Abercrombie & Fitch

2,333 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,289 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun job with little pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is a lot of fun- you are working with outgoing people who are all your age- management teams are a lot of fun, making work bearable!

Cons

Very slow paced environment- if it is just you working time moves very slowly. There is really no pay raise- I worked there for years and not once got a pay raise. You stay at minimum wage for the most part.

The only thing I could think of is since there is very little age difference from management and associates drama can be stirred up- really unprofessional!

Good for a first retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Paramus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Paramus, NJ (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a decent amount of retail experience is you work as a model (sales associate). The clothes is pretty casual and you aren't REQUIRED to buy the clothing as long as you wear something that's similar enough to what they're currently selling. I always got a break whenever I asked my managers for one, as they weren't scheduled at like specific times or anything. If you're a good worker they are likely to give you a bunch of hours.

Cons

You only get many hours if the managers are fond of you or if you work very hard. Employee discount is only 30%, and NON-negotiable wage no matter the experience or time working there. Corporation visits were unnecessarily stressful as managers became unfairly demanding. Company has VERY questionable values...

Depends what makes you work hard....

Former Employee - Store Manager/International New Stores Team in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people!
    Laid back dress code---has to be all AnF but can wear jeans and chucks to work
    Task oriented
    Decent pay and benefits
    Transfer locations across the country

Cons

Work schedule---nights and weekends
    Judge people based on looks
    Easily becomes a high school environment with cliches across management teams
    Recruiting---have to approach random people to work there, if you hire a great looking 'model' you up your chance of being promoted
    Store is judged by how many and how great the models look. Regardless of how the store looks or how well sales are.

Make an effort to keep great managers. I saw so many talented people leave the company because they were treated with disrespect and not given incentives to stay and move up in the company.
    Stop treating the shirtless models like gods. They don't deserve more money than the managers who put in hours of work.

perfect first job but nothing more

Former Employee - Impact Team Member/Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member/Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

Great managers that are young, fun, and understanding.
    Make friends with all the other associates who are similarly young and outgoing.
    Wonderfully diverse company

Cons

Pay
    Closing three hours after the mall.
    Too much stockroom work to be done.
    folding is annoying

Give associates task that they can put their ideas into but coach them through it.

Good for a job in College

Current Employee - Floor Model in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Floor Model in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome way to meet people
    Flexible hours

Cons

Go through managers like crazy!
    DM's and RM's are awful
    2 people out of the whole store gets raises a year

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good relaxing time after school, meet different people, work in a young and exciting environment, meet new friends and hang out after work

Cons

kind of boring, have to wear AF clothes during work, have to keep fit to show the AF clothes which sizes are really small

i love the management, very flexible

Good for teenagers

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Abercrombie kids and it's very chill. The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job. If you're into the whole, laid-back hair in a messy bun or beachy look, dress code for you will be a piece of cake. The coworkers were super nice and easy to get along with.
    Even though the hours are crappy, it is very flexible.

Cons

I personally like to dress up more and not be so limited to the way I dress myself. This company didn't allow that and it sucked to make sure I wasn't "overly dressed". If you want a job that allows more expression and creativity, this isn't for you. The hours suck. I'm a very good associate and always on my feet doing something for the store. Yet I usually only work for one shift a week. Only once was I scheduled for three days, and that still wasnt my requested minimum of 20 hours a week.

Stop hiring so many people so you can actually provide sufficient hours to your workers. Why is there a need to have a goal number of recruitments each week when you already have so many workers willing to work hours?

Flexible for a student

Former Employee - "Model" in Milford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - "Model" in Milford, CT (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

One great pro was its flexibility. You only work 4/5 hours at once which can also be a con. You work with diverse people makes it fun. Its ideal for a students.

Cons

You only get 4/5 hours a day. Benefits not so well or at least i didn't know about them. Minimum wage is too low for this job although its easy and all, but should be more. Can you get anywhere within the company? sure if you want to do management. The hours can be a problem they won't give you as much as you want.

Be more relaxed.

Simple interview if you know what you're talking about

Current Employee - Model in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Model in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I working here is like working with all of your best friends. I love my managers and everyone I've met through the company. It makes for a fun and motivating workplace. There are always opportunities to take on extra responsibilities and there is a lot of independent work to show that you're a decent employee. Working with new customers all the time is also rewarding and interesting. Diversity is huge for the company, as well as LGBTQ equality.

Cons

At some points, as with any job, it can get a little stressful if a lot is going on. Also sometime you just don't click with a person who you're working with, which can cause communication to become an issue. It can be hard to stay professional in such a fun laid back environment, just remember it's a job, not a social gathering.

I love my managers, but they sometimes forget to update you on important sales or other information you might need to give the customers the best possible experience. Always ask for a 5 minute meeting at the start of your shift! You're manager will appreciate it.

Petty work but often very laid back

Current Employee - Model
    Current Employee - Model

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is young and easy to work with, laid back atmosphere, easy to transfer from store to store at whatever location, recently added job perks

Cons

Jobs get tedious, call-in system is not good, basically all the money I made went right back into buying the company's clothing

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos