hollister Co (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for less than a year

ProsCool co-workers, get to work with attractive people, make friends to go out with, immediate employment straight out of college, 10 AAAs 50% items, 30% discount as a manager, good first "real" job, gives you insight to what being a manager is all about, teaches you skills on how to run your own business. "The Program" walks you through everything that needs to be done in a day. There is a standards binder that tells you in detail anything you could possibly have a question about. They make it really easy to learn how to do things step by step. (the standard way of doing things is also a CON sometimes- see below). Being hired as a manager (MIT) is a huge ego boost.
You need a four year degree to be an MIT
Recruiting is fun

ConsThings must be done 100% according to standard. No room for creativity. Even as a SM, you are not really in control of your own store. You can;t run your store how you want. Room for career advancement is slim and falsely advertised during MIT interview and the time thereafter during your MIT program. Can be cliquey- think high school drama. Pro for me but could be a con for others- working with only young (21-25 yr olds) people straight out of college. That's the atmosphere that you will be working in as an MIT/AM/SM/GM.
Overworked, underpaid. As an MIT, expect to have full AM responsibilities your second week (opening and closing by yourself, shifts by yourself, not as much training as your MIT program suggests.
MITs hardly ever actually complete the assignments.
No individuality
Brainwashes some people
You might become a robot (have to always be smiling, upbeat, "hey, how's it going, can I help you with anything?")
Some of the management and upper management are brainwashed and have no personality or sense of individuality

REGARDING NON-OVERNIGHT STORES:
Management is understaffed and the turnover rate is extremely high- leads to a lack f training for MITs.
You MUST wear the clothes in the style guide.
Weekly visits from the DM are stressful
NO OVERTIME PAY!!! YOU ARE PENALIZED FOR WORKING MORE THAN 40 HOURS A WEEK! THEY CUT YOUR PAY TO HALF TIME (INSTEAD OF TIME AND A HALF). I don't understand how this is legal. They actually have been losing lawsuits recently with this to pay managers overtime.
They tell you that you are "salaried" but it is actually an hourly pay (14.90). And you can;t just leave once you hit 40 hours because you are a manager so nobody else can "cover" you.
Hours have been cut lately so model and impact staff is short every day.
If you are hired into a store that has an overnight crew, that last part probably wont apply to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized!
This company is going downhill. But overall- it's a good starting job for retail management/out of college.

Decent first job

Model (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

ProsMany of the other employees were fun to be around.
The job wasn't difficult at all- you get paid to stand around and flirt with people.

ConsThe loud music and the loud cologne often leads to headaches.
The company is extremely racist- I was often asked to follow non-White customers around the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!

Abercrombie & Fitch Videos

Abercrombie & Fitch – Why Work for Us?

Abercrombie & Fitch Co. is a leading specialty clothing retailer holding four unique lifestyle brands - Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie kids, Hollister Co., and Gilly Hicks. Based in New Albany, Ohio, Abercrombie… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abercrombie & Fitch reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries. All 1,805 reviews are posted anonymously by Abercrombie & Fitch employees.