Abercrombie & Fitch

2,337 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,291 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Cool people, really good first job experience.

Current Employee - Model in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Model in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for 3 years. If you have a good attitude, you get lots of hours. Its a lot of fun if you're a college student looking for some extra cash in the holidays. All of the associates are 18-25, including most managers, so its really easy to relate to people. Its also a relatively easy job, folding clothes, saying hi to customers. The hours are also flexible with school schedules, and other work schedules. Some customers are really interesting. If you are a people person, it is really fun meeting international people.

Cons

The longer you work here, the less motivated you get. This company doesn't give raises. I know good employees, who have been with the company for 5 years, who still get minimum wage. Also, hours are only 4-6 hour shifts that vary every week. If you live far away its not that great. You will see people come and go, even managers (and the new managers will treat you like a bimbo even if you have worked in the company longer than they have) The music is loud, the lights aren't great, and the company literally pumps Fierce cologne into the air (they have vents that spray the store). I get customer complaints everyday. Also, the expectancy for perfection is ridiculous. If you're looking for a job to sustain your life, go somewhere else. This is not a long term job.

If you want respect, give respect. Most of the managers are people who have just gotten their degree, and most of the associates are in the process of getting theirs. We're not stupid, we just need some guidance. Remember what you were like in college, and remember that this job is not our lives.
    Also, if you want to raise standard, allow more hours in the budget. We're not lazy people, but its overwhelming when one model is expected to perfectly close the store alone on a friday night, and one impacter is expected to finish 14 boxes of shipment alone.
    Another thing, if you expect to depend on good workers, compensate them for their good job. Offer a position between model and manager, like other retail companies, call them designers or something cool. They can be the people that dress the manikins and work updates and overnights, and help train the new people. You don't have to pay them a lot, just like 15 cents more. It would keep the senior staff people happy, and offer more time for managers to do their tasks rather than worrying about the associates knowing what they're doing. Its discouraging when new people do things wrong (not that its their fault), so the older people have to pick up the slack and get paid the same to do double the work.

A very social environment

Current Employee - Model in Peabody, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Model in Peabody, MA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount. Everyone was around my age and managers were much more chill as Abercrombie got more lax on what you could wear and not wear

Cons

In the past you basically had to buy the clothes you worked in

There is no room for promotion. You have to have a 4 yr degree to go anywhere which is nuts for a retail store

AM and already over the job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Job is easy. Being a model previously helped me transition to assistant manager very easily. It's great experience in the management field and you make a lot of connections (to later leave).

Cons

Recruiting people is terrible. The turnover is so high because we can't give our associates even a decent amount of hours since we want "good looking people" and "fresh faces" all the time. Due to this, the associates treat the job like a joke and won't show up or quit in the worst manner possible. Upper management micromanage stores they never visit and when they do, they pick out stupid things that are wrong. Updates every week are miserable. Discount during AAA's is good but only then.

Quit micromanaging our stores. If you want results, listen to our opinions. We are in there every day. We see what goes on and what SHOULD change! Ask us. Treat us as your equal.
    Get rid of the plants. They are a pain and we always find sensors in them. Get rid of crazy standard and forms. Let us remove clothes from the forms, we would sell way more merchandise. Also, I wish we could just dress the forms ourselves and not involve some crazy task to make them look perfect!
    Allow us to recruit less. A lot less. Let us develop our good associates into great ones and give them decent hours (15-20 a week). We worry every time we schedule a new hire to do something because it's hard to train them and run our store at the same time.
    If there was ONE THING I could change, it'd be to stop recruiting and keep our good associates. Even just have one position and train them all how to do model/impact work. My T3 store would need maybe 15 great employees and the store would run smooth, instead of the 50 that I am told are needed.

Great job for High School or College Student.

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The greatest parts of working here is definitely the people you work with along with the culture of the store and company. It is a very laid back environment but with very strict policies and standards. The people you work with are normally pretty outgoing and fun to be around.

Cons

The cons are quite an extensive list sadly. You only get 30% off full priced items with 20% off at Sister stores, so most of the time the store sale is better than your associate discount. You get Minimum Wage so you really use about a weeks worth of pay on one outfit. There is no room for growth unless you complete or have a Bachelors degree to become a Co-manager or Store manager. You can be "on-call" many a day with many 4 or 5 hour shifts only. So your work-life balance can be difficult to plan for.

Depends on your Management team. We just got a brand new Management team and they are wonderful. The last one... not so much. So, if you have a good team then working can be great.

Young environment, great for a first job!

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Friendly staff, management transparency, great training

Cons

A hit-or-miss with managers, seasonal employees can get confused with the changes

Very welcoming and cool enviroment

Current Employee - Floor Model in Scranton, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Floor Model in Scranton, PA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All your associates are good looking, fun to be around people. A lot of different backgrounds and things to talk and bond over. You all really become a family

Cons

Look policy and store need to be perfect. Many secret shoppers- people disguised as shoppers but really come to make sure your customer service and store is perfect- enter the store.

Keep up the good work.

As a manager you learn to run the business and how to manage your team

Current Employee - Store Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Meeting really cool fun people and learn skills to help people develop. Gain a lot of skills that will help you become better no matter what job you're in. Learn how to plan, organize and execute strategies to help improve the store.

Cons

Very hierarchical company work structure and strict standards that you need to follow. Not much room for creativity and individual thinking.

Build relationships with your people. At the end of the day people want to work for a great leader and not a boss.

It was okay

Current Employee - Store Manager in Spartanburg, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Spartanburg, SC (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, great store staff

Cons

Long hours, pay, policies suck

Create more of a work/life balance

Great foot in the door

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Great starting job as a high school student

Cons

No raises, messy management, horrible hours

Fun for a side job

Former Employee - Model in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Model in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Casual, easy job. Extremely low stress. Made some friends.

Cons

You're competing with fellow employees to get as many shift hours as you can, since the pay is minimum wage.

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos