Abercrombie & Fitch

2,234 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,234 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 244 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity to get management experience right from college.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Billings, MT (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Billings, MT (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It can be fun at times. You get a lot of skills to speak to in future interviews. Its a great first job out of college to be honest. Being in management there, the store is what you make it. If you want to have fun with associates at work while still getting things done you can. I have more cons and advice to management, but I honestly can say this is a legitimate job that you will learn a surprisingly high amount from. Abercrombie is ran extremely well from an operational standpoint.

Cons

The pay is too low compared to other stores and the amount of responsibility the job requires. Store Manager is really a soft cap on your career unless you are willing to move to either Ohio or make Abercrombie your goal and be willing to move to other cities and run stores hoping you will get noticed enough to make it to district manager, and that takes 5-6 years usually. During those 5-6 years you are making very little. The SM pay increase is small with a large jump in stress. The loud environment can get very annoying.

Pay at the store level has to increase if you want to retain people. There are assistant managers out there that have no interest in the Store Manager position because the pay increase is so small. I also feel that a cheap way they could increase customer service is to come out with product guides similar to AAA style guides so associates have something to talk about when we get in a new jacket. If a customer asks "Is this waterproof?" a confident yes and an additional piece of information would be much better than an unconfident yes. They ask us to speak to products but don't give adequate information. Also, DM's who have been in their position for more than a year tend to get pretty picky on things which is fine, but they need to remember that most SM's and AM's do want to work hard. With severely decreased hours budgets there is not enough time to get things done like before. That was a decision upper management made and it has consequences. DM's need to coach SM's on time management rather than simply pointing out issues. SM's hopefully know the issues and hopefully are working constantly, but sometimes it feels that DM's forget this. Also, cut it out with the vacation calendar. There should be way less blackout dates, I know this because I run my store, corporate knows a lot but seriously, I think I have a better idea of when vacations aren't a good idea. It is absurd how many days you cannot take vacations, and the RM approval needed section is just plain dumb. No one wants to bug their bosses boss or even their bosses bosses boss on something that can be handled in store or in district. It feels like a snarky way of telling you not to take vacations on those dates either, regardless of what the actual intention was. Also, great job on the one number (phone number to call when you have any issue), issues are handled well, especially POS (technical support). They are great.

Great People, Cult-like atmosphere

Former Employee - Impact Member in Paramus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Impact Member in Paramus, NJ (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people.
    Great opportunity to meet college-age people

Cons

The pay.
    Cult-like atmosphere.
    Zero accountability.
    High turn-over.

Stop being people's friends, and start being a leader.

Good, short term job

Former Employee - Impact Member in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Impact Member in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours were flexible, the coworkers were fun, and the discount was nice (especially when it was 50%!)

Cons

No real opportunity for growth, management takes themselves too seriously for an hourly, minimum wage job. Also, no raises for anyone, even loyal employees that have stayed with the company and done an outstanding job.

Pretty good, but no form of raise

Current Employee - Floor Model in Douglasville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Floor Model in Douglasville, GA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work
    relaxed
    get to meet young people your age
    flexible hours with high school and college
    Look policy says its strict but not really

Cons

Can not and will not be allowed to work over 20 hours
    Hours are flexible but the scheduling sucks; you will get one or two 4 hours shifts a week.
    Managers are picky and show favoritism

Give more hours

Liked working there because the managers were friendly and the hours were flexible for high school schedule.

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Waterbury, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Waterbury, CT (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule was good at times and it wasn't a hard job to complete, so it was a good learning experience for a high school student.

Cons

Call-ins can be annoying because you don't know if you are going to be working for 5 hours in the afternoon/evening until an hour before you would have to be there. I worked at two different stores two different summers and for some reason the assistant managers that I worked under were never as pleasant as the store managers. A&F got some very good leaders in the manager positions but the assistant store managers both times were cold and I don't know if this has to do with training

No growing opportunity

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

great assosiates and managers. Love them!

Cons

poor hours and very bad pay

Fun Part-Time Gig

Former Employee - "Model"/Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - "Model"/Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, it's a lax environment to work in (depending on managers), flexible hours, casual work attire, pretty good discount on clothes, and the people you work with are usually sociable and easy to get along with.

Cons

Very strict on appearance and maintaining their brand's "look," minimum wage pay, you are not necessarily valued as an employee because of the high number of employees they have.

It was an "ok" job

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's good sales experience. Getting a job at a good retail store isn't always easy, but they are willing to hire young people which makes this a decent place to start out if you're looking to go into retail.

Cons

The pay was quite low, granted it was minimum wage but I still find that low compared to other places I've worked.

Some tasks can be tedious (i.e. folding)...you need to know what a company's standard is going in and if that isn't what you're looking for, you should probably work elsewhere.

Not as bad as it seems

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Bloomington, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Bloomington, IN (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, relatively easy shifts (unless you work the holiday rushes), flexible scheduling.

Cons

It's easy to get bored during your shifts, especially if you're just a greeter. Folding clothes to their standards is not hard, but it is time-consuming. No way that I saw to get well-deserved raises, despite being with the company for an extended period of time and receiving responsibilities above my job description.

Consider pay raises (at least) for your employees who have been doing an exceptional job in their positions.

Poor Pay and Overworked

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounted Clothes, meet fun people, easy tasks

Cons

You feel forced to retire and leave the company by 25 when your in store management

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos