Accuvant

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Burns

Great Company to work for!

Marketing (Former Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Accuvant full-time for more than a year

ProsAccuvant is a great company that really cares about their employees. Their headquarters is in the heart of downtown Denver with breathtaking views of the mountains. I loved working with everyone on my team and got along with most everyone at the organization. I love that Dan Burns the CEO is so accessible. He treats every employee like they are special, he knows everyone's names no matter how small your role. My direct manager was by far the best I have ever worked for, the kind of manager that makes you want to do a great job. The entire marketing/ communications team is really amazing. For such a large company we had a very small team and were expected to do a lot with a little. Everyone on the team was really good at their jobs and worked hard to get things done. Accuvant really does take care of their employees, the company meeting every year brings everyone together and pumps everyone up, its a really great experience. I left only because I moved across the country but I would work here again if the opportunity came up. Overall I feel very lucky to have worked at Accuvant.

ConsOur team was really not given all of the resources to do our jobs which meant that we worked a lot of long hours to get everything done. The fact that the management would not get a real CRM tool was a huge negative to working there. Accuvant's benefits could be better, they dont do any 401K matching etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I first started there they would fly everyone new into town for "Accuvant Essentials" a training program. I thought that this was really great since most of our sales team worked remotely and it gave them an opportunity to really get to know the company and connect. At some point due to budget cuts they stopped doing this and started doing it remotely which I think lead to a lot more turn over on the sales team. My advice to management would be to bring back Accuvant Essentials.

Great place to work

I have been working at Accuvant full-time

ProsAccuvant has the culture of putting the client's needs first. This is pervasive in all parts of the business. Working here has allowed me to truly make an impact on my clients security posture.

ConsAs the company grows there is a constant need to find talented people, which is hard.
There is a great deal of information which needs to be learned quickly and the process of teaching new people is not very refined.

Worst for staff and customers

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Accuvant full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf lots of travel and having fun jacking customers over is for you, this is it.

ConsCustomers get screwed.
They really do not care.
Forget career growth or training. It is all BS promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare just a little about customers and what they are getting.
Stop forcing your HR people to write "glowing reviews" here. Face the truth.

Extremely Poor

Pre Sales (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Accuvant full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI cant think of any pros of working here. Most of my time was on the road or on an airplane going to speak to customers about where to eat lunch.

ConsNo direction
Poor leadership
Increasingly harsh culture
Poor quality of life
Below average compensation
No Career growth
Poorly staffed services organization
Management

Advice to Senior ManagementThe entire time I worked at Accuvant I was never once recognized for any of my contributions to the team. My advice would be to put measures in place so this doesn't happen and hard working individuals would be more inclined to stay.

I liked working here as a partner services consultant. Wouldn't mind coming back but under my rules.

Partner Services Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Accuvant full-time for more than a year

Pros- Competitive Salary
- Good retirement plan
- Good health benefits
- Awesome team mates and staff
- Full partner support

Cons- No time for training.
- Too much travel, its customer project driven

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though us consultants are road warriors, we need a break from the road from time to time. Leverage backup resources to give back some personal time for your consultants. Give props to those who deserve it. We would like to know we are making a difference in the company. Also, offer training for your employees because technology is always advancing and I can't learn the new stuff if I'm always on the road at a customer site every week.

A VAR struggling to become something more

I worked at Accuvant full-time

ProsStrong partners and an expansive sales team with significant relationships. Decent opportunities for those who have the right connections. Reasonable compensation.

ConsServices struggle to meet demands and there is little drive to really become a more balanced company. Short term thinking and a lack of commitment will continue to make this a difficult goal for Accuvant to realize. Benefits are below standards for other companies of this size.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to a real mission, invest in that goal, and allow those who know the business to do there jobs without being micromanaged. Leaders should be accountable but need to have the authority to either succeed or fail. If you do not trust in your leaders to do that effectively then make changes. There are way too many silos and a select few influence business direction, which needs to change.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Accuvant full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRapidly growing and expanding company. This is a company where finding the right solution, not just any solution, is the culture. Teamwork is key and everyone is willing to lend a hand when asked. Our customers appreciate our dedication to them rather than pushing a vendor agenda. Company promotes ideas and continuous improvement.

ConsExtreme growth comes with challenges. Those problems are usually good problems not bad problems though.

Lack of Leadership and Overworking Employees

I worked at Accuvant

ProsEnjoyed working with many of my coworkers, short commute.

ConsToo many chiefs and not enough Indians. Close minded, do not heed employee suggestions and ignore signs that MANY employees are unhappy with the current leadership. Corporate has been coming in and letting people go left and right, keeping the wrong individuals. Paid time off is a misnomer in my experience. No compassion for their employees, it is all about work and meeting very high expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of some of the current leadership, they do not have the respect of their employees. There is a reason why people are leaving in an inordinate rate. Look out for your employees, do not expect them to be at the companies beck and call 24/7, listed to those who know their positions, and allow them to do that position. QUIT LYING in interviews and misrepresenting the job people are interviewing for.

Profit Collectors

I worked at Accuvant

ProsAccuvant has done almost a masterful job of convincing an entire industry that they not only talented and focused on their customers' interest, but that they are the only relevant player in their industry.

ConsWhere to start. Highly unethical leadership, loss of vision and business fundamentals, and ever-decreasing market value. Very difficult and punitive culture, from what was a highly strategic and rewards-based culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Poor management practices. Treat consultants like expendable widgets.

Cyber Security Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Accuvant as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNone. Seriously. I have nothing good to say about this glorified body shop.

ConsConsistently trade on their name to get business without ANY idea or ability to deliver. Sign contracts they cannot execute, then go scrambling for resources, which means the field folks get the short end of the stick right along with the customers. If you like having three layers of reporting hierarchy on the same client engagement, come work here. Otherwise, stay away.

Don't pay on time. Don't pay enough. PM's are a joke, can't handle any task at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking "expansion" and start thinking "customer service". Do you really think that bottom-feeding for cheapest talent available to satisfy the latest client engagement cobbled together with false promises and marketing b.s. is a viable long-term business strategy? These are the "people" who go on site with customers to represent you.

These things have a way of building over time. Give it a bit more, and soon the Accuvant name will join the parade of other discredited failures in this business.

Worked for Accuvant? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accuvant reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Accuvant CEO Dan Burns. All 17 reviews are posted anonymously by Accuvant employees.