Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews

2,113 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,172 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage (in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights

District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots and lots of perks....you are managing 4 or 5 stores, so lots of traveling...but they gave us Audi A3s for our company car and the latest iphone's....paid for everything and great health insurance, 401k, benefits, vacation, etc...also met a lot of great people and TONS of connections were made. It was fun for awhile...until it got RIDICULOUS....workin' like a slave.. but we don't hire 'em. lmfao

Cons

They pay for your cell phone...THAT MEANS YOU ARE WORKING 24/7 (or it felt like it). Sure, it was great to finally have weekends off after working them as a store manager and assistant manager, but not when I'd have to constantly be up and leaving voicemails 7 days a week at 8AM....The company overall has some very unrealistic and crazy upper management that are totally all crazy about the company...

leadership is a major factor and there is opportunity to advance...just try not to take things personal or AS serious as upper management takes things...because most of it is so far out in left field and they are so strung out and amped up that it ends up being entertaining....OH...and horrible raises too once you reach this level. If you don't suck up to the upper management, you won't get anywhere...and if you aren't "HOT", don't plan on getting promoted very quickly.

Good for making friends, bad for making money.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I made a ton of friends during my 6 years at Abercrombie & Fitch, and overall my days were pretty easy. If you want a fun and mindless retail job, this is a great choice. However, during my time as an Assistant Manager I learned a lot of great workplace skills, and if you're interested in staying in retail or fashion, being a manager at A&F looks good on your resume. Their benefits are very good too if you're a full-time employee.

Cons

Depending on your job title or how big your store is, this job can get stressful very quickly. Your boss will expect you to devote your whole life to A&F if you're a manager, and you're rarely praised for your hard work. The schedule is awful and you work like a slave for a very little amount of money. It's ridiculous that you even need a degree to be a manager here. Promotion is also limited because they company is downsizing, not expanding, so good luck being anything more than a glorified "store manager". I hope you like working on weekends and being responsible for all of the complaints in your store!

Higher pay. I have since moved on to a different retail job and I make $1.90 less as a sales associate than I did as a MANAGER at Abercrombie & Fitch. That is ridiculous.

Great environment

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers/team environment, training is definitely provided. You will usually get the hours you want and/or need.

Cons

Minimum wage; some workers work harder than others, thus pay is unfair. Opening can take place very early in the morning and closing can go past midnight (depending on the week day). No more than 20 hours per week per person for the most part.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great as first job

Current Employee - Impact Team Member/Sales Associate  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Impact Team Member/Sales Associate in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy, laid back, simple tasks such as folding and greeting.
    easy to get along with everyone (most at least)
    you get to manage clearance so you can get first sales
    work with your schedules

Cons

-lazy managers, one of my managers just talked on her phone as all the employees closed.
    -not enough hours, they give hours to people who doesn't even show up
    -sometimes too high expectation and no help from others, they expect impactors to finish all the works when its crazily busy, and the models just stands around afterward
    -impactors get less hours
    -don't expect models to know impactors work because they wont.
    -stockroom is always unorganized because new hires don't know how to manage it well.

just because you are managers, doesn't mean you should stand around watching your employees work, what is team work when you are not helping and joining in? Overall, managers should look at the abilities of employees to do things rather than just their looks.

if you're cool with living in ohio...

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

young, cute employees. cool office. good food options.

Cons

no work-life balance. micro-managed. executives expect you to work 50+ hours

It's a Good starter job if you're fresh out of college and don't have a clear career path.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're not always in the store. You go out recruiting when there's management coverage/overlap in your store (college campuses, high school sporting events, any other random events where you think you can find people to staff your store whether it's for part time associates or MIT's). Learn real hands on management experience ( "the basics" of running a retail store/business.) You can get "borrowed" to other locations in the absence of another manager when needed (within region and out of region but that's every blue moon)..expenses paid for. You can enroll in benefits after 30 days of working. Usually there's a small co-pay fee after Dr. Visits etc.. You Make enough to pay the bills ( rent, gas, groceries, phone bill, and have a little extra to "play" with). You get one hour breaks. 2days off a week. PTO is available ( personal days, sick days, and vacation)

Cons

The overall turnover rate is high. If you live on your own you will basically be living pay check to pay check. You really have little to no wiggle room for saving. You're schedule/days off are never consistent so that can make things a little difficult to plan around. Forget about having weekends off. Holiday vacation? Ahahaha what is that? But let's face it, the holidays are when everyone likes to shop. The "micro-managing" can get really old/annoying fast. The opportunity for pay raise after a year is there but may not always be enough to see a difference in your pay. The overtime pay is definitely not worth it. The PTO is there but good luck getting to actually use them.

Nothing special really; fold clothes, work cash registers, and greet customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model)  in  Roseville, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Roseville, CA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule options. Friendly coworkers for the part.

Cons

No opportunity to move up without getting a college 4-year degree. Customers can get rather impatient because sometimes the store can get understaffed.

Like the local store managers, they are strict about how the store is presented and how the company is perceived.

Easy Easy Easy

Former Employee - Impact Team Member  in  Pasadena, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

The job is easy, I always had great managers to train me. Even when we had low hours, if you don't slack off and actually WORK, you will always get a spot on the schedule.

Cons

NO COMPETITIVE PAY. I got paid the same amount as someone else to fix their careless mistakes on top of my own work.

I would advise the management to maintain a level of professionalism. I have experienced some managers that are entitled and pretentious.

Good starting position

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great environment
    - energetic and motivated individuals
    -good social networking
    -No day was the same
    - Learned a lot of different aspect about retail, recruiting, sales, marketing.

Cons

-long hours
    - underpaid
    - hard to get time off
    - have to work winds

Pay your managers more! It is a good starting position for a recent grad, but not really long term. High turn over rate..

Standard college part-time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model)  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, upbeat environment, work requires little effort. As far as part-time jobs go, this is A-OK and it's certainly a unique retail experience to work at this particular brand.

Cons

No practical skills developed, fairly mindless, pay is just average in the industry.

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!