Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 2,046 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

(1,132 ratings)

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage (in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights
2,046 Employee Reviews

Overall had a good experience working for A&F for a couple of years as my first job.

Sales Associate (Model) (Former Employee)

ProsFun environment to work in and made some good friends working there, including my best friend and we've been going strong ever since.

ConsVery shallow company... now as I'm older and looking back on it. Hiring process is all about looks.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour MIT program is ridiculous. I was in college going to school for business management and was interested in being a MIT but your qualifications is to have a Bachelors. I met all other qualifications and to not allow interested and current employees who have the knowledge, skills and abilities to start the MIT program is foolish.

Going Under

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Prosfun relaxed atmosphere! love my associates

Conspay is minimal, retail hours are not fun.

model

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Daytona Beach, FL (US)

ProsDiscount are great on sales.

ConsThe smell of the place is too much.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, just not for me

Picker (Former Employee) New Albany, OH (US)

ProsFairly easy work, with a 40% discount after a month of work for the duration of employment. Decent Pay and hours were not in short supply.

ConsSometimes we were called in for too many hours, which for a distribution center job, working solo for 10+ hours a day provided too much time to think.

Sales Associate

Model (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsChill Managers that expect their employees to be late or not show up. Can typically be seen chatting with some model somewhere in the store.
    Flexible schedules allow working 0-7 days per week, good for students.
    Discounts.

ConsUpper management expectations of minimum wage employees are too close to perfect for the dying brand that it is.
    Pay, and only one model and one impactor get $0.50 raise each year which is typically awarded to the manager's current BFF, like OMG totes

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your 4 year degrees elsewhere hahaaaaaaa

I learned about visual merchandising.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Hours and I learned a lot.

ConsSuperficial.
    Work isn't hard, but can be tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more training in the beginning would be nice.

Fun at first...quickly became stressful

Store Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe people become your best friends. You have the opportunity to become promoted quickly. If the store you work in doesn't have many managers, it is very hard to take off the days that you want.

ConsUnrealistic standards, pay, work/life balance. You have to turn down people who want to work just because they don't meet the "look"

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you value your people as much as you say you do, why not pay them like it?

Model blah

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFunny people
    cool managers
    smells good ..sometimes

Consunpaid
    not enough hours
    discount is really a discount

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your models better

An amazing experience with endless possibilities and the potential for positive and rapid growth.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsTraining is very hands on, and the opportunity for growth is amazing. You get to meet people from all over the world. Some of my best friends were made working for this company.

ConsSometimes the hours are long, but the work that you put in will be worth it in the end. Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities.

Best work environment, gives you great experience in many areas of business.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Fargo, ND (US)

ProsFun, outgoing and great coworkers, great paid time off, can advance quickly with company if you are good looking and willing to relocate, and fast-paced environment. Many companies look to hire former A&F managers because of our strict standard and we are conditioned to work hard and give results. Plus, they offer amazing benefits at such a low cost!

ConsWorking every weekend, working with high school students who do not care for the job, unable to give raises to great part-timers, and management is forced to recruit others for their same level position.

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!